Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ken Griffey Jr AUTO $4,000.00????

I know Ken Griffey Jr is a Hall of Famer, but I had no idea this card would be worth so much -- did you???

Ken Griffey Jr AUTOGRAPH

Craig in Texas

Comments

• Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    People love their buybacks.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Why does your URL go to http://card2.mytoppscards.com/ , then redirect to eBay?

<< <i>I know Ken Griffey Jr is a Hall of Famer, but I had no idea this card would be worth so much -- did you???

Ken Griffey Jr AUTOGRAPH

Craig in Texas >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    That seller was using a stolen photograph of that card and when questioned on it, he wouldn't give a reason.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    That card is a typical new product fad. This time next year you will be able to buy one for about $200.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>That card is a typical new product fad. This time next year you will be able to buy one for about $200. >>

You know little about Griff collectors. It might even sell for more next year if you can believe that. Grif collectors are rabid, doesn't always make
    sense, but it is good for us when we pull something high end and get good coin for it!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>You know little about Griff collectors. >>

You know nothing about anything not related to Heritage or blowing horns.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You know little about Griff collectors. >>

You know nothing about anything not related to Heritage or blowing horns. >>

Actually I know quite a bit about modern cards, that is what I collect, if that makes you mad then I am sorry. Over the past 4 years Griffey has outsold
    every player in baseball...better than Bonds, better than Arod, and better than Jeter. Nomo might be the only exception believe it or not.

I dont' know much about vintage, but Im learning everyday here, its a great place to be....even you might learn something!

Cheers

Kevin
  • Options
    oh snap. Bill you got served!
  • Options
    +1 for a classic South Park episode.
    Mike
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Nomo might be the only exception believe it or not. >>

• Options
    Rare Nomo inserts fetch insane prices.A Nomo Crusade #1/25 just went for over $1000.
    Mike
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Fools and their money....
  • Options

<< <i>Fools and their money.... >>

autograph of a future autograph on his best rookie card...

52 topps card of some nobody PSA 8....

another mans junk is another mans.....
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Griffey Auto = 1000 shares of Citi!
  • Options

<< <i>Griffey Auto = 1000 shares of Citi! >>

LMAO

yeah but one is heading up and the other down
  • Options
    Hey - question on this topic. I have a buyback auto Dan Marino card this is 7/9 or something like that. Is this also ridiculously valuable? It's an SP. Actually, I have 4 of these, but this one (I think) is supposed to be the best one. I was hoping for like 500 bucks, but maybe I'm not understanding the market. ??
    yabbadabbadoo
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>Hey - question on this topic. I have a buyback auto Dan Marino card this is 7/9 or something like that. Is this also ridiculously valuable? It's an SP. Actually, I have 4 of these, but this one (I think) is supposed to be the best one. I was hoping for like 500 bucks, but maybe I'm not understanding the market. ?? >>

/////////////////

Philip,

I have NO idea but I did find THIS!.

If this is a similar card, you could watch to see what happens...

PoppaJ
  • Options
    HAH! That's my card. That's why I was asking. Thanks
    yabbadabbadoo
  • Options

<< <i>Actually I know quite a bit about modern cards, that is what I collect, if that makes you mad then I am sorry. Over the past 4 years Griffey has outsold
    every player in baseball...better than Bonds, better than Arod, and better than Jeter. >>

Surely a modern expert like yourself would know that thanks to steroids, comparing Griffey to Bonds or Arod is moronic. However, feel free to find a few identical certified auto cards from the same set where Griffey outsold Jeter or Arod. I checked eBay recent sales. It appears Arod autos, even those that ended after the steroid news came out, clearly outsold Jeter.
  • Options
    You are basing your theory on one ebay search?

LMAO

JS
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see $500, but almost $4,000...

Way too much....Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Somebody paid $4k with that scan?

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Somebody paid $4k with that scan? >>

lol it's not a scan...its a stolen picture of a card that they don't have in hand...I'm familiar with the collector who actually purchased that very card a couple of weeks ago...oddly enough, for less than half the price and with a better scan in the original auction.

The whole auction is very odd.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I'm confused - was it a fraudulent sale?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    That is a high price for a buyback auto of his 1989 Upper Deck card. The first buyback of the Kid, I believe back in 1999, were running $1200 or so. The fact of the matter is, the quantity is just increasing as the years go on. I think there were 99 back then, I'm quite sure there are 3 times as many. So for it to sell for $4000, just doesn't sound right. Lastly, PSA/JSA auto graded 89's UD of The Kid are going for $300-400.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm confused - was it a fraudulent sale? >>

The image used is of a card the seller doesn't own. He convienently half-cropped the serial number, but it's the same card.

When questioned, the seller wouldn't provide the serial number...so who knows.

From auction...

From guy who actually owns the card...
  • Options
    I hope the guy didn't pay for that card. The auction is a scam and who would bid that much on such a poor scan in the first place. Will have to see if any feedback gets left.
  • Options

<< <i>You are basing your theory on one ebay search? >>

Yes I am. You claim Griffey outsells Arod, Bonds and even Jeter yet I only use Arod as an example after he admitted to steroid use and Arod outsells Griffey. So much for your superior knowledge of modern cards.
  • Options
    Well, the 89' UD buyback inserted into 1999 Upper Deck packs was limited to 100 copies, and I know of them selling for as much as $1,900. There was also an 89' UD buy back in Ultimate Collection a couple of years back, and there were 15 copies of that one. I have seen it exceed $2,000 a couple of times. It's safe to say with all the crazy/hardcore Griffey collectors, those buybacks will all remain in the four figure price range. I don't think $4,000 is accurate in the long run, but I would not count out $1,200-$1,500+.

edit: spell
  • Options
    Shuddup!!!
  • Options
    nice analysis Stan.....I think with all the Grif hype these past few weeks his cards are on everyones radar...you are right these will soften some...can anyone
    even confirm this auction was legit?

Kevin
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    if yoer dumb enuff to buy it, id be dumb enuff to sell it to ya thats for sure, it woudnt be worth that much to me image
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Another one sold for $4k
  • Options
    Wow that's amazing. I don't even think the AROD 1994 SP Buy back goes for $4k~ I believe Rose City has the #13 (arod jersey number) at least it is on their AD that they have with SMR.
  • Options

<< <i>Why does your URL go to http://card2.mytoppscards.com/ , then redirect to eBay?

<< <i>I know Ken Griffey Jr is a Hall of Famer, but I had no idea this card would be worth so much -- did you???

Ken Griffey Jr AUTOGRAPH

Craig in Texas >>

>>

the link is an ebay rover link , so when we click....
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    So, 95% of this card's value is in the fact that UD took it out of circulation, got it signed, then put it back into circulation with a number and a little certificate?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>So, 95% of this card's value is in the fact that UD took it out of circulation, got it signed, then put it back into circulation with a number and a little certificate? >>

You got it.... Or then again, maybe they fired the presses back up and printed more. I have a friend who is an ex-employee of Upper Deck, and he claims that he knows for a fact that they printed more 1989 Upper Deck cards in 1990. Who knows... but as long as I have known the guy, he has been an honest person. I have no reason to doubt what he told me.