Home Sports Talk
Options

A-Rod admits steroid use

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see one semi-honest pro athlete. I am more interested in seeing who are the other 103!? I can't wait until the rest of the list is "leaked."
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Honesty is always the key. Way to step up to the plate A-Rod.!
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Think he would sign that New York Post cover TTM?

• Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Ah the heck with it... close the Hall of Fame doors now and start a new one from scratch.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Think he would sign that New York Post cover TTM?

Fantastic! Ya, I noticed the NYP isn't screwing around with their opinion.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    SABO is looking better year after year....the only thing he juiced were his glasses!
  • Options
    I can't wait till this ends. At this point I'm lumping the entire era into "annoyed with" time frame. I was really hoping there would be a way to link A-Rod (love or hate) with a clean player capable of surpassing Bonds.

If Griffey is ever linked to this --- /throws-hands-up-in-the-air

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    At least he admitted it, finally. If the boss were to ask if you copied your butt on the company copy machine, I think "no" would be the answer...unless it could be proved that it was your butt.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Nice to see one semi-honest pro athlete...."

/////////////////////////////

The "Tylenol Strategy" is very unlikely to get the desired
    results, in this instance.

"At least he told the truth," is really not likely to save the
    value of his cards, nor to salve the burn of the fans.

The names of any consultants and spin-docs he hired to
    wordsmith his "statements" should be known soon.

Confessions are fun - and Americans are suckers for them -
    but they ring hollow when the bank robber is caught cold
    with the gun in his belt and the money bag in his hand.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    My sources tell me that at one point Rodriguez was having his purple, sparkly lip gloss laced with HGH, steroids and various other illegal substances.

A spokeperson for Maybelene declined comment.
  • Options
    The person who wanted to know the other 103 names is searching for an answer that doesn't exist. We will never know everybody who did and didn't use steriods. It must be assumed that everybody from the time of 1987-2004 used steriods. All the names will never be uncovered and it was the era of baseball that existed. There are already member of the Hall of Fame from that era including Rickey Henderson, Wade Boggs, Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Nolan Ryan and more. They were part of the "steriod era" and there is probably a member of the hall of fame that has used steriods.

A-Rod's uncovering shouldn't be a surprise to anybody and if you think that this is the final list of people that used, you are in lala land.

We must move on already.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Classic case of...

I'm sorry... that is, I'm sorry I got caught.

We'll put, storm888

Who's next? ...Pujos, Griffey, Thome?

Who's next to admit use? ...McGwire, Palmeiro, Clemens, Bonds?

Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Think he would sign that New York Post cover TTM? >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Think he would sign that New York Post cover TTM? >>

if you're lucky, you would get a personalized auto like this one:

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Give the guy some credit, if I was on that list I'd come forward before the leak.

That would take baseballs.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Confessions are fun - and Americans are suckers for them -
    but they ring hollow when the bank robber is caught cold
    with the gun in his belt and the money bag in his hand. >>

Perhaps, but look at what the other "robbers" did in that place:

McGwire has no comment and lives in exile.
    Palmiero blamed someone else.
    Giambi apologized for no specific reason.
    Bonds said he never "knowingly" did anything wrong.
    Clemens denied everything and got a lawyer.

A-Rod didn't face legal ramifications for the answer he gave. He could have lied like the others. Instead, he chose the truth. I'm not saying that this makes everything OK, but it's a step in the right direction.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>....look at what the other "robbers" did in that place:

McGwire has no comment and lives in exile.
    Palmiero blamed someone else.
    Giambi apologized for no specific reason.
    Bonds said he never "knowingly" did anything wrong.
    Clemens denied everything and got a lawyer.

A-Rod didn't face legal ramifications for the answer he gave. He could have lied like the others. Instead, he chose the truth. I'm not saying that this makes everything OK, but it's a step in the right direction. >>

///////////////////////////////////////////

There is some merit to that view.

But, we probably should not use the grossly-evil as our comparison
    to determine that the grossly-imperfect are deserving of any praise.

It's also more than a little troubling that the guy ONLY admits to what
    he was "caught" doing.

Every alky in drunk-drivers court for the first time tells the judge,

"I'm sorry, I never did it before and I'll never do it again."

It's amazing how good the cops are at catching DUI-guys on their
    "first drive."

When did Arod start doing the subject drugs?

When did he REALLY stop doing the drugs?

I dunno, but I think he's not telling the WHOLE truth. That, to me,
    would be a MUCH better "step in the right direction."

