Home Sports Talk

So, in your opinion, what is the most boring decade for US Coins since 1792?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
And why?

I am far from educated on the subject of US Coins from 1792 forward, but I would venture a guess that the 1970's could very well claim the title of most boring decade.

No silver in coins (except the 1970 half, the Bicentennial dime, quarter and half and the 1971-1976 silver Ikes); no commemoratives, no gold, only a few notable errors, mint and proof sets that few care about; and remember that Disco was in.

All in all a bad decade for US Coins.

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol wrong forum.

IMO I'd say the 80's.

1980's.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • i think 1860 may have been the most boring decade coinwise....

before 1850, you had sporadic coinage and some rarities...then coins circulated freely for the first time ever in the 1850s...

then came the 1860's where things were very similar to the 1850's, yet not many rarities or errors are known from this time.......

Then you had the 1878-S B1 Reverses and 1888-O Oval O and 1899-O Micro O varieties.....then came the 1900's with its rarities and famous coins ....so i think 1860's may have been the most boring decade....

• << <i>lol wrong forum.

IMO I'd say the 80's.

1980's.

Steve >>

Have to agree. The coolest thing in the 80s was the change in metal in the penny.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1860s included the advent of the two-cent piece (which was the first coin in US history to bear the motto "In God We Trust") and the three cent nickel...the 1864 "small motto" two ccent piece is also one of the key coins of the 19th cenury...definitely NOT one of the boring decades..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why, but i always thought them Standing Liberty Quarters was exciting for some reason.
    I'm not sure why, but i always thought them Standing Liberty Quarters was exciting for some reason.

Especially the Type I 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter...which featured a partially exposed breast on Lady Liberty...the breast was covered up on the Type II version...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i> I'm not sure why, but i always thought them Standing Liberty Quarters was exciting for some reason.

Especially the Type I 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter...which featured a partially exposed breast on Lady Liberty...the breast was covered up on the Type II version...image >>

Yes, I'm not sure what the mint was thinking back then? LOL

<< <i>1860s included the advent of the two-cent piece (which was the first coin in US history to bear the motto "In God We Trust") and the three cent nickel...the 1864 "small motto" two ccent piece is also one of the key coins of the 19th cenury...definitely NOT one of the boring decades.. >>

Plus the Confederate coins as well.
    The Philadelphia mint sucks.

Steve
    Good for you.
    The Philadelphia mint sucks.

Steve

I will now collect only S and D mint marks from this point forward! Good thing my 1916-D Mercury dime is from Denver...image

<< <i> The Philadelphia mint sucks.

Steve

I will now collect only S and D mint marks from this point forward! Good thing my 1916-D Mercury dime is from Denver...image >>

It's rare that I don't have a good comeback for an insult - I can't top these. LOL
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    all of them image
    Yeah I thought it was a good one.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I'd say the 1980's was the most boring decade in coin history--same goes for baseball cards.....
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp

• << <i>The Philadelphia mint sucks.

Steve >>

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Rube! ALL OF THEM!
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Money should NOT be collected.

It's supposed to be spent.
    HELLO! That's why it's called money... duh... go buy some cards with it ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By mistakenly posting this thread about coins on the Sports Forum; and by later posting essentially the same thread over on the US Coin Forum I have been able to read responses from "coin geeks" and "sports freaks". Interesting contrast in the replies from the two groups.

Surprisingly some of the responses here have some "coin substance" to them. Other replies here..................... well you guys crack me up.

For example, the reply that says in general that "money should be spent" on "sports cards". LMAO.

Now, what activity is more wierd - collecting little round pieces of metal with pictures on them, inlcuding pictures of dead presidents; or collecting litltle rectangular pieces of card board with pictures of athletes on them?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting question. In truth, both types of collectors are weird, I just can not decide which one is more weird.

• << <i>By mistakenly posting this thread about coins on the Sports Forum; and by later posting essentially the same thread over on the US Coin Forum I have been able to read responses from "coin geeks" and "sports freaks". Interesting contrast in the replies from the two groups.

Surprisingly some of the responses here have some "coin substance" to them. Other replies here..................... well you guys crack me up.

For example, the reply that says in general that "money should be spent" on "sports cards". LMAO.

Now, what activity is more wierd - collecting little round pieces of metal with pictures on them, inlcuding pictures of dead presidents; or collecting litltle rectangular pieces of card board with pictures of athletes on them?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting question. In truth, both types of collectors are weird, I just can not decide which one is more weird. >>

Dead presidents........image
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    Guys that collect both are the weirdest like Stevek.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Guys that collect both are the weirdest like Stevek.

Hey wait a minute...that includes me, too! image

I will say this as a serious collector of both coins and cards...if I had to bank on one hobby to provide a more stable ROI years down the road, I'd choose rare coins, and it's not even close...card collecting is more of a hobby, IMO...and while I hope there are many card collectors out there 50 years from now, the evidence shows that is certainly not guaranteed to happen by any means...

Yeah but you ain't weird he is.

Steve
    Good for you.
    I just began using acid to remove all the D, S, and CC mint marks from my coins, so now it looks like they were minted in Philadelphia. If I find any coins with a NY mint mark, I'll definitely remove that.
    I just began using acid

Yeah, you've been using acid all right if you think the Sillies have ANY chance of repeating this year as NL East Champs!

Where's the mint mark at on baseball cards? Anybody know?

<< <i>Where's the mint mark at on baseball cards? Anybody know? >>

WinPitcher just PM'd me and told me Topps cards are printed at Duryea, Pennsylvania - that's good news at least it's in the great state of Pennsylvania.