Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OT- I need a Loupe

I want to get myself a good loupe (my birthday present to me).

Could I get some recomedations? I have looked in shops here with no luck but if I can get a recommendation I might be able to find one online I can buy.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.
Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Good Morning Wayne,,, I have been using a ANCO magnifier 16X for years and it is a very popular brand among coin dealers. Heavy duty and great lensesimageANCO magnifiers
  • Thanks boz. I will give that a look see.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Mine is really over kill Wayne,,, most only want or use the 10x
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I have the Eschenbach 3 6 9 shown about 1/2 way down this page. image -Preussen

Eschenbach 70 Series Precision Folding Magnifiers
    These precision folding magnifiers have glass lenses that ensure a complete, distortion free view.
    Achromatic Lens: Top quality lens. A color-corrected lens system that guarantees a clear, sharp image. Completely distortion free.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7/8" diameter coated achromatic lens with Dual (3X + 6X = 9X) Magnifiers.
    Made with a fiberglass body and a dust proof closure. With a loop for carrying cord (neck chain No. SA9870-A, sold separate). Completely distortion free.
    Item No. SA9870-B Quantity: Price: 124.99

"Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    If you're looking for something cheap that you won't miss if lost... then get what I use.... 5 piece Eye Loupe Set from Harbor Freight. At $2.99 you can't beat it. If you live near a HF store then you don't even have to pay shipping!! http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=98722
    HB store

Not sure they have them in Norway, I could be wrongimage
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    But they have the internet in Norway... image
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I want to get myself a good loupe (my birthday present to me).

Could I get some recomedations? I have looked in shops here with no luck but if I can get a recommendation I might be able to find one online I can buy.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me. >>

Just make sure it has a 'triple lens', often called a 'triplet loupe'.

I use a 10x triplet loupe, but you may want slightly lower magnification.

If the loupe doesn't have a triple lens, the object viewed will have Chromatic Aberration, which means moderate to severe color distortion (rainbow colors) and Spherical Aberration which means field of view distortions (as you look to the edge of your field of view, the object looks 'curved'.)

There are no 'cheap' triplet loupes. Usually they cost around $30.00.

Any cheap loupe (less than $20.00) will only have one or two lenses and will be far inferior to a triple lens.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Thanks for the tips all. I am not thinking about a cheap loupe. This is a b'day present to myself.
    I am only cheap with othersimage

I have read......on here but cant find the post...a really good loupe will run about a $100.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:

<< <i>Thanks for the tips all. I am not thinking about a cheap loupe. This is a b'day present to myself.

I have read......on here but cant find the post...a really good loupe will run about a $100. >>

I guess my post was invisible image -Preussen

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the tips all. I am not thinking about a cheap loupe. This is a b'day present to myself.

I have read......on here but cant find the post...a really good loupe will run about a $100. >>

I guess my post was invisible image -Preussen >>

No it wasn't I am just old and slow.image
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

You can shop around some, but Wayne Herndon is a very reliable dealer, and quick to ship......at least to the US.

I have an Esch. in the 6x and a 12x for auth. only. Both are the metal housing versions.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I have a Bausch & Lomb triplet. Make sure to get yourself a lanyern for it.
  • Thanks again all
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $100 for a loupe is way too much.

A good triplet loupe can be purchased for $30 to $50.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

<< <i>$100 for a loupe is way too much. >>

Opinions may vary. -Preussen
    For $100 you can buy a Binocular microscope. I use mine all the time
  • Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I've ben using (and liking) a Belomo triplet 10x. Here's a link. belomo. I paid about $25 for mine.
  • I started to suggest one, until I saw all the primo suggestions already posted, and I have instead set bookmarks to the online suppliers. I also live near a harbor freight, and at 3 bucks, I think I'll pick up one of them as well as one of the better ones suggested, when I have the cash. Though someone else asked the question, I have personally benefited from all the responses, so THANK YOU to all.
  • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>$100 for a loupe is way too much.

A good triplet loupe can be purchased for $30 to $50. >>

Please don't take offense, but I have a slightly different opinion. A better triplet can be purchased for $120.

But I have tried several inexpensive triplets and have found them "okay". But I tried a Zeiss triplet at a show and the clarity of the image was night and day against my other less expensive lenses. A few days latter I bought my Zeiss D36 HERE. I paid $85 plus shipping. I see that the link now has $120 price tag. I'd pay that.

I also have a little single lens 5x Eschenbach loupe from ThePennyLady Charmy Harker. She has one left in stock. Just visit her website and email or phone her and she'll sell it to you. This is a great loupe. Very good image. Metal case. Glass lens. I really like the Zeiss lens, but I like the Eschenbach form factor. The Zeiss is a little bulky, but the multiple magnifications is nice. I find myself carrying both loupes a lot and making use of both. I don't remember what I paid for the Eschenbach, but it was like $70-$80 I think. Maybe $50? Charmy will tell you if you ask her.

I did a bit of looking at the Eschenbach site. Wow - they have some nice stuff. I'm pretty sure my Eschenbach is this one..