Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Would you or could I submit this Jersey 1/12th Shillng?

I love this coin for some reason. I realize that it is not so popular as for the series, but what do you think it would grade? I notice a little rub in the fields of the reverse, but it has nice toning and is really satiny. What do you think?

imageimage

Comments

• I think it is a great coin. I have never submitted a coin for grading so I can't offer anything towars your question..

But I like that coin a LOT
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • I also have never submitted a coin for grading, but from what I have seen graded I think yours would grade pretty high. I love this series. Yours also has a couple of nice die breaks on each side. 2007 Edition of Krause has it listed at $35 in Unc. so I don't know if it would be worthwhile submitting it. Maybe some of the experts out there could tell you its value in 64 and up. Good luck.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin... I don't know enough about the series to make a recommendation. If it were red, then I think it would be an easy decision

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I assume this is a small bronze coin, dime size or smaller?

If so, then MS64BN or MS65BN, depending upon what you mean by "rub in the fields" and how minor is the ding (lower left field next to the shield).

If you mean there is a slight break in the luster and the minor ding is very minor, then MS65BN.

If the ding is more significant and by rubbing you mean a significant break in luster, then MS64BN.

If by rubbing you mean wear, then sadly there is only one grade to assign, which is AU58, as there is no grade AU64BN or AU65BN, though I believe there should be.

Since I don't think you meant 'wear', then I would submit it and hope for an MS65BN, even if Krause list it at $35 in UNC, which I assume is MS60. An MS65 would easily be quadruple the value of an MS60, and it would likely be much more than that.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    This coin is the size of a British large penny. The dink on thereverse is actually not a dink, but a small speck of something.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Actaully there is no rub in the fields after inspecting it. The lighting was hitting it in an odd way to appear as rub in the firlds. -dan
  • JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin - half dollar or UK penny sized right?

I think it would grade no lower then AU53, best guess is AU58 though on a good day could see 63 hard to say. Photo seems to hint at field rub in spots but it could just be the lighting. Great detail and nice original looking color and surfaces.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Then according to PCGS's own grading standards, if I have understood them correctly, I believe MS65.
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    That's an awesome coin, really great eye appeal image

I wouldn't submit it unless you're fairly certain it could fetch 64. Based on the pics I'd say it might, maybe have a shot but, while that's an excellent pic, there are some things that I would need to see in hand to say for sure.

It's a great coin raw, and if it has that satiny luster that it seems to I wouldn't mind paying over Krause for it. Slabbed 64 it could probably easily double Krause.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS MS64BN by the image.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the grade, it is likely a 64 or 65 Brown. I just don't know if the value for this coin is in the 120-150 range. It very well could be... check Heritage and see if any were auctioned. Also, check the PCGS pop report and see how many were graded

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    nice coin! I would say easy MS65 brown based on your pictures.

Also, remember that even if it did have some rub on the high points, so too do a ton of PCGS/NGC world coins in higher MS holders. PCGS own grading guide allows for minor rub and/or cabinet friction up to the grade MS67.

• << <i>I love this coin for some reason. I realize that it is not so popular as for the series, but what do you think it would grade? I notice a little rub in the fields of the reverse, but it has nice toning and is really satiny. What do you think?

imageimage >>

Dan,
    That is one very amazing coin that you have got there.

Aidan.
    This is my Jersey. Not as nice as yours though. Nice coin.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py