Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OUCH! Took a beating from PCGS Now with images

4/10 were BBed. One AU58. The others were actually pretty good.

4 1 12959345 30075 1900 1C CANADA Genuine (92 - Cleaned) Do you think this is Unc?

5 1 12959346 30128 1902 1C CANADA Genuine (91 - Questionable Color) This one really hurts. I thought MS64 RED. ex. Civitas.

6 1 12959347 30199 1915 1C CANADA Genuine (92 - Cleaned)

7 1 12959348 30189 1912 1C CANADA MS65BN ex Civitas Unc. Red and Brown. Probably overgraded.

8 1 12959349 31064 1922 5C CANADA MS63 ex Civitas Unc. I always have difficulting in imaging these coins.

9 1 12959350 31061 1920 5C CANADA AU58 ex ICCS MS60 MS63 coin in AU58 holder.

10 1 12959351 205696 1878 Florin Gr.Britain Genuine (99 - PVC Residue) hmm . . . I'll have to learn what PVC looks like.

11 1 12959352 201908 1921 1/2D Gr.Britain MS65BN For my 1/2d date set collection

12 1 12959353 201935 1929 1/2D Gr.Britain MS64BN For my 1/2d date set collection

13 1 12959354 170452 1949 1D Gr.Britain MS65RD More red than imaged

I'm beginning to think PCGS will BB more coins now that they have the Genuine Holders. Anything close will still go into the tomb.

No images until coins get back to me in about 12 days.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Some TPG's are too harsh, others are too lenient... what to do...
  • 4 of 10? That's about par for the course for me. I haven't submitted in about a year, it cost too much and the rejection just plain hurt.image
  • I guess I should have been grateful to have only 1 of 8 BB'd last year!

What does "questionable color" mean? Either it is original or it is not, and if the grader doesn't have the necessary expertise to say one way or the other, then your money should be refunded, as they have provided no service whatsoever with regard to that particular coin. The only thing communicated with such a classification is, "Duh, I dunno. What do you think Vern?" Aren't they supposed to know? If not, then for what service do they expect to be paid?
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best I can determine, 'Questionable Color' means: "who knows? we'll BB the coin in hopes it gets submitted again so we make more money"

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job with the GB Copper. What does the Florin look like?

I don't think I have ever submitted a Canadian Large Cent... I think I'll just live vicariously through the others here with respect to this series

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a perfect illustration of why collectors should not be allowed to collect raw coins.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

• << <i>The best I can determine, 'Questionable Color' means: "who knows? we'll BB the coin in hopes it gets submitted again so we make more money" >>

After hearing the stories of resubmitting many times until it gets upgraded or slabbed, I have become discouraged. They all know if it's slabbable (cleaned, altered, etc.) or not, so are some graders within the same company more or less conservative than others, and do standards change from one time period to another? Just asking, no harmful intent at all toward the hosts, but these are questions raised by my experiences and from reading about others.

Edited for punctuation
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what their problem was with the 1902. That is a nice coin.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • On the upside: you can at least fix the Florin if you really really like it.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Some nice grades with the 1/2 and 1d. As mentioned the PVC might be able to be removed.
    Questionable Color? In other words, we're not sure? we'll sit on the fence on this one??

<< <i>This is a perfect illustration of why collectors should not be allowed to collect raw coins. >>

Yes, I guess some of us have no idea what we are doing.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Images added.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Pics of the bb'ed coins? I am curious. -dan
    From the images, terrific coins- an above average strike on the 1921 1d

<< <i>Pics of the bb'ed coins? I am curious >>

ooh, I was hoping someone wouldn't ask for those. OK, I'll take them.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    BBed coins added.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    I will take the second chair and let the copper experts argue about these...

But before I do, some thoughts will be shared. I don't understand the cleaned position on the 1900. Is the 1900 Unc.? It could be... it is very difficult to tell from the image and it is a good image, it is just that some coins can not be definitively graded from an image.

I understand the position on the 1902- I just would rather see that one in hand before commenting further.

