Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Resubmitting for better grade - stories?

Hi Members,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced "cracking out" a PSA graded card and resubmitting to PSA and been successful in getting a better grade.

Or has anyone simply kept "cracking out and submitting" until the desired grade was achieved?

It seems to me there are a lot of "8's that could be 9's" and "9's that could be 10's" as these are the most subjective grades in the scale, particularly on the modern stuff.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Successful results depend upon two factors.

1. Having a good enough eye to accurately judge cards that are likely for bumps.
    2. Getting a grader that sees the card the same as you.

If you crack borderline cards and cross your fingers, success will most likely be minimal.

Currently, I'm running around 70% on bumps on crackout resubs (only about 20% on reviews). It's about 50/50 on the succesful ones between 1/2 and full grade bumps.
  • otwcards,

Thanks for the response and information.

Looking through past threads it seems many have indeed resubmitted (sometimes several times) and received the desired bump in grade.

Of course, it depends on the value of the card as to whether the cost of resubmitting makes it all worth it, but the concept intrigues me.
    Value with regard to bump/submission fee is important. There's no sense going for a 1/2 grade bump that will only return $5-10 dollars when the grading fee will cost nearly the same.

I know some dealers that have developed detailed formulas for what they crack and what they sell off and how much they'll "reinvest" to get the potential bump.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    All one has to do now is resubmit the card in the slab for review.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>All one has to do now is resubmit the card in the slab for review. >>

Steve:

Yes, that's the easiest way and would be ideal if it proved as successful as crack and resub. But it hasn't, it isn't and I doubt it will ever be. It's too easy for a grader to find a reasonable reason to put the sticky on to reject the review. But if the grader had the same card in hand without a grade already on it, that same "reason" may not exist.

Considering the disparity in my success rates between crack outs and reviews, I'll stick with cracking out almost everything that I think can bump.
  • cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    2 for 2, and will probably mix in a couple every time I submit. 1st was a PSA 7 that I picked up on ebay for less than $3 delivered, it was a red certified Gretzky with the coating. I pulled off the coating as it was scratched up, and the card pulled a 10. Later sold it for a very nice profit, was hoping the same guy who sold it to me bought it back, but was not to be. Second was a 80 o-pee-chee Gretzky that I originally submitted and thought had a chance at a 10, came back an 8, and recently sent it in and it got a 9. Most likely the graders who grade rough cuts have different opinions when it comes to grading them.
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Just in the last week I've had the following: A '64 card come back an 8, was a 5. A '58 card come back a 7, was a 5. A '62 N8 miscut come back the same(3rd time on this one, 2nd straight miscut, 1st time came back as a 5. Two '64 cards come back as N6 Doesn't meet minimum size, both were evid of trimming the first time. Also, had a PSA 7 ST come back as a straight 6 a couple of months ago. All were crack outs. Not sure about the N6s, I'm almost positive they're not trimmed. I had this with a '67 Topps card once. Sent it to SGC and it came back a 84. I'll try BVG with the two '64s next.
  • I've also had the following in the last year. '68 BVG 7 to PSA 6, '66 Clemente PSA 5 to PSA 6, '63 Pride of NL BVG 5 to PSA 6, '75-76 Bsk. SGC 92 to PSA 8. I wish I'd started the resubmitting game about 10 years ago as I know I've had many cards that would've/should've graded higher.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    This Montana, which I got in one of our rips, originally graded as a 7. I couldn't believe it, it looks like a 10.

Cracked it and resubmitted and it came back a 9.

"Molon Labe"

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Bought a 1956 Topps Smokey Burgess as a SGC 86--cracked it out--came back 8.5 from PSA and sold it for a heck of alot more than i paid for itimage
  • Montana still looks like a 10. Probably has littl wear now from being subbed, cracked and resubbed.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    That Montana is a nice card. It is centered really well, kinda tough for that issue.

Like Bill said, most likely from being handled, the right bottom corner looks a little funny.

