Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Own 163 of the rarest coins in history..."

seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
ebay auction link

Someone here scored about a dozen of these (1960-D Small over Large Date cents) in a BU roll, I guess we know now who found the rest of them. Nothing like flooding the market to take the wind out of a price's sails.

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting description.
    Doug
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it the guy can't take a photo worth a darn of the certified coin, or make the date shots big enough to actually see something, yet the shots of the 2x2 pile are just fine?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    $70/coin, seems kinda high for that quantity doesn't it?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1965 I bought a *circulated* roll of 1960-D small over large date cents, mostly XF-AU, for $1.25 per coin. The fact that someone was able to find that many in change means that the number of existing specimens, while not large, is considerably more than 500. I believe a few hundred have been graded by the major TPGs, and most of them are uncirculated. My own guess is that the mintage is comparable to the 1955 doubled die obverse, somewhere in the low five figures.

This coin has only been in the Red Book for a few years, so I think it has a decent chance to appreciate over time as it becomes more well known. However, my guess is that the 1960 Philadelphia overdate proofs - small over large date, and large over small date - are scarcer and currently more reasonably priced in relation to their mintages.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file