Home Sports Talk
Options

Roger Goodell takes pay cut to hold down costs

Will Bud Selig and that NBA guy do the same?

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will take a pay freeze in 2009 and cut his total compensation for 2008 by 20%-25%, USA TODAY has learned.
As part of a league-wide salary freeze for all NFL employees, Goodell is freezing his current annual compensation of $11 million for upcoming fiscal 2009 even though his contract entitles him to an automatic pay raise, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed Thursday.

The commissioner, 49, will also take a 20%-25% cut in his salary and bonuses for fiscal 2008, which ends March 31. Goodell is freezing his salary for 2009 and taking the pay cut for 2008 as part of a league drive to cut costs in the current economic recession.

"The commissioner believes it will take a collective sacrifice of everyone to get through this difficult economic environment," McCarthy says.

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Guess Roger is contempt sking behind only a few yachts..
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

"The commissioner believes it will take a collective sacrifice . >>

• Options
    It's symbolic of course, you wouldn't really expect him to take such a drastic cut that he would be living in poverty. image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was making 11 million? For that job? Just unbelievable.
  • Options

<< <i>He was making 11 million? For that job? Just unbelievable. >>

Bud Selig is at $18 million a year, these guys all seem overpaid.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He was making 11 million? For that job? Just unbelievable. >>

Bud Selig is at $18 million a year, these guys all seem overpaid. >>

That is even worse.

I see now i shoulda studied in college to be a sports commissioner.