Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Long Beach..new friends made, a few nice coins,is there a Swan fan club?

It was sure nice to meet a few of the computer guys at LB..Jim Swan was just awesome he is a real nice guy with LOTS of knowlege, I really got a lot from my conversation with him at the Whitlow booth.. also had the oppty to meet "toningintheblood" nice guy with lots of expertise as well..and met and spoke a bit with Ira Goldberg.. It sure is nice to see a 1st caliber type guy like Ira not afraid to put his picture in his auction catalogs and hit the frt. lines to field questions or just talk coins a little different then my experiences with some of those super big "public company" types.. any way special kudos to you 3 mentioned above for making my experience worthwhile.. met Katy from pinnacle and spent some time with Laura from legends..both 1st rate companies and these gals (laura hates when i refer to her this way) really know their stuff.. and hey picked up a few nice proof 3 cents in my quest for improvement of those great sets and 1 nice ms 3 cent to boot a pop1 1871 in ms 67..what was your take on LB?

Comments

• Options
    Bruce--

Sounds like a good show. Too far for us east coast guys to drive. Jim Swan is a terrific guy and serious collector. He must have been filling for Larry who had a recent hip replacement. I'll never catch you if you keep adding those high grade 3CN MSs.

I continue to hear prices were really strong on both the floor and at the auction. Was that your impression?
    Bill

My Other Hobby
  • Options
    prices did seem strong..i paid 7k for the 17 3cent but had a computer bid in on a 10 indian 1915..nice example in pf64..in my opinion a great buy at 15k..20k probably about right for retail..i bid 16.5k..plus the 15%..it went for 30k!! couldnt believe it..
    bruce
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto. I met Swan too, had a good coin talk with him picking up some good knowledge, nice guy too. I thought the LB floor was a bit lacking with fresh coins, but personally I was blown away with the Benson auction. Best collection of coins I have ever seen.

Regards,
    Daryl
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.