Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for Bust Dime Collectors....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
How many of you collect by JR number?

How many would be interested in collecting by JR number?

How many would like to see a Registry set for this like they have for Bust Halves by overton number?

If they made this set how many would start this set?

Just curious.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Jon,

I'm not a serious collector of JR Bust Dimes, rather just a date and major variety collector.
    Whenever I do buy a bust dime I like to look up the variety and rarity, just like every over Bust type coin.

I would like to see each of the Silver Bust denominations to have their own section based on their given variety.
    I know that Bust Dollars and Halves already have this, as well as large cents, so why not Bust Half-Dimes, Dimes and Quarters?

The idea works for me image
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Jon, I'm all for it. Fred
  • Options
    Anybody else interested?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $24 x 122 = $2928 for attribution fees alone

As enticing as such a set is (for half dimes anyway), the attribution cost alone is prohibitive (and there are only 92 half dime die marriages, excluding die remarriages) for me to consider doing something like this...especially when I consider that I am better at attribution than the graders at PCGS
  • Options
    Barndog,

I don't think that you have to have the coins attributed by PCGS. You just enter the JR number when you add the coin to the set. I read this in the bust halve for overton numbers set. Read and see what you think they mean.
  • Options
    I just went to the half dollar sets. Found a registry set with a slab pic. Entered that cert # into the cert verification area on the pcgs.com site. The cert number included Overton variety in the data set. So it does look to me like coins must be attributed on the label...which is unfortunately expensive en masse
  • Options
    If you found a slab pic did it have the jr# on the label. I find it hard to believe that they would have a PCGS # for each jr#. I think they take what you enter and place it in the correct slot. I could be wrong and probably am. I guess an email to BJ is the only way to find out for sure.
  • Options
    check out this set's 1795 O-112.
  • Options
    I think your right. While I was waiting for your reply I went out and looked at the one you saw. I does look like each coin has it's own PCGS number. I don't think I want to go to that expense. Maybe my second choice of the complete bust coins set with each denom. with major var. would be a better choice.
  • Options

<< <i>I think your right. While I was waiting for your reply I went out and looked at the one you saw. I does look like each coin has it's own PCGS number. I don't think I want to go to that expense. Maybe my second choice of the complete bust coins set with each denom. with major var. would be a better choice. >>

you're right there. Attribution at $24 a pop makes die marriage registry set completion an expensive and logistical nightmare. I have around 100 half dimes in PCGS holders and only one has the attribution on the label. No way I am going to package those up and ship them to PCGS and pay them $24 each to tell me something I already know. That'd earn me an expensive wooden plaque at the Registry Luncheon...not my preference!
  • Options
    While I was waiting this time I went out and looked at your set. WOW! And your in second place! Are all your other half dimes in grades like this? If it is like the dimes some only are know in VF or lower.

Beautiful set of capped bust half dimes!image
  • Options
    thanks. My complete die marriage set averages about 55. I have all but 6-8 die marriages in PCGS holders
  • Options
    Wow, 55 is a GREAT avg. on that set of coins. I used to have all but a couple of the dimes by JR number, but my grades were lower.

Again, great set.

If they created a complete bust coin set would you participate?
  • Options
    used to collect them all, but it got too expensive and became too difficult to remember all the pickup points for the rare ones in all series, so I just focus on the half dimes now almost exclusively...so I'm not into a complete bust set
  • Options
    I understand. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because I would have to sell off my other dimes to support it and I'm not ready to do that yet. I have been looking at the quarters, halves and half dimes though. I especially like the halves because they are big and pretty and lower in price than the others except for a few tuff ones like the 1815. Quarters look really tuff!
  • Options
    low grade 1824 quarters are thousands of dollars. Glad I got out of the other bust series, couldn't afford it now. Half dimes are still relatively affordable in XF-AU grades especially.
  • Options
    Looks like we both like what we are doing now. Sometimes I just get bored or I see some really nice coins out there that are not dimes.