Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help with GAI vs. PSA

Hi all you wise people out there. I wanted some help. My question is how much lower, if at all, would a GAI card be graded if it was sent in to PSA for a crossover? The card is a GAI 8.5 and really do not want to crack it out. Thanks in advance for the help.
PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    Once you crack it and send it in, the card grade is based on PSA standards....if there was no damage once removed and into the hands of the PSA grader, I'd estimate...PSA5 to PSA9....I know that's not what you are looking for...PSA standards are slightly better...
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    But what if I do not want to crack it out. I think I would rather have a GAI 8.5 over a PSA 5, no?
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Good question.....PSA still in business.....GAI fire sale coming soon......hmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    A GAI 8.5 will soon be worthless IMO and close to being on the same level as BCCG.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mex

There is no way to answer your question, cards are not stocks all are different.

Sorry but without seeing what specific card you are talking about how
    could anyone answer you?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve's right, what's the specific card.
  • Options
    If buying Gai cards stick with the 1st generation legacy flips those are the silver shiny metallic looking flips. As for Gai it is gone for a good reason! As for the New Global authentication it is considered lower in ranking than Bccg more to the same level as Pro or Gem . I sent two separate orders of 6 cards to be graded and slabbed to Global authentication back in late December, supposedly a free 6 cards grading..... for anyone who purchased the Garbage retail boxes at Wal-mart and entered the serial number on the back. It showed up as a free service at the 20 day service level to new premier members and as of today they want me to pay them $5 a card and $20 shipping plus $6 insurance image
    Totally false advertisement and Bullcrapola Imo. No response to e-mails at all.. Also the website has said the same thing for over 6 months but recently changed the offer special hmm......??? :0 F-
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options

I"d be more worried about the card being trimmed then whether it is a psa 5,6,7, or 8.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    My experience with GAI has been limited, but it's all been good. This is one of the better ones.

• Options
    Brian48 Was that a crack resub or straight cross? Did Psa give you the flip back?
    Great job image
    Ryan
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
  • Options
    B21, are these the same cards just in different slabs? I just see differences in the cards unless it's something on the scanner.
  • Options
    Cross grading in my experience has been tough to predict. Some collectors feel cracking and resubmitting yields the best results when compared to straight crossovers. I've dabbled in very "selective" crossgrading over ~ six years, trying to keep to high end examples. My results...

1960 SGC 96 Yaz rookie > Evidence recoloring PSA > BVG 7.5 (Atlantic City National- 2004, advent of PSA crossgrading), not cracked (What was I thinking??)
    1977 BVG 8.5 Carew > PSA 9, cracked
    1977 BVG 8.5 Seaver > PSA 9, cracked
    1970 BVG 8.5 Carew > PSA 8 > GAI 8.5, cracked
    1972 PSA 8 Munson > BVG 8.5 > GAI 8.5, cracked
    1974 PSA 8 Nolan Ryan > GAI 8.5 cracked
    1971 Munson PSA Altered > SGC 92

All the grading companies have slight differences in what they deem important when grading. I also believe they have probably all graded "altered" cards as well - so no one is immune to card doctors.
    My experience with GAI has been selective again, but I've not been burned. I have found them to be quite accurate & consistent. Can't comment on others experiences though. PSA can be frustrating at times(with qualifiers, diamond cuts, color, & sometimes corner wear) in there grading, as well as, quality variations between cards graded mint 9. But overall looking back over the hundreds of graded cards I have- PSA is really very consistent. BVG are tough graders but a 9 ALWAYS looks like high end PSA 9 although they grade sheet cut cards (but are very very tough on them)

So those are my experiences. Overall would probably crack before resubmitting. Pete
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It is such a crap shoot to try a crossover
  • Options
    As I like the concept of cracking and re-subbing for the best results. I also hate the ones that do and forget to send the flips back in to each grading company . 15+ flips can fit nicely in a little baggie for a cost of a postage stamp image Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings..

I think that you did well on your submissions and cross grades. I feel that you should check the Rizzuto to see if it has a surface wrinkle use a good 12x loupe, if it doesn't crack and re-sub for sure. The card is off top bottom but imo it should have at least been a Psa 6 or better. Left of Rizzuto's hat seems like a white snow dot and right seems like a small crinkle.... could be your scanner though.

