Home Precious Metals
Options

What about mortgage rates....Are they at the bottom?

I ask because if PMs go up and inflation goes up

how much longer do we have at current mortgage

rates?
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If mortgage and interest rates do go higher you can kiss any economic recovery good-bye.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    the rates are at least bouncing the bottom.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rates may be near a bottom but unfortunately the decline in home prices is anything but steady. Besides a great mortgage rate also to remember to factor in a continuing 5-10%/yr decline in home prices, plus 5%+ per year in property taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Another thing to not rule out, the government coming in with a mortgage rate rescue at 4% or below. They do call the shots at Fannie and Freddie.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I will be refinancing at 4%/30year for some breathing room but can't complain now mine is at 4.875%/15year since 2005.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be refinancing at 4%/30year for some breathing room but can't complain now mine is at 4.875%/15year since 2005. >>

Me too. My bank is sitting on ready, and when the hit 4% for 30, I'm going to pull the trigger. They were 4.3% 4 weeks ago.

-wes

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listening to Bernake speak this morning, I get the feeling that mortgage rates, and fed funds rates will remain low for the forseeable future.

Anyone feel like spending a wad? I don't.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I will be refinancing at 4%/30year for some breathing room but can't complain now mine is at 4.875%/15year since 2005. >>

I'm in a similar boat and I've been kicking this around for awhile. I have 9 yrs left on a 15 year at 5.25%. No problem cash flowing it now, but new mortgage loans are getting pretty cheap. It might not be a bad idea to take out a new 20-year or so in the 4.5% range. It would free up some cash flow to put elsewhere, plus it would drop the payment which is not a bad insurance policy in an iffy economy. Of course the downside is more interest paid in the long run due to extending the term.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Listening to Bernake speak this morning, I get the feeling that mortgage rates, and fed funds rates will remain low for the forseeable future.

Anyone feel like spending a wad? I don't. >>

Rates do not appear to be in any hurry to go higher..

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 9 years left on 15 year 5.5%

$58,000 to go

Trying to pay off by Christmas this year

Then it's wealth Building time

According to Dave Ramsey

18 years till retirement
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    I have two mortgages and I am retired. I would never want to pay off my mortgages and live in a house that is 'debt-free'. It is an archaic goal and does not make too much sense, given the tax structure in America. Furthermore, when you start tapping into your 401k plans, you will want that mortgage interest to offset your deductions from that account. If somebody would write me a 100 year mortgage, I would take it!

OK, blast away!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have two mortgages and I am retired. I would never want to pay off my mortgages and live in a house that is 'debt-free'. It is an archaic goal and does not make too much sense, given the tax structure in America. Furthermore, when you start tapping into your 401k plans, you will want that mortgage interest to offset your deductions from that account. If somebody would write me a 100 year mortgage, I would take it!

OK, blast away! >>

You will find out the disadvantages of having a mortgage when you are living in a cardboard box under a brdige somewhere
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another thing to not rule out, the government coming in with a mortgage rate rescue at 4% or below. They do call the shots at Fannie and Freddie. >>

Yes, but I think those mortgages are reserved for people that are....as Rick Santelli calls them....LOSERS!! Us responsible people get the LOSER rate plus 1%.image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Providing lower cost loans to non losers would free up monthly

surpluses to be spent and rebuild the economy. It would be

shortsighted to benefit just those on or below the edge of survival.
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>I have 9 years left on 15 year 5.5%

$58,000 to go

Trying to pay off by Christmas this year

Then it's wealth Building time

According to Dave Ramsey

18 years till retirement >>

I like Dave too, but the question in my mind is, does it make sense to have a bunch of $ tied up in "home equity" which as we've seen can disappear at any time. Or would it make more sense to save it someplace liquid, that long term might do better than 5%?
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have two mortgages and I am retired. I would never want to pay off my mortgages and live in a house that is 'debt-free'. It is an archaic goal and does not make too much sense, given the tax structure in America. Furthermore, when you start tapping into your 401k plans, you will want that mortgage interest to offset your deductions from that account. If somebody would write me a 100 year mortgage, I would take it!

OK, blast away! >>

The banks must love you. You end up paying several times the amount you borrowed.

First thing to recognize is that mortgage interest is a deduction. Not a tax credit. So if you pay $15,000 in mortgage interest, and are in the 25% tax bracket, you theoretically save $3,750. You're still paying the bank $15,000 for the privilege of saving one-fourth of that amount in taxes.

