Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    wow.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Gotta love national reporting. Article quickly mentions that he is infamous for spitting in the face of an umpire. No mention of the fact that he was a 15 time all star.
  • Options
    You know, I saw him in Toronto last summer at a game. He was in town with his new business and was trying to open a Toronto location. (Can't remember what that biz was). But Robby even spent a couple of innings reporting to the TV booth from his seats field-level. He looked healthy and happy (and humble). This article makes it look like he's been withering away since 2005.
    You'd think that if he was taking meds for HIV that it would have got out somewhere along the way.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If he doesn't, those headlines may open them up for a lawsuit.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    That stinks for Robby!

But of course, Magic has had it forever and you wouldn't even know it.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Wow. My prayers are with Robby.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>That stinks for Robby!

But of course, Magic has had it forever and you wouldn't even know it. >>

It's a little different situation. According to this report, Alomar has full blown AIDS-- Magic is only HIV+. With the drug coctails they have now it's my understanding that someone who's HIV+ can live quite a long time; but once it evolves into AIDS it's time to quit buying green bananas.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> but once it evolves into AIDS it's time to quit buying green bananas. >>

Is that recommendation exact medical terminology?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard this story this morning on the Howard Stern Show. I'm not buying his ex-girlfriend's story. I guess we'll find out soon enough!
  • Options

<< <i>Gotta love national reporting. Article quickly mentions that he is infamous for spitting in the face of an umpire. No mention of the fact that he was a 15 time all star. >>

Yeah... Go figure eh! A$$holes!

Or... the fact that he won 10 Gold Glove awards and 2 WS titles... the list goes on!

No matter what they say, or is true about Robbie, he will always be one of the best 2nd basemen to ever play the game!

John.
    GB
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this explains why he never got 3000 hits. I thought he had a shot at 3500 hits at one point. He has over 2000 hits by 31 and seemed to be in his prime. By 34 he was washed up.
    Mike
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gotta love national reporting. Article quickly mentions that he is infamous for spitting in the face of an umpire. No mention of the fact that he was a 15 time all star. >>

Yeah... Go figure eh! A$$holes!

Or... the fact that he won 10 Gold Glove awards and 2 WS titles... the list goes on!

No matter what they say, or is true about Robbie, he will always be one of the best 2nd basemen to ever play the game!

John. >>

I think when someone who has or may have AIDS has spit in the face of someone, it's newsworthy.
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Very sad...

Add the Strawberry tell-all book (Favre retiring again too) and A-Rod may be the only happy person to hear this sad news.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    they made mention of this story on the local news here in the Cleveland area...which of course is news here since he played for awhile....something about his girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend suing him for 50 million dollars.....WOW
  • Options
    I wonder if he got by re-using a steroid needle? 1996-2001 stats look a little out of whack to me. Not accusing the guy of either accusation. But in today's era who knows. He crossed paths with Raffy in Baltimore and Juando in Cleveland.....

Just saying....
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if he got by re-using a steroid needle? 1996-2001 stats look a little out of whack to me. Not accusing the guy of either accusation. But in today's era who knows. He crossed paths with Raffy in Baltimore and Juando in Cleveland.....

Just saying.... >>

Nothing would surprise me from that era. The only years that are suspect would be 1999-2001 when his power numbers went crazy. Something happened to him in 2002 because his numbers just crash. Not even a decline, more like a train wreck. Even his speed vanished.

Mike
  • Options
    Steroids have been to known to do that, players just fall apart....or maybe he got off them after a Gene Orza tip...
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Does he sign through the mail? I may want to get his auto now, just in case...
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Nothing would surprise me from that era. The only years that are suspect would be 1999-2001 when his power numbers went crazy. >>

Crazy? Career numbers in one's prime isn't unusual. The fact that he hit 3rd in Cleveland, right before Ramirez and Thome probably helped too. Oh, he also had Kenny Lofton and Omar Vizquel (both speedy contact hitters) hitting in front of him.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Does he sign through the mail? I may want to get his auto now, just in case... >>

That was a little cold.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

"I think when someone who has or may have AIDS has spit in the face of someone, it's newsworthy."

/////////////////////////

I agree, but it's mostly a psychological-terror thing.

Deep or open-mouthed kissing is a very low risk activity in terms of HIV transmission.

HIV is only present in saliva in very minute amounts, insufficient to cause infection with HIV.

There has been only one documented case of someone becoming infected with HIV through
    kissing; a result of exposure to infected blood during open-mouthed kissing. If you or your
    partner have blood in your mouth, you should avoid kissing until the bleeding stops.

Human saliva contains substances that prevent the AIDS virus from infecting white blood cells,
    a 1988 study found. The researchers said the finding might help explain why no cases have
    been documented in which the AIDS virus was transmitted from person to person through saliva.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    It sounds like the girlfriend doesn't have HIV, but is only sueing for stress, or being expossed.

But if he knew he had it, and was having unprotected sex... Huh, I better shut up now. I hope that's not the case.