Ryan
  • Options

<< <i>Cross grading in my experience has been tough to predict. Some collectors feel cracking and resubmitting yields the best results when compared to straight crossovers. I've dabbled in very "selective" crossgrading over ~ six years, trying to keep to high end examples. My results...

1960 SGC 96 Yaz rookie > Evidence recoloring PSA > BVG 7.5 (Atlantic City National- 2004, advent of PSA crossgrading), not cracked (What was I thinking??)
    1977 BVG 8.5 Carew > PSA 9, cracked
    1977 BVG 8.5 Seaver > PSA 9, cracked
    1970 BVG 8.5 Carew > PSA 8 > GAI 8.5, cracked
    1972 PSA 8 Munson > BVG 8.5 > GAI 8.5, cracked
    1974 PSA 8 Nolan Ryan > GAI 8.5 cracked
    1971 Munson PSA Altered > SGC 92

All the grading companies have slight differences in what they deem important when grading. I also believe they have probably all graded "altered" cards as well - so no one is immune to card doctors.
    My experience with GAI has been selective again, but I've not been burned. I have found them to be quite accurate & consistent. Can't comment on others experiences though. PSA can be frustrating at times(with qualifiers, diamond cuts, color, & sometimes corner wear) in there grading, as well as, quality variations between cards graded mint 9. But overall looking back over the hundreds of graded cards I have- PSA is really very consistent. BVG are tough graders but a 9 ALWAYS looks like high end PSA 9 although they
    grade sheet cut cards (but are very very tough on them)

So those are my experiences. Overall would probably crack before resubmitting. Pete >>

Hi, Pete. Bvg is very tough on pre 1980's cards for sure! As for the Yaz Rc Sgc 96 is the card still in a Bvg 7.5 slab? Any plans on getting it in a Psa slab?
  • Options
    Stallion, When that hole thing went down at the National I was pissed/confused at all the companies. I left the graded card market for about 3 years vowing not to come back. But I obviously did with the understanding that sometimes crossgrading is a game between companies. I think I was burned by the/at the onset of PSA crossgrading services. Maybe they were not as sure of themselves and wanted/needed to make a point. Not sure though. Sold the best BVG 7.5 Yaz rookie in existence back at around that time. Pete
  • Options
    Sad story my friend image Imo I would have kept the card the way it was in the holder.... Can't look back though . The card could still be a Bvg 7.5 still awaiting a Psa holder?

Ryan
  • Options

<< <i>As I like the concept of cracking and re-subbing for the best results. I also hate the ones that do and forget to send the flips back in to each grading company . 15+ flips can fit nicely in a little baggie for a cost of a postage stamp image Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings..

Ryan >>

Sure PAY ME or DISCOUNT a submission to accurately help the population report (as some companies used to) and I will be happy to! But when I need to pay shipping both ways for mechanical errors, and so forth...I think not. I'd rather cover my bed with them and sleep on them every night.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>B21, are these the same cards just in different slabs? I just see differences in the cards unless it's something on the scanner. >>

That WAS nice of PSA to touch up the color on those while they were at it. image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I once Cracked a GAI 7 Drysdale and recieved a PSA 8 when I submitted it.However that was back when GAI had a bit more integrity.As far as I am concerened they no longer exist.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>Hi all you wise people out there. I wanted some help. My question is how much lower, if at all, would a GAI card be graded if it was sent in to PSA for a crossover? The card is a GAI 8.5 and really do not want to crack it out. Thanks in advance for the help. >>

I wouldnt waste money on crossovers. You need to crack and sub but like before mention, its a crap shoot. This is no joke, i know someone who cracked a 1960 psa 9 mays to gai and came back EOT.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a general rule. For that matter, you can "cross" PSA to PSA, and might not even get within 1 grade either direction of what you had. All based on the interpretation of whatever grader you get on any given day. That subjectivity is one of the things that makes the graded card market so much fun to watch and play in.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    you've got to crack it, way too much prejudice.
    It will come back anywhere from 5 to a 9. And if it comes back a 5, crack it and it could come back anywhere from 5 to a 9 the next time.
    Roll the dice, never the same twice.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Same exact cards. Removed from GAI slabs and submitted to PSA as raw items. I did several SGC items the same way (SGC to PSA),with some surprising results. All items were '52 Bowman baseball.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Brian48 Was that a crack resub or straight cross? Did Psa give you the flip back?
    Great job image
    Ryan >>

That was a crack resub.