Home Sports Talk
Options

Emmitt Smith dumped by ESPN

ESPN has just gotten more grammatically and factually correct, yet lost.

Not renewing the contract of one Emmitt Smith may have been the "smart" thing to do, but as Emmit has shown us during his years with ESPN, intelligence (or "Smartitude" if you ask Emmitt) is overrated.

While viewers have learned nothing from listening to Emmitt except how not to speak properly, it's the entertainment value that Emmitt brought that will be missed. Various sites throughout the interwebs (and the Jimmy Kimmel Show) have had countless hours upon days upon years of fun at Emmitt's factual and grammatically gaffes.

Such tidbits of wonderfulness:

"Eli Manning has been given the rice of passage."
"The way you perform make them feel about you different."
"He was coming through line to make a move and got blind sided by Al Wi... Al Wi... Al Jackson." (Note: the player in question was actually Al Harris)
"They can ride Adrian Peterson into the doggone playoff!"
"This kind of inconsistency play going up against a team like New England will get you completely blowed out."
"The strengths of the Patriots team got debacled!"
"I love those style of play that the Titans bring to the game."
How dare ESPN let Emmitt go? The nerve of those proper, grammar-loving ---------. They let perhaps the unintentionally funniest commentator in the history of sport go, simply because he doesn't use proper sentence structure or actual NFL knowledge or real words?

We all should have seen this coming, as Emmitt was booted off of NFL Sunday Countdown this season in favor of being simply on Monday Night coverage, but the shock is still there.

Between the end of the George W. Bush era and the fact that Emmitt is done on ESPN, knowing that there is nobody left on TV to make me feel better about my own butchering of the English language will be a tough pill to swallow. I know many others are on my proverbial boat.

But don't worry Emmitt, I got your back. I understand the genius behind the awkwardly Northern-sounding Southern accent and I appreciate your two years of service in front of the camera.

And I will be sitting here, waiting for your triumphant return to television, waiting for you to grace us all with your—well, whatever it is you brought.

Here's to you, Emmitt.

(And now, for Emmitt Smith's response to the news)

I find it very disappointing that ESPN have decided not to continuate my ten year with them. I brought all of my thinking and my smart to the commentator booth, but ES....EP....ESN....EPSN feel that my analysts was not on the level of other effective communicator such as Chad Berman, Steve Young, Channing Sharp, or Wilson Churchill.

I just want to make it clear that I don't hold a grunge against Roger Goodell or any of the other owners of ESPN and that my time spent bringing my deaf of NFC knowledge to TNT were some of the best decade of my life.

I will use this time off to deflect on my life and attempt to make a comeback to the NHL. I haven't played or working out in quite some many years, but I feel like my vision, my brawn, and my strong are all in such position that I can win two or three MVP awards every season that I comes back to the NAACP.

However, my love for analysting will never went away and I will be sure to come back to the televisions and educationalize the public at large on new ounces of the NAFTA. I would like to thank my multitude fans for their support of me, Emmitt Smith, during these difficult time, but I tell them not to fret. I will be back on the doggone ESPNAACP in none time and will be better than forevers.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ....but yet Shannon Sharpe still has a job. How does a horse that can kind of speak get a broadcasting job?
  • Options

<< <i>....but yet Shannon Sharpe still has a job. How does a horse that can kind of speak get a broadcasting job? >>

Who knows? I'm sure that CBS is aware of Emmitt Smith leaving ESPN and that might get them to look more closely at Shannon Sharpe's
    performance.
  • Options
    Amazed it took ESPN this long.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>....but yet Shannon Sharpe still has a job. How does a horse that can kind of speak get a broadcasting job? >>

It really gets bad when he gets a little excited about something. The man just flat out cannot speak the English language.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazed it took ESPN this long. >>

Me too Mark. I cringed every time he opened his mouth.

Great player but definitely not a public speaker.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    At least he has the hair commercials to fall back on.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least he has the hair commercials to fall back on.

image >>

I thought he was doing weight loss commercials??image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>At least he has the hair commercials to fall back on.

image >>

I thought he was doing weight loss commercials??image >>

Next up... Fade to Emmitt laying on ground:

"Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some years ago, the people in the SF Bay Area, then California and then the USA publicized and supported "Ebonics" as a separate and distinct language (or maybe dialect) that should be recognized and society, by our edumacation system and by local, state and national governments.

Perhaps Emmit Smith can get a gig as the spokesman for a new and revived pushed for "Ebonics".

I also get a chuckle out of persons with limited to non existent speaking skills and/or limited to non existent knowledge of anything outside of a narrow area (regardless of race, creed, skin color, etc.) who have achieved fame and notoriety in a certain field (i.e. sports, NASCAR, Rodeo, hog calling, acting, singing, music, art, modeling, science, politics, business) sufficient to have them have name/face recognition with the general population. When these persons are given a public forum (TV or Radio), it many times turns into a complete disaster.

I also get a chuckle out of people who have a lofty (and totally unwarranted) opinion of themselves speaking publicly and putting their foot into their mouths, without any clue of what they are doing.

As example I recall is an elderly, distinguished looking, well dressed man who was giving his opinion on TV about wonderful, uplifting and thrilling "DIVERSITY" [which is the sole reason why the USA is so great].

This proud proponent of "Diversity" kept talking about the greatness of same, all the while completely oblivious to the fact that he was using "Diversitivity" in the place of "Diversity". During his entire time on TV he kept speaking about "Diversitivity" and had no clue that he came off looking like a fool.
  • Options
    No loss at all.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Eric Young is on deck.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    He might have been a poor commentator but I'll miss my weekly E.Smith fix.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    Nothing I hate worse than a "brain dead" retired NFL player who now tries to make a living with their mouth. Please just leave that job to those who actually did their homework and attended class back when they were in high-school and college!!

I dread the day Rickey Henderson should ever get an analyst job--my 12 year-old has a better command of the english language than he does!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Somewhere Dexter Manley's phone just rang.

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Somewhere Dexter Manley's phone just rang.

JS >>

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of him...was he a dancer or something like that?
  • Options

<< <i>Never heard of him...was he a dancer or something like that? >>

He use to stage double and dance for MC Hammer.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Never heard of him...was he a dancer or something like that? >>

• Options
    I wish I had thought of this -

"Emmitt Smith never really cared about the rumors that Troy Aikman was bisexual. The way Emmitt saw it, if Troy wanted to ride a bike, it was fine by him."
  • Options
    Jimmy Kimmel's tribute to Emmitt:

youtube link
  • Options

<< <i>Jimmy Kimmel's tribute to Emmitt: >>

classic!- and it could've been alot longer!
  • Options
    My favorite Emmitt ESPN moment was when Steve Young turned to a confused Emmitt and asked, "Do I have repeat that again?" I think its fair to say they are not best friends.