Home Sports Talk
Options

Inevitable strike in 2011 when CBA expires

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
If the other 103 names are released you can bank on a strike in 2011. That would be the ultimate slap in the face to the Player's Union, and would cause almost irreparable damage between players and owners.

Comments

• Options
    They better hope the econmy improves by then or else that will be a death blow for baseball.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Agreed, betweeen the fewer dollars that will come into baseball the next 3 years, you better believe the Owners will be crying poverty...and the players will continue to want things to stay status quo...throw in leakage of 103 names from an "anonymous" list, and it has LONG UGLY STRIKE written all over it.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Irreparable is way to strong, these guys aren't going to walk away forever with that kind of dough out there. What else could the majority of them do to make money? image
  • Options
    At one time I never wanted a strike to occur in MLB because I would miss my baseball.

In the next few years I am actually hoping for a prolonged work stoppage...I would love a dose of reality punching all of them in the nose.

Greed often leads to the downfall of powerful organizations and people...and this shall be no different.

I would still love the game...play it, coach it, and remember it, but I could live without MLB now. I have better uses for my money and time.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I agree with ya Hoopster, fortunately we have a Diamondback A team here and a good college team. I have just as much fun going to those games as driving to Chicago to see MLB.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    If there is another baseball strike in my lifetime I will never watch or go to another MLB game again. As a 10 year old I had tickets on the first day of the strike in 1981. I remember crying to my dad because the game was canceled (which would've been my first game to attend in 3-4 years). I then had tickets on the first day of the strike in 1994. No more.

I already can't stand what the sport has become and have severely cut back in my interest, another strike would seal it for me.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>If there is another baseball strike in my lifetime I will never watch or go to another MLB game again. As a 10 year old I had tickets on the first day of the strike in 1981. I remember crying to my dad because the game was canceled (which would've been my first game to attend in 3-4 years). I then had tickets on the first day of the strike in 1994. No more.

I already can't stand what the sport has become and have severely cut back in my interest, another strike would seal it for me.

Ron >>

That may be true, but if it is you're in the distinct minority. A lot of people say they're done with baseball after a labor dispute, but all the statistical evidence points to the fact that work stoppages in pro sports have neither a long OR short term impact on attendance.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I don't disagree with that. Most sheeple keep right on going.

I went to 2 games last year - one just to see the park in San Francisco and the other in Houston during a card show weekend. Had neither of those occurred I wouldn't have cared a bit about not seeing a game.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    <<<That may be true, but if it is you're in the distinct minority. A lot of people say they're done with baseball after a labor dispute, but all the statistical evidence points to the fact that work stoppages in pro sports have neither a long OR short term impact on attendance. >>>

I agree about the long-term impacts, but I think you may be incorrect about the short-term, as least for a handful of teams. I know Toronto took a LONG time to recover from the last strike, and I'm sure there are others.
  • Options
    Boo, I am not sure if that is correct completely.

I think baseball did lose a lot of fans.

The thing is, they gained a lot of new ones(and then some), to replace them. A double whammy of all this garbage AND people not having as much spending cash, could be bad news for a work stoppage.

So you are correct in that it didn't affect attendance, but there isn't a question that it cost fans too. If they can't make them up, they are in trouble. It is funny that the HR chase brought them all back, and then some....but it may be the demise of it. I don't see a HR chase or Cal Ripken to save it.
  • Options
    Baseball is America's whore. No matter how much it disgusts us, we always go running back to it.
  • Options
    Cincinnati has never really recovered from the '94 strike. The fan disgust there severed that city's love of baseball and love of the Reds.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    A strike in 2011 would not be well received and probably even less so than in the past due to the current recession, even if the recession
    is over by then people are still going to remember the tough times they went through and players looked upon as pampered millionaires
    crying about how unfair their contract situation is will not get much sympathy from the public.