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    GOOD for AROD, im proud of him admitting to the world what he did, it takes alot of guts and courage. im not proud of him doing the ROIDS thats for sure, i really think the other 103 MLB players who were tabbed as being JUICED up also should COME OUT IN THE OPEN!!......WE AS FANS DESERVE THIS!
  • Options
    After everything that Bonds, Big Mac, Palmero, etc... have been through, I could have been the PR firm to give A Rod this advice. Pettitte and Giambi got off much easier.

BTW, he says that he hasn't used since 2003, but why would you or I believe that? Not saying it's not the truth, but the arrogance that it takes to become a professional athlete, also allows them to look Peter Gammons, 60 minutes, or whoever straight in the eye and deny, deny, deny until something like this, that proves otherwise happens.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options

<< <i>The person who wanted to know the other 103 names is searching for an answer that doesn't exist. We will never know everybody who did and didn't use steriods. It must be assumed that everybody from the time of 1987-2004 used steriods. All the names will never be uncovered and it was the era of baseball that existed. There are already member of the Hall of Fame from that era including Rickey Henderson, Wade Boggs, Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Nolan Ryan and more. They were part of the "steriod era" and there is probably a member of the hall of fame that has used steriods.

A-Rod's uncovering shouldn't be a surprise to anybody and if you think that this is the final list of people that used, you are in lala land.

We must move on already. >>

Agreed, let's move on.

But as a side note, who's coming up with the dates for the "Steroid Era"? Who's to say it didn't coincide with the NFL's acknowledgement sp? that there players were doing it in the Early to Mid 70's Ie: Steel Curtain, Raiders ( Alzedo), I know for a fact that we had them in early 1984, because I injected a friend of mine who was a body builder when I was in the Marine Corps, I wasn't going to use it because at 5'6" 150# I wasn't going to be a Major League Athlete.

I believe that I wouldn't put it past anybody from 1968 to now that could've used it in some form or another, chemistry has become so refined in the last 40 years, who knows but I would bet there are several men in the Hall of Fame who either tried it / used it or thought they were helping their bodies by trying / experimenting with some chemical compound.

The Fact is the NFL has been Proactive since 1989 and Major League Baseball has been Reactive since 1994.

As far as the other 103 Players half are going to be pitchers and half position players the current statistics bear that out.

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Lebron James? He gained 30 lbs of muscle over 3 years and didn't lose a step in quickness?

Hell the NBA doesn't even crack down for smoking herb.
    Mike
  • Options
    Admitting the use of steroids was the right move for AROD. People in general are very forgiving.

The route that Bonds and Clemens chose to go will only lead to more trouble and possibly jail time.
  • Options

<< <i>Admitting the use of steroids was the right move for AROD. >>

Well, I wonder if he gave a full admission, or just what he thought was sufficient. Maybe he stopped in 2004, based on his numbers, and his move to NYC. But they went up again in 2005 and 2007. So, seriously, does anyone think he was fully truthful? I do not, and have asserted here before I believe, that there is more to Canseco than others are giving him credit for. He still seems to be the only one who admitted using them before his name was "caught".
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    Monday’s ESPN interview directly contradicted a December 2007 interview with CBS’s “60 Minutes,” when Rodriguez said, “No” when asked whether he’s ever used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing substance.

This is what upsets me about A-Rod.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I credit Rodriguez for admitting steroid use, even if it is after the leak. It's better than denying it in the the face of the facts like some of his contemporaries have done. Onefasttalon may have hit on something when he suggested closing the HOF doors and starting from scratch. Of course, that's not going to happen.

There isn't a player of this era whose use of steroids would surprise me. Fairly or unfairly, I just assume that they all used. Despite the numbers of Ramirez, A. Rodriguez, McGwire, Juan Gonzalez, Palmeiro, Sosa, I. Rodriguez, Sheffield, et al, none were equal to the likes of Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Killebrew, F. Robinson, McCovey, Brett, Schmidt, Murray, and others of the pre-steroid days. Barry Bonds--the steroid poster child--is the only possible exception. That's what makes his involvement so tragic. He didn't have to use drugs to be considered one of the greatest ever. Now everyone just wants him to go away.

Steroid use in baseball hasn't bothered me too much, though. I've steadily lost interest in MLB as the talent thinned with expansion, pitching became a lost art, ballparks grew ever-smaller, balls were newly juiced, the DH became a permanent fixture in the AL, interleague play began, and the All-Star game determined the World Series home field advantage. I've grown into one of those crotchety old farts who is always longing for the "gold ol' days."
    Brett
  • Options
    The truth is , he used roids , you don't need to ask why , he told you why and I think he was truthful .

You don't really need to know when , because as far as the hall of fame is concerned or Records or collections or any of that , it is pretty much all over .

I think if we all had to spill the beans about things we have done in the passed , {Insert your imagination here }