Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I sure wish I knew what this one was. . .

Google couldn't even help me.

Made of silver and between the size of a U.S. quarter and half dollar. A little thicker than a half dollar too.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    imagetemple token from india
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Here's a Sikh temple token...link.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Corrected link.
    Roy

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that's cool. Do you think a silver version of that medal would be worth more than the bronze?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Last I heard the bullion value of silver was a large multiple of the "bullion" value of bronze.
    Roy

• Options

<< <i>Last I heard the bullion value of silver was a large multiple of the "bullion" value of bronze. >>

Thanks.
    I was looking though for any numismatic value outside of the metal content. (For example a copper Chain Cent is worth more than a silver Kennedy half dollar.)

Perhaps though, in the case with the coin above, the bronze version is rarer than the silver.

peacockcoins

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    There's some good info on temple tokens in this thread on another forum.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, an Indian "temple token". We western collectors call any devotive or religious medal from India a "temple token", even the Muslim types (wich is technically incorrect, because Muslims don't have "temples"). This one is Hindu, and a commonly encountered design with Rama and Sita on one side, and Hanuman and his attendants on the other; I've seen it in "gold" (brass), "silver" (either pewter, billon or silver-washed) and copper. There are several examples on Zeno.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Thank you fellow collectors, this info is much appreciated and I am grateful.

peacockcoins