Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RITM to Interview “Cat” Whitfield: (Interview Posted)

2/22/09

Robert “Cat” Whitfield was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 21st round of the 1977 amateur entry draft and would play in the O’s Minor League system from 1978-1983. In the 1980 Spring Training, Cat beat out Cal Ripken, Jr., for the everyday starting shortstop position with the AA Charlotte O's. During the 1980 Southern League Championship campaign, Cat would play 122 games, all at shortstop. It would not be until Cat got married during the 1980 season that Cal Ripken, Jr., would see action at shortstop. On August 15, 1980, Cat handled 16 chances at shortstop without an error. Injuries would limit Cat to 96 games over the 1981-1983 seasons in Charlotte.

Growing up, Cat pitched three no hitters in succession in Babe Ruth competition. He graduated in 1974 from Charleroi (PA) High School and earned three Baseball Letters before attending Garret Community College in Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. Cat graduated from Alderson-Broaddus College in Philippi, West Virginia, with a BS in Health & Physical Education. Cat would be chosen to the West Virginian Collegiate Athletic Conference All Star Team. In 2002, Cat became the first baseball player to be inducted in Alderson-Broaddus College Sports Hall of Fame. Cat also has the distinction of being a teammate to two different athletes in 2 professional sports Halls of Fame. In addition to playing baseball with Cal Ripken, Jr., Cat played American Legion baseball with Joe Montana.

RITM is pleased to announce that Cat Whitfield has agreed to a Question and Answer session. This session will take place in February/March 2009. The interview will be posted on www.ripkenintheminors.com once it has been completed. RITM thanks Cat for his willingness to share his recollections. A special thank you also goes out to Bill Haelig for his assistance in arranging this interview.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris....Looking forward to another great interview!!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Garret Community College in Deep Creek Lake, West Virginia. >>

Just a heads up Garret Community College in Deep Creek Lake is in Maryland.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! I'll be excited to read this. Great work.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I've probably said that of all of Cal's stops on the way to the majors I have been most interested in the stop at Charlotte. Maybe it's the connection with the Southern League or the fact that the WBTV and Police sets were produced in 1980. Either way I'm really looking forward to the discussion with Cat. From everything I've heard and read he was and is a fan favorite. Some interesting things happened in the summer of 1980. It will be great to be able to get his perspective on things.
  • Options
    After a ton of delay on my part I had the pleasure of chatting with Cat for over an hour this morning. The conversation and interview session was everything I thought it would be. Great memories and recollections from a solid college and pro career. One thing that would interest this forum is that Cat confirmed that there were a ton of WBTV sets left the night they were given away. You may recall that in another session I was told that a pair of brothers put the remaining sets in a shopping cart and they were trashed. Cat recalled the sets being in the clubhouse and the players being told to take what they wanted. He said he took at least 10 sets and could've got as many as he wanted.

Cat gives a very thorough and detailed answer so it will take some time to type it out. This session may very well be given in 2 parts. Certainly looking forward to passing it on.
  • Options
    Here's the link to the first part of the interview with Cat Whitfield. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts.

Whitfield interview
  • Options
    I have to admit Chris, I have found your interviews a lot more interesting then I thought I would have. Looking forward to the second part.

Clear Skies,
    Mark

(edit for grammar)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Wow. GREAT read. Seems like a really nice guy. Sad to read about his wife.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Cat is a great conversation and a better person. One of the things I like about the interview is that it's not just about Cal. I worked in minor league media for a few years as a hobby and learned that everyone in the pro game has a story to tell. After my session with Bobby Bonner I learned that there are a lot of great stories that are going to be lost if not chronicled. I certainly appreciated the opportunity with Cat and look forward to passing on the remainder of his interview. Here are some of the remaining questions to be posted:

Individuals that remember going to games at Crockett Park during your tenure regard you as a fan favorite. What was it about your relationship with the fans that endeared you to them?

It is my understanding that you remained in Charlotte after your playing days. How big of a loss was it to lose Crockett Park?

You are part of a very special set of trading cards with the 1980 set sponsored by WBTV. What can you remember about the production of the cards and the night they were given out?

Were you aware that there was an orange paralleled version of the same cards?

You hold a very special honor in that you were the first baseball player to be inducted in the Alderson-Broaddus College Sports Hall of Fame. How special is it to you to hold that honor?

Not many people can say that they were a teammate of two different Hall of Famers from two different sports. What is your connection with Joe Montana?
  • Options
    On another note please do not forget to register for the Ripken autograph I'm giving away through the site. You can find the entry form on the home page in the link in my sig.
  • Options
    Added the second part to the interview. Please LMK your thoughts!

Full Whitfield Interview