I knew before I clicked the link that they would have video of the ref getting boogered on. image
  • Options
    Oh ya..

storm, thanks for all that great kissing/saliva info. image

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think when someone who has or may have AIDS has spit in the face of someone, it's newsworthy. >>

I think most people have known you can't get HIV this way since the Ryan White? fiasco in Indiana. It isn't newsworthy at all. She is looking for a payday due to mental anguish? Jeeze
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    does this automatically disqualify him from the HOF??? is AROD now disqualified from HOF consideration??? if things are consistant and it comes out that he was one of the others using roids, then he should be excluded from any future HOF consideration just like they are doing to McGuire and will be soon against Sosa, Palmero and the rest from that era who have had suspicions raised...even Canseco....
  • Options
    just a coincidence but someone mentioned an auto for Alomar and I just happen to have one PSA/DNA certified ending tomorrow......link here......I know its not the right thread but someone did ask.

alomar auction
  • Options
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    NY Daily News Story

Sorry for not linking it earlier..
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    That article has it in the headline. If what she says is true, Alomar is a piece of crap.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <does this automatically disqualify him from the HOF???>

nah magic johsons had it for years and still looks like a giant, youd never even know if he wouldnt have told
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Just because the girl tested negative does not mean that in 3 months she won't test positive.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I just saw Magic at an event. He must be using cheeseburgers to fight off the virus.
    Mike
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does he sign through the mail? I may want to get his auto now, just in case... >>

That was a little cold. >>

That's cold!

rd
  • Options
    Magic Johnson is the only human to get AIDS and gain weight.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Roberto!

Just another sad MLB "drag thru the mud" thingie for us fans to swallow!

A classless act of spitting at an umpire at the major league level, and now possible AIDS/HIV, followed by a $15 million dollar lawsuit by Roberto's hubby, for forced unsafe sex? My God! Who and what's next to "blacken the eyes"of MLB image
  • Options
    Sad to say, but this isn't is bad as the steroid deal. This could have happened in any sport, any profession for that matter.

He showed his true colors by spitting on Hirschbeck and apparently hasn't changed....

If its as bad as the article indicates he'll die before he's eligible for the hall.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Bottom line is no one forced her to have sex with the guy. If she knew all the symptoms, and he was breaking out with all of these maladies she needed to get a clue. Not sure why her children would be at risk either. Seems totally frivolous.

I wish Alomar well with his health. HIV/AIDS is not a disease I would wish on anybody, though it is not as bad as it used to be.....
  • Options

<< <i>Bottom line is no one forced her to have sex with the guy. If she knew all the symptoms, and he was breaking out with all of these maladies she needed to get a clue. >>

SO you figure that it's OK for people with AIDS to have unprotected sex with others and not tell. Because they should figure out on their own??? Sheeesh.

IMO, Alomar is a piece of crap if the allegations are true. A rotton piece of crap.
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, Alomar is a piece of crap if the allegations are true. A rotton piece of crap. >>

Silly Canadians.
  • Options

... image ...
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    If I were Alomar's attorney, the first thing I would do is obtain a sample of the woman's blood. And if she is unwilling to provide one, I don't think Alomar's attorney would have too many problems getting a Court Order requiring her to provide one. If the tests are negative, then her damages are minimal, e.g., limited to "stress." Of course, if the tests are positive, then that's a different story (and then you get into life expectancy stuff).

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

There were always rumors about him (although as Seinfeld says"not that there is anything wrong with it"). Allegedly, the hirshbeck dustup really escalated after he called alomar a slur related to his proclivities.

but who cares, supposedly a HOF catcher, one of the greatest pitchers, a former NL batting champion and a very popular Mets outfielder from the 70's are also, But who cares....
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options

<< <i>....HOF catcher, one of the greatest pitchers, a former NL batting champion and a very popular Mets outfielder from the 70's are also, But who cares.... >>

Catcher -- Piazza? (suposedly), but who are the others you refer to?

You know Hirschbeck said some things, Alomar spit some some things...Its all water near a bridge now.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    << ....HOF catcher, one of the greatest pitchers, a former NL batting champion and a very popular Mets outfielder from the 70's are also, But who cares.... >>

Johnny Bench, Sandy Koufax,????, Rusty Staub

Who is the third?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bottom line is no one forced her to have sex with the guy. If she knew all the symptoms, and he was breaking out with all of these maladies she needed to get a clue. >>

SO you figure that it's OK for people with AIDS to have unprotected sex with others and not tell. Because they should figure out on their own??? Sheeesh.

IMO, Alomar is a piece of crap if the allegations are true. A rotton piece of crap. >>

Did you not read the story? He found out he had AIDS in 2006 but she broke up with him in October 2008. If it was such an issue and weighing on her why stay around for close to 2 years. Furthermore Alomar never was tested prior to 06 according to the story, so though he may have been living in denial, he never technically knew he was positive. Bottom line is this woman needed to take personal responsibility and this appears like nothing more than a money grab. How the heck could her children be at risk unless they are swapping blood products with Alomar?

J
  • Options
    Either way, I still have the same opinion.

The girl is a mother of three, and she was 'his' lady. He's supposed to look out for her well being.

A decent thing for him to do would be to protect her from anything that could harm her.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    lying off the knob would be one good way, if you are stupid enuff to stay with him for 2 more years after supposedly being diagnosed with it, too bad i guess.i dunno, sports stars sure arent heros anymore,sadly, they are less than zerosimage
  • Options

<< <i>lying off the knob woud be one good way >>

Well, when you put it that way..

Maybe I should agree with you guys???

I think I have a hate on because of all the sickos that go around having sex with everything and everyone they can, knowing that they have it.

I actually know a guy that does this. He just keeps moving around, screwin around... spreading it around. The jerk moved away from my original home town as soon as folks found out about it.
  • Options
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    He'll probably be trying to find a way to buy her silence.