As for the 1915- that is why I am taking the second chair.

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I disagree with the 1902 1Cent. I will also say that that the 1900 does have a questionable reverse, but I am wondering if that is not normal?
    The reverse of the 1900 seems to have enough original junk in the letters to support that it likely was not cleaned otherwise it likely would not be there

Here's a new image of the 1902. I must admit, this is one of the better images I've taken. The coin really looks like this.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • How would/is questionable color added to a bronze? And would the method applied still allow the coin to evidence a cartwheel effect, as the image provided suggests?

I still believe that if PCGS cannot state one or the other with certainty, then they have failed to provide (for that coin) the service implied, and therefore should not charge a fee (for that coin).

PCGS Expert #1: Hey Vern! Got a minute?
    PCGS Expert #2: Okay Billy Bob, what's up?
    PCGS Expert #1: Take a look at dis bronze thingy here, and tell me whacha think.
    PCGS Expert #2: Well... er... um... what exactly is I looking for?
    PCGS Expert #1: Does dat coin look right to you?
    PCGS Expert #2: Um... well... you mean like... is it fakey?
    PCGS Expert #1: Naw, I mean da color!
    PCGS Expert #2: Uh... um... ain't dey 'posed to be dat color? Or izzit some kinda alloweed whatsit?
    PCGS Expert #1: Well yes. I mean no! I mean, yes, it's 'posed to be dat color, but no, it ain't alloweed. I mean it is alloweed, but it be bronze.
    PCGS Expert #2: Okay... So...
    PCGS Expert #1: Don't you think it should be a mo antiquey looking? I mean... it's really really old.
    PCGS Expert #2: Um... well... er... Hey! Me and Joe Bob is going to Mickey D's! Want us to get you somethin'?
    PCGS Expert #1: Oooooh, yeah! Get me a quarter pounder wid cheese and dem frenchy sticks.
    PCGS Expert #2: You mean french fries?
    PCGS Expert #1: Yeah. And get me a Mountain Dew too.
    PCGS Expert #2: Two Mountain Dews?
    PCGS Expert #1: No. Jes one. Two makes me wanna piss.
    PCGS Expert #2: Okay, be back in a flash.
    PCGS Expert #1: Now, what was I doing?
    PCGS Expert #3: Hey Billy Bob. Ain't you goin' to lunch.
    PCGS Expert #1: Naw Jim Bob. Joe Bob and Vern is bringing me back a hamburger.
    PCGS Expert #3: So what's dat round thingy you holding?
    PCGS Expert #1: Oh yeah! I almost forgot! Do you think da color is right?
    PCGS Expert #3: I dunno. What do you think?
    PCGS Expert #1: I think I'll cover my arse and tag it questionable. I mean... I did ask you a question, didn't I? And I'm gonna get paid anyway. Right?
    PCGS Expert #3: Works for me.
    The second image is compelling for a grade in terms of color being the sole issue as to why it was not graded

edited to ADD: I was referencing the 1902 Cent

I may have to find someone to submit the coin to ICCS for me.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

• << <i>This is a perfect illustration of why collectors should not be allowed to collect raw coins.

image >>

Sorry to disagree, but this is a perfect illustration of what's wrong with collecting slabbed coins. If I want someone's opinion of a coin I own, I'm not about to pay what I think is WAY TOO MUCH for them to tell me they don't like the one's I like, or for that matter, that they aren't even sure if they like it or not!

I gotta tell ya, it's quite a racket, but I'm not buying into it.

However, as I've said before, it IS entertaining to watch! image
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

As much as I can see on the photos. the Green spots on the reverse and the light green film all over the obverse is PVC slime.

If it was my coin I would use MS70 and roll it on with a clean real cotton Q-Tip and another clean one to roll off the green slime .You will see the green on the Q-tip. Rinse coin in running water , then distilled water . Lightly tap dry with a clean towl. Some use canned air to blow dry ( can spit out chemicals though if not careful) or I have heard of people drying with a hairdryer on low.

Krueger