Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Matte Proof Memorial??? BIG IMAGE

Recently acquired this from Duane, who obtained it from Angeldee's. It has a very interesting surface...

Comments

• I wonder what casues that pitting in the coins surface?
  • I dunno...but they NAILED that image. I've always been a huge fan of TrueView.
  • That is a beautiful coin given to me as a gift by Andy Skrabalak when I bought my first 1909VDB MPL from him (1961 is my birth year). I made a mistake putting in that lot of 5 1961s, Matt!!

Can I get it back???? Willing to trade or buy, as required.....

Regards,
    Duane
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I know the original submitter, and after he got them slabbed, they went for about $25 on eBay. There was a batch of 5-10 that he sold. It was over the past summer. I personally don't care for the toning.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Paul-

It's all just matter of one's taste. The coolest part of the coin from my perspective is the colorful 'demarcation' line where the cyan cresent meets the copper colored rest of the obverse .. it's almost like a rainbow when Tru-Viewed. Andy was telling me that the seller had a bunch of these coins tucked away, and they all toned in the most unusual and colorful ways as they were stacked on top of one-another. The neat thing about this coin for me was that Andy gifted it to me as a part of a deal when I bought a MPL 1909VDB for the William Blake Memorial Collection. Very classy thing to do, from my perspective. The price or original cost is really irrelevant in my mind. I think Matt understands and appreciates that thinking, as well. So that is the meaning of wanting it back for me.

BTW - I see you purchased and are using my old brown 1909 MPL as your avatar. Great looking coin as well. While it cannot be seen from the avatar, the reverse magenta rim toning is my favorate part of the coin. The BN MPLs are differant style coins, of course, from the brilliant Memorials, but beautiful in their own way. Hope that you are enjoying it.

Can you run the Tru-View of the 1909?

Regards,
    Duane
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    since they are pits into the coin it may have been an oily die that had dust on it?

curious.
  • Yeah, and small the 'bumps' on the obverse field indicate just the opposite - that the die itself was pitted, as if the die was sandblasted. As chromium sandblasted dies were used from the 1950s onward, one can assume that the chromium die, which usually would just give a 'blasted' effect to the relief, was worn down, and started to degrade on the fields as well?

Besides that, what chemical reaction would cause the cyan color in the field, I wonder?
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curious.