Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

First Timer needs advice

Hello everyone,

I have never submitted a card to PSA before, although, I've been doing coins to PCGS.
I have several cards I would like PSA graded now. I'm sure these questions have
and will be asked a million times but here goes.

What are the basic pros and cons of PSA grading vs Beckett?

What is the PSA accepted method of getting the card to them, do they have their own
special "flips" or card holders....???

Any other shipping, handling, storage advice would be appreciated guys and gals.

I know these questions are basic beginners stuff....but that's where I am at.

Ken Moore

REDHORSE
kmoore@datasuites.com

Collector of Mint State Modern Commemorative Halves and Dollars

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Ken,

I won't claim to be an expert, but I have about 1500 cards to PSA under my belt now. I've found that PSA is "generally" about half a grade more lenient than Beckett is on a number of the cards that I've cracked out of Beckett cases. A 7.5 will generally get a PSA 8, an 8.5 will generally get the 9 and I'd say this has been consistent 80% of the time. Same grades 8.0 usually gets the PSA 8 - same with the 9. Although that might be changing slightly since a number of us have been seeing more 7's and fewer 9's on our last few invoices than in past ones.

I've found that cards in PSA holders bring in slightly more than their Beckett of SGC counterparts.

For packing cards to go to PSA - Card Saver I's are the preferred choice by PSA. They even have a disclaimer "not responsible for damage" on their invoices if you don't use them. They run between $.04 to $.08 depending on how many and whom you buy them from.

The PSA invoices only have 25 lines on them, but you can string any number of them together by crossing out the invoice number on the 2nd, 3rd, etc and putting the invoice of the 1st along with 2 of 5, 3 of 5, etc.

Good luck on your submissions!

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    What cards are you thinking about submitting?