Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

martin brodeur rookie

How much could his rookie card go up to if/when he breaks patrick roy's wins record?

Comments

• Hard to say. I at one point had (50) 1990 Score Brodeur PSA 10s which I sold between $150-$175.
    As the population grew more and more, it declined, and he's done for the season unless he makes
    a comeback after surgery to play in the playoffs. If and when he breaks Roy's all time winning record,
    and don't forget Terry Sawchuk's all time shutout record as well; I don't see the Score card surpassing
    more than $300 if that. It's supply and demand, and many cases are still available for that product.
    PSA 10 can be had for around $75-$90 right now cos he's out. Buy now and quick flip once the countdown
    begins next season.
  • do you think the raw value of his rc would reach $50?
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>do you think the raw value of his rc would reach $50? >>

No - never!
    That product is so over printed
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • do you think the raw value of his rc would reach $50?

That's a good question, and I'm going to say 'maybe'?
    Raw value now is $10 and can be had for $2.50 or less shipped
    on ebay. If he passes both records, I'm speculated there will be
    an increase demand for that card since it's his only RC (Score).
    It may jump to $20 - $30 due to the bagillion cases produced.
    Values may hit close to $50 on the week he's about to break it,
    but will plummet back down once the noise settles.

Im a huge Brodeur fan, and I hope he does it next season.
    He will be the greatest goalie EVER. I thought about picking up
    more cases, but I don't have the money even though they're cheap
    still. At one point, I had about 30 cases of this stuff (Canadian & American version)
    in my garage. This stuff to me was like 86 topps bb to a lot of board members on here.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i> he's done for the season unless he makes
    a comeback after surgery to play in the playoffs. If and when he breaks Roy's all time winning record,
    and don't forget Terry Sawchuk's all time shutout record as well; I don't see the Score card surpassing
    more than $300 if that. It's supply and demand, and many cases are still available for that product.
    PSA 10 can be had for around $75-$90 right now cos he's out. Buy now and quick flip once the countdown
    begins next season. >>

Marty has been participating in full team practices and there is anticipation that he will return this Thursday (their next game) or Satruday at the very latest.

Considering that the Devils still have 22 games to play, there is a likely chance that he will still surpass Roy's victory record this season and next season he whould eclipse Sawchuk's shutout record.

I can't see the raw Score RC surpassing the $10 mark anytime in the next 10 years. I do anticipate an increased demand for his PSA 10 Score, however, but do not expect to see it reach the realm that it used to be when it consistently sold for $200-300. PSA 10's are currently around $75-80 and I can see a jump to around $125 after he breaks the record and if the Devils progress deep into the playoffs.

If Brodeur can eventually win a 4th Stanley Cup, perhaps American hockey fans will finally give him some respect. It sucks being in NJ and still having to hear that Richter was a better goalie. Brodeur is quite simply one of the 5 best goaltenders of all time and he can't even get props in the NY area because it is dominated by Rangers fans.
  • so basically buy now and sell the week of him breaking the record?
    BUying now isn't a bad idea, but I don't think you're going to see the sort of upside you'd expect, especially when you account for shipping on winnings.

There are some small margins to be made, but there is so much material that if there is a jump in price, you will have a ton of competition.

I'm still buying PSA 10's when I can get them at the right price, but I don't expect to be looking at a quick flip when he passes Roy next month. Brodeur needs to pass Sawchuk (next season) and win another Stanley Cup.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bryan. Have fun on your trip!
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I have atleast 10 of those raw mint ungraded. I should send a few in for grading. I thought they were only worth a couple of bucks.

<< <i>Wow, I have atleast 10 of those raw mint ungraded. I should send a few in for grading. I thought they were only worth a couple of bucks. >>

They are only worth a couple of bucks. Even in PSA 9, by the time you get done with grading fees and shipping, you won't be making anything more than you would've selling them raw. And that's if they end up in a PSA 9. PSA 10's will earn some return, but anything less is basically a losing proposition.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Any luck with the Pro Set Rc's John?
    Three weeks ago, I wrote:

<< <i>PSA 10's are currently around $75-80 and I can see a jump to around $125 after he breaks the record >>

Did anyone jump onboard? Just pushed out 10 American and 9 Canadian (kept 1 of each) at an average of almost $137 ($2600 for the 19 pcs) and didn't have to worry about eBay fees. They'll dip back under $100 within 2 weeks and won't peak again unless the Devils reach the Stanley Cup finals. Otherwise it will be next season when he surpasses Sawchuk, then the card is done (sans another Cup).
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Brodeur has a pre-rookie card in the 1990-91 7th Inning Sketch QMJHL set. I just looked and it's been selling in the $15-$20 range raw. That set was pretty overprinted as well but probably not as much as the 1990 Score set.

If Brodeur's rookie had been in NEARLY any other set except 1990-91 Score it would be much more pricey than it is now. OPC Premiere or even 1992 Bowman would have been much better.

<< <i>Brodeur has a pre-rookie card in the 1990-91 7th Inning Sketch QMJHL set. I just looked and it's been selling in the $15-$20 range raw. That set was pretty overprinted as well but probably not as much as the 1990 Score set.

<< <i>

I've got a couple of the 7th Inning Sketch's in PSA 10 and doubt they'd go for much. Still have a few sealed QMJHL sets, too. Just wish Brodeur got more respect.

The interesting thing is that the Score Canadian is actually a relatively low pop in PSA 10, especially compared to the American version.
  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Three weeks ago, I wrote:

<< <i>PSA 10's are currently around $75-80 and I can see a jump to around $125 after he breaks the record >>

Did anyone jump onboard? Just pushed out 10 American and 9 Canadian (kept 1 of each) at an average of almost $137 ($2600 for the 19 pcs) and didn't have to worry about eBay fees. They'll dip back under $100 within 2 weeks and won't peak again unless the Devils reach the Stanley Cup finals. Otherwise it will be next season when he surpasses Sawchuk, then the card is done (sans another Cup). >>

Disagree. I feel over time they will get stronger as long as he keeps winning, even after he gets the shutout record. You are talking about the greatest goalie whoever lived. chaz