Unless it's just the scan playing tricks which is a high possibility

edit to add: Mark, was the scan you posted before or after you sent it to PSA the first time?
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    It's hit or miss, I've done it many times (I've probably thrown away $$ trying). I used to do it more before the 1/2 grading, many times it was worth it to at least try for the higher grade, mostly with vintage though. Two of my best were modern cards: I cracked a PSA 7 1978 OPC Eddie Murray that was definately undergraded, I hoped for an 8, got a 9. My other memorable crackout was a 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly, BGS 8.5 (don't remember the subgrades) - got it for a good price and thought it was definately a 9, to my suprise I received a 10!! I still do it today, usually only for low pop stuff or for when I feel like playing the lottery. If you happen to crack and resubmit and get a good bump, beware that "crack" can be addictive.

Matt
    Matt

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Matt, that was before I submitted it. I kept looking at it as close as I could for a fault and could not find one. You know how that goes, you keep thinking there's got to be a fault somewhere?

There are times I'm tempted to resub and shoot for the 10 - but Bill's right even in jest, sooner or later a little bump is going to happen!

"Molon Labe"

• I am getting ready to submit 100 PSA 5 & 6's for review with a Min grade of 9 or better, I LUV gambling of course all of them are 1988 donruss Greg Jefferies anybody want to buy some at 20.00 a piece before they come back 10's. just PM me , free shipping PS: u get the highest graded ones whether they are 5's or 11's . image
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I had a 1961 Fleer Bob Cousy originally graded a 5 come back an 8. That was my personal best.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    I roughly have 1,300 graded cards, 70 are SGC and the rest are PSA.

I've cracked and resubmited 50 cards, mostly 7's/84's that I thought s/b 8's and a few SGC cards that I needed for my 1970 - 1972 registry sets. Here's the count so far:

28 cards moved up one grade
    16 cards stayed the same grade
    6 cards got bumped down

IMO near mint SGC cards, if centered, will always graded higher with PSA. Over and out, John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

John:

You're on the mark with regard to SGC. I have had great success with half grades that are very well centered getting the full grade from PSA (I only do this with vintage). Considering you can usually get a well centered SGC 86 (7.5) for about a PSA 7 price (or less) and get it into a PSA 8, the move can be quite rewarding. Hopefully, I won't end up with any new bidding opponents by mentioning this...
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are 2 cards I have at PSA in their current holder for crossover with 9 as the minimum grade.

• jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John:

You're on the mark with regard to SGC. I have had great success with half grades that are very well centered getting the full grade from PSA (I only do this with vintage). Considering you can usually get a well centered SGC 86 (7.5) for about a PSA 7 price (or less) and get it into a PSA 8, the move can be quite rewarding. Hopefully, I won't end up with any new bidding opponents by mentioning this... >>

I thought the same thing as I was typing, crap I just created more competion for myself.. image

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    I agree, well-centered SGC 7.5's and 8.5's are good candidates for cracking - although I recently had a tough time with exactly that. I bought three '62 Topps commons SGC 8.5's, probably overpaid because they were decently centered, but cracked them and sent them to PSA hoping for at least one 9 - all came back trimmed (my whole order didn't do well). Anyway, BVG ran a $5 special not long ago, so I tried them, got an 8, 8.5, 8.5. Doesn't always work, but with good centering, it's sometimes worth a try.
    Matt

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    rube dont play tha silly game
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    SGC cards are gaining in popularity.......so the prices would be higher anyway....
  • In my 2 experiences with SGC both have dropped when sent to SGC. One, which I already stated, went from SGC 92(8.5) to PSA 8 which isn't too bad but also had a '63 Topps football drop from SGC 86(7.5) to PSA 6.5image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I give grading companies one chance at grading my cards.

Whatever it comes back as, it is. It is what it is.

If the card is high end for the grade it will sell higher generally anyway.

Like Rube I don't play the game.

I'll crack out SGC or GAI and submit to PSA and have done that a few times.

Each time the card wound up at the same grade or higher.

With the advent of the .5 and review system IMO it is better to use that service
    first before cracking. When cracking, the card could go down in grade, when submitting
    under the review system cards can either stay the same or get bumped.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Was a PSA 9. Pulled from a rack I bought off ebay. Knew it was a 10 immediately. Never should have sold it.

There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.