Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Son's head has been shaved. -- Photos attached

Ok need some thoughts/help
I am one proud dad --- my son Carter (10 years old) will be shaving his head in support for kids with cancer and in memory of his mom's cousin Maureen. Our home town throws one of the best St. Patrick's Parades outside of NYC and there are several events parade day. The Rockville Centre St. Patrick's Parade is unique because the parade also raises money for 3 different charities each year. The St. Baldrick's foundation St. Baldrick's website ,which was a sponsored charity a few years ago, has its annual head shaving for kids with cancer that day.(If you are not familiar with their mission you should check out their site). My son has decided to try and raise 300.00 and will have his head shaved. (his before pic is here Carter Cosgrove's before shot
imageimage

I would like to do something for him to show how proud I am and thought about getting him a David Wright item (favorite player). He has no idea and does not expect anything. I thought first about a auto ball but will not buy anything off of ebay -- would need to get it from Wright's foundation -- but the price is crazy. Then was looking at a PSA 9 or 10 rookie but was not sure what his true rookie is and again don't want to go crazy on the price or would be interested in "other" items which is where I am looking for the thoughts/help. I don't want this to be a reward but just something to show that I am super proud.

If anyone is near Rockville Centre on March 21st come on down to see the parade or watch the head shaving afterwards its a great day.

Thanks for the input
Mike Cosgrove
Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

Comments

• Options
    Very cool of your son to do that.

Wrights Bowman Chrome rookie would be way too expensive but his Bowman Heritage or regular Bowman in PSA 10 should be rather easy to obtain. For $200, you can get one of each right now in PSA 10.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I can't really add too much to the Wright conversation, but kudos to you and your son. Both very generous acts.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I would add 2002 Bowman PSA 9 or a Bowman Heritage PSA9 will cost you $30 ea. It sounds like your doing a great job raising your son, if he is willing to give up his hair for a great cause! Congrats to him and your family.
  • Options
    I agree with what Matt said. My son is also 10 years old and is probably too vain about his appearance to do something like this. Of course that may be different if he had been personally touched by the cause.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... tell Carter THANKS and that I am very proud of him. We were involved with St. Baldrick's Day for several years at Napper Tandy's in Smithtown. (We live in St. James) My daughter, Francesca, who will be 10 in April, was diagnosed with Cancer in 2003 when she was 3 years old. After more than NINE HUNDRED CONSECUTIVE days of Chemo and 25+ Spinal Taps, I am happy to say that she is a SURVIVOR for 3.5 years! And why am I still able to tuck her in at night and give her a great big kiss? Because of people like CARTER who raise money to help find a cure for this horrible illness. Thanks again CARTER!

Mike ... Francesca has been a poster child for the Leukemia Society's Coinboards for several years. They are all over the country and a LOT of diners, etc here on Long Island have them on their counters. Below is a picture of one. Take a close look next time you stop at a diner, etc....

The picture was taken when Francesca was 6 years old.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with what Matt said. My son is also 10 years old and is probably too vain about his appearance to do something like this. Of course that may be different if he had been personally touched by the cause. >>

This is big for him --- he is a little nervous about what the kids at school are going to say but knows that his hair will grow back and after we visited the site and looked at some of the stories of the kids who are in treatment or have passed he quickly made up his mind. My wife and I are very involved with the parade and this year is special since my wife's cousin's foundation was chosen as a recipient charity. He wanted to do something himself in honor of her cousin and we were amazed that he chose this. His "cool" uncle has done this for the past few years ~ this year it will be Carter and his uncle on the stage at the same time. It really is an amazing and inspiring event and they are all over the country --- if you get a chance to see a shaving event you will be impressed at the organization and the people who are having the their heads shaved

• Options
    Mike, reading that last bit gave me chills. Made me look to seeif we had anything similar around here. Although, it wouldn't only take a second or two to shave the little hair I have left. Big props to your son and I wish I had a few David Wright items laying around for him but I despise the Mets.
  • Options
    Bill
    Thanks for the thought on the wright cards --- when we first went on the site and reviewed some of the kids stories -- you just can't help but get chills --- the first several had status' of in treatment, cancer free, in remission but then we viewed some that the status was Angel -- and that is just a punch in the stomach --- I have 3 kids 10, 8 and 1 and seeing these kids with their beautiful smiles that have passed just gets to you.

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Great cause and good luck with. Wright autos are not expensive, he signs a lot. I even believe that he signed a buy back auto a year or so ago of his
    bowman rookie card...it was numebred to like 500 something..should be able to get a good price on that one.

