Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How many people does this happen to?

I just got my grades posted on a submission of SHQs that I sent in at the end of the year to get my registry set back up to date. I had not submitted any quarters for about 2 years, so I was falling pretty far behind.
Anyway, I spent the winter with many, many bank rolls on the kitchen table, until I finally was satisfied that I had a pretty decent submission. Imagine my surprise when 13 of the 25 coins submitted were labeled as SATIN-FINISH. image

Of the 11 MS67 grades that I got, 6 were desginated SF - quite a difference in registry points & pop values. Do the graders just assume that any high-grade SHQ from 2005 and later has to be satin finish? I can tell the difference in the surfaces pretty easily, so I would think a person getting paid to do it could, as well.

I just got off the phone with a representative, and was told to ship back the SF labeled coins (at my expense) and they would be 'reviewed' for possible mechanical error.....and that sometimes SF coins get into bank rolls!? Is it me?????, or has this happened to anybody else?
I haven't posted for awhile, so maybe this subject has come up before and I'm just rehashing old news, but it really twists my twizzle when I put in all the hours of searching thru the rolls (plus the expense of trading 'P' rolls for 'D' rolls with a fellow in MN), and have coins that would be top-pop (or have just a few higher graded examples) mis-graded by professionals. This is what I pay my membership and submission costs for?image

Hopefully all will turn out as it should, but I need to vent, and check with some other collectors about the prevalence of this since the SF coins came out in 2005.

Chuck
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Unfortunately it happens all too often. image

Like you said, they are supposed to be the experts, with the fees and high postage you think they would get it right the first time. image
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chuck - I NEVER looked thru coins for the SF and BS coins.....I just buy them as I find them for my dime set.

BUT......this whole SF thing the mint started in 05 IS THE BIGGEST FIASCO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure Dan will chime in here if he sees this thread. There was a thread about this a year or so ago that went on for ever. I wish the mint would STOP the SF thing NOW. I HATE having to buy BOTH coins for my dime set!!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image
  • So, do they usually 'get it right' the second time? Or am I in for a battle?
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they will get it right, but like you said "you can tell the difference WHY can't they"! And you have to pay them to get it right. THAT SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a beautiful high grade 1965 dime. I hesitate sending it in because of exactly what you are talking about. The coin came from an original roll, its high grade, so they are probably going to call it SMS. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    You guys know the drill...
    Questions answered $5.00
    Questions answered correctly $10.00
    mechanical error, mechanical error, mechanical error, mechanical error, mechanical error, mechanical error, mechanical error.
    Dan
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Probably the worst idea the mint ever had. Now, if they had minted a very limited mintage of let's say 50K or less of the sets along with the regular mint state coins in the mint sets... now that woulda been interesting.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, do they usually 'get it right' the second time? Or am I in for a battle? >>

You may be in for a surprising battle in that when the coins get regraded as BS from SF, they may in fact downgrade by a point.

Scan them or document them before you send them back.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LEE -
    You really know how to get somebody's goat! That thought crossed my mind, but I quickly dismissed it....I figured that if anything, they would deserve a possible upgrade, since they were mistaken for SF coins!image

Yes, the registry idea was fun when it started, but the spirit of friendly competition has turned into a game of "pay us more $$ for the proper grade", and they know they've got you by the short hairs if you have a fairly highly ranked set. It's very frustrating to go thru the time, trouble & expense of culling a few coins out of many rolls, packaging them for registered mail, and paying for a 'professional' opinion - when my grading skills are even better than the professionals! It may be time to give up on the registry game and put together my best set in a Dansco Supreme album - at least I'll know what I've got.

I agree, the US Mint has to share some of the blame for the entire fiasco - why in the world do we need SF coins in Unc sets - is HRH on the mint payroll? At least in the mid sixties there was a plausible reason for the SMS coins, with the clad change-over. But I see absolutely no reason for anything other than proof & BS coins, unless we all lived in Canada.

It smelled bad in 2005, and smells even worse now!image
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
    PM GRANDAM.

He'll relate his satin finish escapades for you.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>LEE -
    You really know how to get somebody's goat! That thought crossed my mind, but I quickly dismissed it....I figured that if anything, they would deserve a possible upgrade, since they were mistaken for SF coins!image

Yes, the registry idea was fun when it started, but the spirit of friendly competition has turned into a game of "pay us more $$ for the proper grade", and they know they've got you by the short hairs if you have a fairly highly ranked set. It's very frustrating to go thru the time, trouble & expense of culling a few coins out of many rolls, packaging them for registered mail, and paying for a 'professional' opinion - when my grading skills are even better than the professionals! It may be time to give up on the registry game and put together my best set in a Dansco Supreme album - at least I'll know what I've got.

I agree, the US Mint has to share some of the blame for the entire fiasco - why in the world do we need SF coins in Unc sets - is HRH on the mint payroll? At least in the mid sixties there was a plausible reason for the SMS coins, with the clad change-over. But I see absolutely no reason for anything other than proof & BS coins, unless we all lived in Canada.

It smelled bad in 2005, and smells even worse now!image >>

I don;t think that PCGS holds registry coins for "pay us more $$ for the proper grade" since they have no idea what will go into a registry at the time it is submitted. I do think that PCGS takes extra care in accurately grading high grade coins solely due to their grading guarantee though. I know that if I were backing my grades with cash, I'd want to be certain of the grade.

And yes, sometimes it is extrememly frustrating.

As for this satin finish business, I have to admit it does create problems, especially since 2006-2008 SF coins were total crap. Given the special processes these must go through I see absolutely no reason for all the hits and scratches and dings that have shown up on these in recent years. Every one of them should be an MS67!
    I wouldn;t have a problem if they eliminated the program along with some of the other useless offerings they have.

The name is LEE!
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So, do they usually 'get it right' the second time? Or am I in for a battle? >>

You may be in for a surprising battle in that when the coins get regraded as BS from SF, they may in fact downgrade by a point.

Scan them or document them before you send them back. >>

You are not getting these re-graded, you are getting them re-holdered. Send them back under "Mechanical error: and they will re-holder them. I've done it a few times.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Like little Roseanne Rosannadanna's daddy used to say - "It's ALWAYS something!"image
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!