Home› World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My 1666 World Date Set (Part 1)

Current purchases for my 1666 World Date Set.
These examples represent some of the unusual shaped coins from this date.
I will add several other NewP's in the following days.

Enjoy!!! image



1666 Austria - Salzburg, 1/9 Thaler (Klippe); 1 of 2 Klippes (that I know of) with the date 1666
image
image

1656-1672 India - Independent Kingdoms - Bijapur (Hammered Coinage), Larin; also known as Fish-hook money.
image
image
image

1658-1666 Iran - Yeravan Mint (present day Safavid, Armenia), 5 Shahi
image
image

Comments

  • Options
    Nice coins. How many coins are in a 1666 World Date set? Sounds like a massive (# and $$$) project.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭


    << <i>Nice coins. How many coins are in a 1666 World Date set? Sounds like a massive (# and $$$) project. >>


    TOO many, as I keep finding more and more.
    Therefore, I may just limit my collection to one Type Piece from each country, and slowly expand from there if I feel like it.

    The gold pieces, when/if you can locate them, go for high 4-figure/low 5-figure price tags, and frankly I don't have that kind of dough.
  • Options
    Cool fishhook money, I've never seen that before.


    I have to ask - why the 1666 theme? (Sorry if you've explained it elsewhere, I must have missed it.)
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭


    << <i>Cool fishhook money, I've never seen that before.


    I have to ask - why the 1666 theme? (Sorry if you've explained it elsewhere, I must have missed it.) >>


    Essentially just a random date. I didn't know much/anything from the mid 17th century, and therefore thought it would be a cool numismatic theme for researching.
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>Cool fishhook money, I've never seen that before.


    I have to ask - why the 1666 theme? (Sorry if you've explained it elsewhere, I must have missed it.) >>



    Essentially just a random date. I didn't know much/anything from the mid 17th century, and therefore thought it would be a cool numismatic theme for researching. >>







    Thanks, I was curious if the date had significance that I was missing. (other than the obvious, which had me a bit worried)

  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Is the klippe silver? I have always wanted to own one. image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭


    << <i>Is the klippe silver? I have always wanted to own one. image >>


    Yeh, it's silver. It's fairly thin, and it's toned a golden-silver color over the last 350 years!
    My images aren't that good, but the photos look pretty much like what is there.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great pieces!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a 1666 Salzburg Thaler from my World Crown collection. image

    1666 PCGS AU-55 Salzburg Thaler (D-3505) - GuidoBald
    imageimage

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Here is one of the 2 coins I have with that date

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.