Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pre Grading with a 30X Loupe

Just got a sweet new loupe, anyone use one for pre grading to send into PSA?

Curious to hear success stories
We are currently buying all vintage sets from 52-75 for baseball and football.

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I dont, But whats the loop look like, and where did you get it?
  • Got it at a jewlery supply store, it was 10 bucks, same kind the jewlers use. it works really well. Its amazing what you can see under it
  • I have the vision of an eagle. Don't need no stinking loupe.

• I would think the successes would be the cards you decide not to submit because of what you're able to see under the loupe, and saving yourself the dough.

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I think the majority of folks use a 10x loupe...but I want to upgrade to a desk mounted 30x loupe in the future.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • The 30X is pretty sweet

• << <i>but I want to upgrade to a desk mounted 30x loupe in the future >>

That would really make Frank look large. May even be able to see a needle in his hip with a 30x loupe.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always been under the impression that 10x is the way to go. At 30x you can see too much and you start second guessing yourself and noticing things that the graders won't ever notice.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone has ever used a loupe before to grade cards. This is a groundbreaking post.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I have a 15x Loupe that I got off eBay for a couple of bucks. It really is amazing what you can see. As far as wrinkles in a card, it's probably easier to pick them up without the Loupe ... just by looking at the card at different angles and in different light. BUT, as you said, the Loupe is Great to look at the corners and edges of the card, as well as any imperfections.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• << <i>I have the vision of an eagle. Don't need no stinking loupe. >>

Yeah, I would guess that explains those NM-MT 8 1984 Donruss and Fleer..................................................................................image

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

• << <i>Yeah, I would guess that explains those NM-MT 8 1984 Donruss and Fleer >>

For the record, I have never received a grade lower than a 9 on any of the above mentioned junk. The 86 Topps Vince Coleman that got a 7 was a mistake by the grader. image

<< <i>

<< <i>but I want to upgrade to a desk mounted 30x loupe in the future >>

That would really make Frank look large. May even be able to see a needle in his hip with a 30x loupe. >>

Or the lack thereof. If that's all it takes to clear Frank's name in 'roids talk, I'll go buy one right now.

• << <i>Or the lack thereof. If that's all it takes to clear Frank's name in 'roids talk, I'll go buy one right now. >>

Coffee induced joke Ross. I think Frank is just naturally a big boneded dude.
  • dont know frank but i am enjoying the conversation

<< <i>

<< <i>Or the lack thereof. If that's all it takes to clear Frank's name in 'roids talk, I'll go buy one right now. >>

Coffee induced joke Ross. I think Frank is just naturally a big boneded dude. >>

I didn't take it as anything more than a joke. I've read a lot of shiest about Frank in the last 4 days, but I'm not going to be sensitive about a joke.

• << <i>I've read a lot of shiest about Frank in the last 4 days, but I'm not going to be sensitive about a joke. >>

As an Arod fan, the last 4 or 5 days have been rough on me.

<< <i>

<< <i>I've read a lot of shiest about Frank in the last 4 days, but I'm not going to be sensitive about a joke. >>

As an Arod fan, the last 4 or 5 days have been rough on me. >>

Undoubtedly so. Just hope it blows over soon enough. He's done his part to put it to rest, now the media needs to do their's.

Though, I do think at this point all names need to be released...complete or not complete, the vendetta against ARod is BS, and the confirmed positive tests need to be released. IMO that is.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <but I want to upgrade to a desk mounted 30x loupe in the future.>

the desk lighted 30X loops are well worth it ,i got mine at office depot
    they make yer thumbs look like the jolly green giants too, that was a big plus for me, entertainment value, you can see everything on a card that you sure cant see with the naked eye of a 10x loop