Home Sports Talk
Options

Card Shows

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
Copied from Shysterball:

6. A friend of my father's used to help organize a big baseball card show in Detroit every year. Because we knew him, he'd get us in to meet whatever ballplayers were signing cards without having to pay or wait on line. This allowed my brother and I to talk to a lot of them at length. Dan Quisenberry was, by far, the nicest ballplayer I've ever met. Trammell was actually underwhelming, but at the time I chalked it up to his being preoccupied with saving Metro Detroit from threats from communists, Martians, and the Baltimore Orioles. Jack Morris was a total ass -- maybe the most prolific ass of the entire 1980s. Hank Aaron had about 20 handlers and employees with him, and I kind of felt sorry for him. Stan Musial appeared to have driven in himself, accepted no star treatment whatsoever, and seemed like he'd grab a broom and help clean up if you had asked him. He asked me if I played ball. When I said yes, he said "that's swell."

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Stan Musial appeared to have driven in himself, accepted no star treatment whatsoever, and seemed like he'd grab a broom and help clean up if you had asked him. He asked me if I played ball. When I said yes, he said "that's swell." >>

Pretty much sums up why I collect Stan Musial!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Gotta like guys like Stan the Man and Ripken. Reminds us why we all love baseball

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Stan Musial appeared to have driven in himself, accepted no star treatment whatsoever, and seemed like he'd grab a broom and help clean up if you had asked him. He asked me if I played ball. When I said yes, he said "that's swell." >>

Pretty much sums up why I collect Stan Musial! >>

you collect musial but are anti Pujols? weird
  • Options

<< <i>Copied from Shysterball:

6. A friend of my father's used to help organize a big baseball card show in Detroit every year. Because we knew him, he'd get us in to meet whatever ballplayers were signing cards without having to pay or wait on line. This allowed my brother and I to talk to a lot of them at length. Dan Quisenberry was, by far, the nicest ballplayer I've ever met. Trammell was actually underwhelming, but at the time I chalked it up to his being preoccupied with saving Metro Detroit from threats from communists, Martians, and the Baltimore Orioles. Jack Morris was a total ass -- maybe the most prolific ass of the entire 1980s. Hank Aaron had about 20 handlers and employees with him, and I kind of felt sorry for him. Stan Musial appeared to have driven in himself, accepted no star treatment whatsoever, and seemed like he'd grab a broom and help clean up if you had asked him. He asked me if I played ball. When I said yes, he said "that's swell." >>

Good topic.

I'll jump in with a few experiences:

1. Alex Rodriguez - Got his autograph at Wrigley when he was with the Texas Rangers. Was a nice guy.
    2. Rafael Palmeiro - Got his autograph at Wrigley when he was with the Texas Rangers. His first trip back to Wrigley since the Cubs kicked him to the curb and he homered in each game of the series. Very nice guy.
    3. Gabe Kapler - Class-A jerk. A prima donna of the top order. Folks want to investigate suspected steroid users? Start here.
    4. Stan Musial - Swell guy, but must have been ill the day I got his auto.
    5. Harmon Killebrew - Could not meet a nicer guy. Very friendly, considerate, and still has a firm handshake.
    6. Bob Feller - Another nice guy. Very friendly, talkative, and I feel bad when you look at his hands.
    7. Ernie Banks - Nice guy....even nicer if you are an attractive woman. I'll leave it at that.
    8. Frank Robinson - Yet another gracious old timer.
    9. Bob Gibson - Surprising. A very nice, educated, and smart guy. Filled with stories and very gracious.
    10. Andre Dawson - Nice guy. Very quiet. Still in great shape and looks like he can play....until you see him walk.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Alot of those good ol boys are great to meet.

I'll have to disagree with Frank Robinson though. When I met him last summer, i thought he was a pompus a$$. Didnt seem like it took much to pi$$ him off.

Who I didnt like meeting: Frank Robinson, Willie McCovey, Tom Seaver, Wade Boggs, Jim Rice, Graig Nettles

Who I did enjoy meeting: Feller, Mantle, Ford, Snider, Musial, Perry, Sutton, Palmer, Sutter, Weaver, Sparky Anderson, Bench, Berra, Fingers, Killebrew, Marichal, Gooden, Rose, Jenkins, Lee Smith, Kiner, Doerr, Shantz, Mickey Rivers, Brooks Robinson, Molitor

Indifferent when I met them: Aparicio, Yount

I know there are stories of bad experiences with Bench...but he was extremely gracious two times meeting him. Smiles, small talk, hand shakes...only good experiences
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < Stan Musial appeared to have driven in himself, accepted no star treatment whatsoever, and seemed like he'd grab a broom and help clean up if you had asked him. He asked me if I played ball. When I said yes, he said "that's swell." >>

Pretty much sums up why I collect Stan Musial! >>

you collect musial but are anti Pujols? weird

Musial never whined to the press...Puljos could learn a thing or two from Musial about class...let's see what excuses AP comes up with when we find out he's been juicing all these years, too...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.