Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1968 Canada Dollar strips

I have two 1968 Canadian Dollar strips. Both strips contains 5 coins. Once strip is still fully intact with none of the seems coming open. The other strip has two seems that have come open that the previous owner taped shut. I know the coin came out of the packaging there because both coins with taped seems are turned opposite of the other 3. So I have several questions. (Bare with me on the pics, this one wasn't easy)
#1. Should I cut the two coins off of the strip with the busted seems and take them all the way out of the cellophane?
#2. How much do you think the intact strip would go for?
#3. Should I keep these or sell them?

Oh, I don't have another 1968 Dollar to compare them to but they look like the Small island variation. It will be regular or small, one or the other.

On this next picture you can see the two busted/taped seems on the right. (It appears they just came apart with time, they have not been torn or cut open.)

Comments

• Options
    Todd-I have both the 1968 and 1969 strips-5 dollars to a strip just like yours. Don't know anything about them, but hopefully someone on the forum can tell us something. Issue price-current value, etc.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Value on an MS63 1968 Dollar is listed at $20.00 .... I have no idea what each one would grade at. Seeing as how they are UNC I would say that anywhere from 7 to 10 dollars a piece would be an average price with the whole strip going for around 45 to 50 bucks... I could be wrong on this but this is what I was thinking.
  • Options
    I got my strips from someone off the lightside of these forums. Their father passed away and I ended up buying their whole Canadian Collection. I got a TON of commemorative dollars out of it, lots of 5 cent pieces (enough for almost two sets), a lot of dimes, and some other things... Walked away with a good deal... These were always the "odd" object in the lot. I have not been able to find out if the Mint sold these or where they came from or how much they cost. Like you, I'm hoping someone will know something about them!!
  • Options
    Dang! And I thought you meant stripTEASE... for a Dollar... image I like Canadians.
  • Options
    1968 nickel dollar was issue as proof like finish in this kind of package . Mintage 1,408,143, $1.25 at original price. Today's value about $2.50 each. However there are few varieties, the most valuable one is double water line in business strike (MS65) $150.
  • Options
    According to Charlton's 62 edition-"A cased 1968 and 1969 nickel dollar were available from the numismatic department of the Mind during 1968-69. The department did not aggressively market this product until 1970. Thus the years 1968 and 1969 saw the development of the 'cased dollar' line with the evolution of a 'clam' style case." This was done in the specimen finish and is listed at $25 for sp-66. No mintage given. I beleive that the coins that we have were for general circulation and could be purchased from the mint in multiples in plastic. These are listed as $125 for ms-65 circulating strikes and $10 for ms-65 non-circulating strikes. So--the only question remains are ours circulating or non-circulating strikes? Quite a bit of difference value wise.
    Olmanjon
    There are also no island varieties.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    In my Charlton is list three varieties for the 1968 Dollar... Small island, large island, and no island...
  • Options
    Here is another page listing the island varieties for the 1968..
    http://www.coinscan.com/err/rsd.html