Home Sports Talk
Options

just saw on espn that ARod said he used steroids

according to Peter Gammons - if this is true, I can at least applaud the guy for being honest
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I don't he was given hundreds of opportunities and one very public TV interview (in which he declared he never felt overmatched on the field so why use?) were he denied. Only when there was someone with unrefuttable evidence did he come clean.

Only thing he has done is stopped the speculation part of this thing and now we can move on to the fan and media scorn section of the "steroid" playbook. Be sure that in 5 years there will be sympathetic interviews and other players who will come around and say he deserves our praise because has been clean for 10 years yadda yadda.

I saw at least 3 HOF writers write sympathetic McGwire articles this year and I am assuming there were more. He will slowly pick up steam as the years go by just human nature to forgive and forget.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>according to Peter Gammons - if this is true, I can at least applaud the guy for being honest >>

Didn't he flat out deny it a couple of years ago?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>according to Peter Gammons - if this is true, I can at least applaud the guy for being honest >>

Didn't he flat out deny it a couple of years ago? >>

he did. Google Arod and 60 minutes and you can read the text and watch the video of Arod lying about his use of PED.

So first he lied, now he tells the truth.
  • Options

Anyone can be honest when the evidence is stacked against you. He had the chance to be honest on 60 minutes. He chose not to.
  • Options
    Really - did Palmero admit to even after he was busted?
  • Options
    well said baseball
  • Options
    Arod, Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, and Palmeiro and McGwire all were making millions of dollars playing a game they love. They
    were all super talented. But they all decided to cheat the game. They all decided to chase Nolan Ryan and Hank Aaron artificially.

They weren't contempt with just being great ballplayers. They weren't contempt with making 20 million. They wanted 100 million.
    So they all cheated to get it.

If you find some solace in Arod admitting it, then fine. But there are plenty of triple-A players who are honestly trying to make a living
    playing baseball who will find it very sad that millionaires have to cheat to make even more millions.

It's all disgusting to me. If anyone finds anything good out of all of this, then I just simply disagree.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's call him A-Roid from now on.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I'd like to give A-Roid credit for coming clean and manning-up, I can't do it. The only reason why he fessed up was because his jock got caught in the wringer and he was guilty as hell. So, for that reason, no empathy from me. He knowingly cheated and continued to profess that he didn't. Not only did he cheat, he lied and hoped his cheating would never come to light. Woe unto him when he visits Fenway!!

IMO, anyone, ANYONE on the list should be outed and their records for those seasons should be non-existent. Like on the back of baseball cards when it says "military service", the years for the cheaters should read "expunged do to drug usage". And, GL getting into Cooperstown!

And, like I said before, if the list contains every Red Sox player on the current or old rosters, they should receive NO mercy. How about a HUGE suspension and fine for all of them? Don't those that fail the druggie tests get an automatic 50 game suspension?

Far too many kids emulate professional athletes, A-Roid no exception, what kinda message does his cheating send? I wasn't good enough, I had to cheat to be good. BS, TOTAL BS

• Options
    Thanks for your opinion, Sister MCMLVTopps. Now go back to the convent!!
  • Options
    Look I agree with ARod is a cheater - but he came clean when he got caught, he didn't say:

It was just once
    I was rehabing an injury
    I appologize for something just not going to tell you what it is
    I smoked but didn't inhale
    Mission Accomplished
    I payed my taxes (ok lots of people there) oops
    selling the senate seat was ok, right
    I took steroids but still nade the pro-bowl
    etc....

My point is he stepped up, fessed up and said this is what I did, how long I did it for and why - that deserves some recognition in this world we live in when nothing is anyone's fault. Yes he cheated, yes he is a cheater, yes he will pay and no he wont go to the HOF, what else do you want the guy to do? I have not seen any other MLB except Canseco be that honest - have you?

We don't live in a perfect world - come on guys, you mean to say that if steroids were readily available back in the days of Mantle, Aaron, Mays et al, that they would not have done it - please those guys were taking amphetamines! Yes your heroes were druggies back then, just steroids were not as easy to get and the clubs and MLB pretty much encouraged it. I remember when Canseco was playing for the A's in a game back in early 90s and the crowd was screaming S T E R O I D S - and no one said a friggin word.

Lastly talking from experience (not mine, but people I know) steroids don't make you hit the ball farther, strength and speed do. Steroids allow you to recover quicker and practice more often. So if steroids speeds up recovery you know who benefits from that the most - PITCHERS! Yeah over 75% of the failed steroids tests have been pitchers. Imagine if Gibson, Ryan, Seaver, Palmer, Koufax were on steroids - how would Mantle, Mays and Aaron have done?

So again, yes he is a cheater but kudos for fessing up and owning it!
  • Options
    ARod would get my Kudos if he came out before it was proven he had....and the evidence was making the round.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I'm glad that he admitted it. I also still want the Yanks to get rid of him. This is going to be Giambi times 10.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Before anyone starts patting A-Rod on the back, he had NO CHOICE but to admit it! We've seen all too well what happens to those that try to deny it (Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro, McGwire) - they get crufied FOREVER - and they will NEVER get away with it. Eventually a test, a picture, video, needle, whatever will come out and they will look stupid.

So of course he was going to admit it. I could have told you the story he was going to tell before he told it about the pressure of the contract. It makes a nice, neat package to say that he only did it from 01-03. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it comes out that he was doing PEDs outside of that time frame.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is still lying. Evidence will come out of Steroid/HGH use post-2003. He probably got clean when the Mitchell report came out, but it is still possible he is taking HGH. He'd better keep the ex-wife quiet.
  • Options

<< <i>He is still lying. Evidence will come out of Steroid/HGH use post-2003. He probably got clean when the Mitchell report came out, but it is still possible he is taking HGH. He'd better keep the ex-wife quiet. >>

Bingo. He wasn't being 100% truthful with Peter Gammons. He was only being truthful with what he got caught with.
  • Options
    Nobody has hit on the fact that A-Rod dodged several of Gammons direct questions? When it came to who supplied him with steroids? What specific steroids was he taking? He avoided saying who supplied him and said he really didn't know what he was taking? Please don't be so gullable people... this guy knew exactly what he was taking, from whom he was getting the stuff, and who else was taking the stuff on his team.

There's alot more truth to tell before A-roid is going to get any ounce of respect back. Boggles the mind how a guy with a $250 million dollar contract and plenty of proven talent goes down this path after he's fully established as one of the best players in the game at that time? Something doesn't seem right with this story about use between 2001-2003.

I also find it a bit interesting how all these blood tests were taken, and the heads of baseball told the players the results would never be released. Who in there right mind would put names to these blood tests if they were never to be released? It appears they put the names to them to save their own butts when the poop hit the fan. They could easily let the players crash and burn and claim they knew nothing. My guess is the heads of baseball know much, unfortunately like so many others in high places... they dodge the blame and most ironically avoid what everyone is looking for from the players..... the truth.