Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Matte Surface Comparison

Three 1916s side by side. Look closely, and you'll se identical matting. Cool, huh?

The last coin is available from Brian Wagner Rare Coins, and probably the nicest, cleanest 1916 you'll ever get a clear shot at. Super clean coin with great detail, and a reverse that rivals finest of the type.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Me likey 16's
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also the ever so slight variation presumably caused by either the die wear or strike force.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...or planchet weight differences.
  • Options
    Matt-

Wow! The variations are VERY subtle, but not exact, from these photos. The coin on the far left has some 2-7 diagonal flow lines in the field below Lincoln's chin that differentiates from the other two. Good thing grades are given for the 'totality' of the coin, or based on these selective area photos, I honestly could not comfortably grade these 2 coins ... they would grade the same to me! But guess I'm cheating because I already know the coins and grades image

But truly I agree; Brian's coin is the cleanest 1916 in its entirety that I have ever personally seen for any 1916, regardless of grade and/or color. It is darn near spotless.

For the great coins out there I have not had the luck to yet see, I apoligize to the owners.

Duane