The reason I said you "theoretically" save that amount is that the "standard deduction" for married couples is about $10,000. You can either "itemize" your tax deductions (adding up mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable giving, state + local income taxes, etc.) or take the standard deducution. You would only itemize if the total of your deductions (the ones I listed) exceeds the standard deduction. The large majority of Americans don't itemize.

At the other end of the spectrum, if your income is too high (in the AMT range), you cannot use all of your itemized deductions. They get cut down for people who make $160,000 or more. Link.

Maybe you itemized, but consider what the real cost of the savings is. If all your itemized deductions (including the $15,000 in mortgage interest) add up to $20,000, the real amount of tax deduction you got from keeping the mortgage is $10,000 (because you would've gotten the other $10,000 as a standard deduction anyway). That means in the 25% bracket, you paid $15,000 in interest to the bank for a tax savings of $2,500.

Generally, the mortgage interest benefit is NOT a reason to keep your mortgage.

I tend to find that the people who think it's a great benefit, generally don't do their own taxes and don't understand the various tax concepts (itemizing, deduction, credit, standard deduction, etc.). Not saying you're one of those, but others I've spoken with are. The tax benefit of mortgages has become kind of an urban legend which, when you examine it, is really overrated.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I like Dave too, but the question in my mind is, does it make sense to have a bunch of $ tied up in "home equity" which as we've seen can disappear at any time. Or would it make more sense to save it someplace liquid, that long term might do better than 5%? >>

If you can get a guaranteed rate of return higher than your mortgage, go for it. Otherwise, you are probably better getting the 100% guaranteed rate of return that comes when you pay it off and save the interest you would've otherwise had to pay.

I would assume the bank (or its investors) wasn't stupid when it made the loan. If they thought they could have gotten a higher rate of return from an equally-safe investment, they would have done so and wouldn't have loaned you the money.

You can't really compare a rate of return that "might" come in (or which might be negative or even go to zero) with a guaranteed rate of return you get from paying off your own debt.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    well said second

The AMT for me, takes away any incentive to hold a mortgage
  • Options

Yeah, our realtor stopped in his tracks when I brought up the Standard Deduction. That pretty much torpedo'd the "it's a great deduction" talk.

We're happy to be at the point where we double-up itemized deductions into every other year, and collect the Standard Deduction in the off years. For homeowners in our neighborhood, it's extremely difficult to beat the tax advantages of that.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I, too, am waiting to refinance into a low interest loan. My 5/1 is now in the adjustment-every-year portion. But the interest rate is very low, so i'm patient.

The biggest benefit by far?

It's my house. I keep it in excellent shape. No image landlord. In terms of quality..."it's not a rental".

And, although I am in California and started out with a Jumbo...i'm 'conforming' now with perfect credit, so I will be able to demand the lowest interest rate.

Only six years into the mortgage and most of my coworkers who rent are paying more than my PITI.

As far as refinancing goes, one gets to pull the trigger only once unless one likes to image money away.
    I figure i'll refinance at some point this year. Some time soon.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Related question:

Are jumbo rates higher only because the government subsidizes smaller loans? Or is there another factor at play?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the point? Dear Leader will want my house soon for the good of the "state". And I agree. I have been too successful and it is not fair to have so much. I want to help lady who can't pay for mortgage or gas in car.

Now, tell me where line is for Soylent Green.

Cr. Renski
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're going up it sure is not because of demand.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    OK, everyone that weighs over 250 pounds,

will have 30 days to finish up your affairs and

report to your local Soylent Green processing

plant.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Related question:

Are jumbo rates higher only because the government subsidizes smaller loans? Or is there another factor at play? >>

This is a simplistic view, lots of complex stuff (as well as media propaganda and politics) going on here:

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, those cute little names we have come to know...they do not buy loans over $417,000.

That means that the available cash for Jumbo loans is smaller than for Conforming.

With more folks competing over less money...that gives you higher interest rates. The goods go to the highest bidder.

There is also a perception that Jumbo loans are riskier. However, I do not buy that argument.

There is pressure to raise this limit, especially from groups such as Realtors who want to see more, and higher priced houses sell.

But the limit helps out most folks, as it keeps interest rates for most folks low. It's sort of a 'progressive' interest rate where the folks that can afford more...pay more.