Kevin
  • Options
    PM sent.
    Mike
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    LINK

My friend owns this Wright Bat. He won it on a national fantasy baseball league that was free to play and this was the first place prize. You can check into the certification and ask a few Wright experts here about the sig. If you are interested I will see what the best price he will do on it. If your not interested in it that is cool also. Congrats on a great kid.
  • Options
    Hey Allen
    thats a great bat but I am going to pass on it --- I have promised him a Gary Carter bat when he makes it to a brown belt in karate (he is at orange now - 4belts to go). he is very excited for that and it gives him a little extra to work hard for. Thanks for the kind words about my son
    Mike

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I have a factory sealed DAVID WRIGHT Topps Sterling box.....I have not opened it. I will let it go for $100 delivered. If interested PM me.....
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Very nice thing to do... i wish I had some David Wright cards around here, but don't. Does your son collect a specific team i may can find something for him. I assume he is a mets fan??
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice thing to do... i wish I had some David Wright cards around here, but don't. Does your son collect a specific team i may can find something for him. I assume he is a mets fan?? >>

yep Thank God he is a Mets fan --- lots of kids around here are Yankee fans

• Options
    I've got a David Wright Bobblehead they gave away at the stadium a couple years ago, new and in the box. It's yours/his for the price of postage.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

In my experience, kids love Fatheads. For around $100, you can get your son a life-sized David Wright that won't ruin your walls.

link

Ross

edited to add: I think they carry other, smaller Wright pieces too.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    A solid card would be his 2002 Bowman Buyback Auto. It's limited to /284 or something like that. I think you can get it for about $80 on eBay. Auction that with a NY Mets hat and Wright Bat.
  • Options

<< <i>I've got a David Wright Bobblehead they gave away at the stadium a couple years ago, new and in the box. It's yours/his for the price of postage. >>

Thanks ~PM sent~ he loves bobbleheads -- never thought of that

• Options
    Just wanted to thank 41GoudeyGuy (Brian) he sent on a Wright Bobblehead --- my son is going to love it
    Thanks
    Mike

• Options
    Glad you got it. I hope it survived the trip without getting damaged. I was a bit concerned when I was shaking it at the post office.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    Just needed to say thanks to justmichael (Mike) who sent along an awesome David Wright 2002 Bowman 381 and 2005 Fleer National Past time Signature Swings Autographed card.

One only has to read the boards lately to see the number of people helping each other out ~~ justmichael, 41GoudeyGuy and everyone else who has expressed very warm thoughts are added to that list --- Carter is very excited to do this ~ we have a countdown going now (19 days) and I can't wait to see his face when I hand him the booblehead and cards, tell him its from people he doesn't even know and then show him this board. This whole process is one of those learning experiences that will stick with him forever

I will post some pics when the hair comes off (you can see his before shot from the link on page 1) and holding his new treasures

Thanks again to everyone

Mike Cosgrove

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Mike,
    As a parent of a cancer survivor I can tell you what your son is doing really means a lot. It's really difficult for some kids when they lose their hair. My son didn't really care all that much. I offered to shave my head too, but he said I was ugly enough and couldn't stand looking at me bald too! image Obviously he kept his sense of humor while going through treatments!
    I ended up growing a beard as a compromise. It's something that wouldn't mean much to anyone except us but I plan to keep it for the rest of my life.
    I don't think I have many David Wright cards but I will look around. If I find some their yours.

Tell your son what he's doing is AWESOME!!

Bob...
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,
    As a parent of a cancer survivor I can tell you what your son is doing really means a lot. It's really difficult for some kids when they lose their hair. My son didn't really care all that much. I offered to shave my head too, but he said I was ugly enough and couldn't stand looking at me bald too! image Obviously he kept his sense of humor while going through treatments!
    I ended up growing a beard as a compromise. It's something that wouldn't mean much to anyone except us but I plan to keep it for the rest of my life.
    I don't think I have many David Wright cards but I will look around. If I find some their yours.

Tell your son what he's doing is AWESOME!!

Bob... >>

Bob
    I'm glad your son is doing well --- and thanks for the kind words about my son
    Mike

• Options
    Quick update

Carter has met his goal ---- anything more is a bonus

Got a email from St. Baldrick's with a video
    If you get a chance check it out Please view the video!!!

• Options
    With 1 week to go until the big day - I wanted to say thanks to ArchStanton (Jim) who sent along several Wright Cards including a jersey card. Carter was got a very nice surprise waiting for him and it is because of the wonderful people on these boards.

Over the last week I am afraid we lost several great people over issues big and small but these boards are much more than cards, disagreements etc... there are great threads all over the place where one member is helping the other and that makes this place great.

To date Carter has met and is exceeding his financial goal, --- if anyone is in RVC on the 21st stop by and say Hi

• Options
    Well he did it as you can see from the photos all the hair has come off. Thanks again to justmichael (Mike) ~ 41GoudeyGuy (Brian) ~ ArchStanton (Jim) for sending the great Wright items.

The Parade was amazing and the head shaving was packed. Bonus was that his cousin was able to shave him. Again if anyone has the opportunity to be a part of one I highly recommend it.
    Mike

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

Once again, tell Carter THANK YOU for raising the money to help find a cure for Cancer. Let him know that he has helped other children like my daughter Francesca, who is the same age as Carter. When Francesca was diagnosed at age three I did not know if I would still be able to hug her at age 9 ... but because of people like Carter my little girl is still here today and living life like any soon to be 10 year old!

THANKS CARTER!

Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Some threads never get old! (lawnmowerman posted this link for another). It was such a cool thread, I just wanted to give it a bump into the present! image

rd
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    That is really cool...you should be very proud of your son. I was diagnosed w/ non-hodgkins lymphomia when I was 11 and endured 3 years of chemo, radiation, experimental treatments and a bone marrow transplant. I lost my hair 3 separate times and I can't tell you how embarassing that is as a pubescent pre-teen.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg