Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bird/Magic autographed Topps 1980 rookie

Wow this is a nice card

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGIC-JOHNSON-LARRY-BIRD-80-81-TOPPS-ROOKIE-AUTO-BGS-10_W0QQitemZ200308286446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200308286446&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

It seems like this is numbered out of 10. Do you guys know which company and what series were these coming from?

And how much do you think the fair is for one?

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• Options
    It is from a Topps product.I don't know which one though.He says the card is a replica but it looks like an original.
    Mike
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    The slab says its an original. Looks like a buyback auto to me.
  • Options
    Then he is leaving money on the table saying it is a replica.
    Mike
  • Options
    They are buy backs not sure from which product though..

I seen a few sales from 1,200 to 1,500
  • Options

<< <i>They are buy backs not sure from which product though..

I seen a few sales from 1,200 to 1,500 >>

over $1000 seems to be high, don't you all think?
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
  • Options
    Any of you old guys pull that card from a pack and then, of course, separate them? LIKE I DID ALMOST 30 YRS AGO!!
  • Options
    Why did the Doctor not sign it?
  • Options

<< <i>Why did the Doctor not sign it? >>

Dr J is an unfriendly signer
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Just a quick FYI for anyone that wants a signed Bird/Magic rookie that is not a buyback, at all of Magic's booksignings, as long as you buy a book, he is happy to autograph another item as well. So for $35.00 or so, you could get your book and card signed. If you can't make it to a book signing or don't have anyone to go for you, Magic is doing an upcoming signing with Steiner I believe in the next 10 days or so for around $100.00 a signature.

Larry Bird can be gotten through occasional signings with Swartz Sports and I spoke with them on the phone last week and they said they will in all probability have a signing with him in the next two months. I believe the last time they had him was around $125.00 for a flat.

So in essence for the price of the raw card and about $160-$250.00 or so in signing fees, and if you are willing to wait a couple months, you can have your own that someone else hasn't written on (IE, 8 of 10).

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Just a quick FYI for anyone that wants a signed Bird/Magic rookie that is not a buyback, at all of Magic's booksignings, as long as you buy a book, he is happy to autograph another item as well. So for $35.00 or so, you could get your book and card signed. If you can't make it to a book signing or don't have anyone to go for you, Magic is doing an upcoming signing with Steiner I believe in the next 10 days or so for around $100.00 a signature.

Larry Bird can be gotten through occasional signings with Swartz Sports and I spoke with them on the phone last week and they said they will in all probability have a signing with him in the next two months. I believe the last time they had him was around $125.00 for a flat.

So in essence for the price of the raw card and about $160-$250.00 or so in signing fees, and if you are willing to wait a couple months, you can have your own that someone else hasn't written on (IE, 8 of 10).

Mike >>

Thanks for the info Mike... If you get more info on when the Bird session will be please post!

I also agree the 8/10 makes the card look like crap - they could have put it on the back if it had to be there!
  • Options

<< <i>Just a quick FYI for anyone that wants a signed Bird/Magic rookie that is not a buyback, at all of Magic's booksignings, as long as you buy a book, he is happy to autograph another item as well. So for $35.00 or so, you could get your book and card signed. If you can't make it to a book signing or don't have anyone to go for you, Magic is doing an upcoming signing with Steiner I believe in the next 10 days or so for around $100.00 a signature.

Mike >>

Nice, the blue ink on that looks pretty good actually. I really don't mind the numbered to 10. In fact I know the modern high-end basketball collectors love these numbered stuff.

I am really intrigued to find out what series were these buybuck rc auto came from? it seems like they just came out of nowhere ...
  • Options
    A raw bird/magic rc in decent condition goes for about $300 (auction not over yet)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-TOPPS-LARRY-BIRD-RC-MAGIC-JOHNSON-ROOKIE-CARD-300_W0QQitemZ320338921463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item320338921463&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

$300 (raw) + $250 (signing fee) + $50 (grading fee & shipping) = $600

So I guess $600 for it is much better than $1000+ that it is selling for online image
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    AUstin
    You can find a decent raw Bird Magic rookie a LOT cheaper then 300.00 I bought mine a couple months back for around 80.00 if memory serves me right.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Any of you old guys pull that card from a pack and then, of course, separate them? LIKE I DID ALMOST 30 YRS AGO!! >>

Sure did!(lol)
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    FYI, Julius Erving (aka Dr. J) will be signing at a Frank and Sons Warehouse show on August 10.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any of you old guys pull that card from a pack and then, of course, separate them? LIKE I DID ALMOST 30 YRS AGO!! >>

Yup, had them until a couple months ago and sold them here, $40 for the pair, with some other assorted singles.