Home Sports Talk
Options

3 years 54 mil...a steal!

BAM

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    ESPN just reported that Ryan Howard was spotted leaving the Phillies' head office with a gun and wearing a mask!

BAM!!!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    So, they are paying 90,000 per strikeout?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and Phila didn't buy out ANY of Howard's FA years? image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Yankee fan ticked cause your paying Giambi more than that to feed his habit!

Congrats!

JS
  • Options
    LOL ok spin doctor! You posted about Howard, not Giambi! Dont try to sweeten that stat cuz I know seeing it HURTS image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What a real spin doctor. 54 million for 3 years!!

If the Mets or Yanks signed someone comparable to a contract like that

he would be whining.

Be consistent dude.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    thats a lotta money for this fat load to spend at the old country buffet!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    So continuing a point I started a couple weeks ago, could Philly have played it ANY WORSE with Howard's salary? With the way the economy is going, they could have gone to arbitration with him these next 3 years and paid him less than $54m!! Beyond that, as Barndog points out, they don't control him in any of his FA years.

So, based on the article I quoted earlier, they tried to come to a long-term deal after his MVP year, but couldn't, so Howard has made/will make the following:

2007 - $900,000
    2008 - $10m
    2009 - $15m
    2010 - $19m
    2011 - $20m

Average annual salary = $13m/season over 5 arbitration-elegible seasons!

Based on similar contracts that have been signed by various young players/teams (Sizemore, Pedroia, Longoria, etc), my guess is that $11m/season for Howard would have been VERY generous. I'm only speculating, but a 7-year, $77m contract after his MVP probably could have gotten it done, since it would have been a historic contract for such a young player. He'd be crazy to have turned down that kind of guaranteed money. Now, Philly will have him 2 less seasons and $2m more per year.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a real spin doctor. 54 million for 3 years!!

If the Mets or Yanks signed someone comparable to a contract like that

he would be whining.

Be consistent dude.

Steve >>

Pathetic post of the day. The Phillies didn't steal Howard from anybody like those thieves from New York - he's a home grown player and what we pay a home grown player is our business. So dream about your stinkin' Pets maybe getting 2nd place in the NL East...because ya got no shot at 1st place. Ha! Ha! make that a double Ha! Ha!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sincerely,

0-5 3K's
  • Options
    hey dingbat I didn't say they did.

Yeah the Sillies have no free agents on the team?

Sincerely,

Shane Victorino

Jason Werth

2 off the top of my head.

The Mets?

They have a couple too. Rest came via trades and or farm system or did you not know
    how Wright and Reyes came from.

More ridiculous nonsense.

So before you spout your venom have your facts straight.

Makes you look stupid.

Face it the Sillies are over paying just like everyone else.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I'm wondering how a team 'steals' a player from another team if that player is a FREE AGENT?

Maybe the resident no it all can explain that to me.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>0-5 3K's >>

Hey, if Howard got five (5) at bats, that probably means the Phillies scored six (6) to eight (8) runs and won the game!

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>hey dingbat I didn't say they did.

Yeah the Sillies have no free agents on the team?

Sincerely,

Shane Victorino

Jason Werth

2 off the top of my head.

The Mets?

They have a couple too. Rest came via trades and or farm system or did you not know
    how Wright and Reyes came from.

More ridiculous nonsense.

So before you spout your venom have your facts straight.

Makes you look stupid.

Face it the Sillies are over paying just like everyone else.

Steve >>

jealous WinPitcher - I'm luvin' it...you are a fan of truly the most pathetic choking stinkin' mercenary team in the history of baseball...gonna be a long losing baseball summer for you...get used to it. Ha! Ha!

And congrats on winning the pathetic post of the day - you earned it. Ha! Ha! Ha!
  • Options
    at least winpitcher isnt like you and stalin and doesnt jump on and off of his teams bandwagon multiple times a season, hell, you jumped back and forth about 5 times in one thread to the eagles playoff game.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    and WinPitcher...stop acting silly and ignorant...you know your team for years has been like a bunch of thieves, stealing players from other teams...again...stop acting like you just got off the boat.
  • Options

<< <i>at least winpitcher isnt like you and stalin and doesnt jump on and off of his teams bandwagon multiple times a season, hell, you jumped back and forth about 5 times in one thread to the eagles playoff game. >>

it's called being a "fan"
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the Sillies payroll will soon be eclipsing the Mets if they overpay the rest of their 25-man roster at this rate...mercenaries indeed!! image

P.S. Dave Kingman was seen trying out for AAA ball...when he was approached by a reporter he stated that "if mini me can make 18-mil a yerar, I should still be able to make about 8!"

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Who wants to put bets on when Ryan Howard becomes the next Mo Vaughn? LOL
  • Options
    ahh the jealous Phillies bashers...especially the NY fans...can't stand it when their team has no shot to win a championship this upcoming season because other teams such as the Phillies and Red Sox want to compete against them. Reminds me of the "tough" schoolyard bully who the first time he finally gets punched, he runs off and cries. Well the NY teams aren't bullying around the Phillies and some other teams any longer, and now their fans are crying like babies. Well too bad, so sad! Ha! Ha!

Prediction...and this is an easy call...Pets windup at least 10 games behind the Phillies by the end of the season...guaranteed...etched in stone.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>ahh the jealous Phillies bashers...especially the NY fans...can't stand it when their team has no shot to win a championship this upcoming season because other teams such as the Phillies and Red Sox want to compete against them. Reminds me of the "tough" schoolyard bully who the first time he finally gets punched, he runs off and cries. Well the NY teams aren't bullying around the Phillies and some other teams any longer, and now their fans are crying like babies. Well too bad, so sad! Ha! Ha!

Prediction...and this is an easy call...Pets windup at least 10 games behind the Phillies by the end of the season...guaranteed...etched in stone. >>

Do you really think that Yankees fans are concerned with other teams winning or who other teams sign? LOL Sorry, they dont! This is about Ryan Howard and ONLY Ryan Howard. Lets keep the spinning to a low roar!
  • Options
    And I would like to add....I'll take Teixeira at the price the Yankees are paying over what the Phils are paying Ryan Howard any day of the week!
  • Options
    The Phillies know when to let go of has beens.

Sincerely,

Scott Rolen and Bobby Abreu
  • Options
    Uh no...the NY fan's comments are really about the fact that their days of carte blanche stealing players from some other teams are over...however they'll still be able to steal players away from the smaller market teams. But these fans like WinPitcher are just angry and upset that they can't steal EVERY player out there like they used to be able to do.

My advice to NY fans...better get used to it, and get used to losing.....get used to other teams like the Philadelphia Phillies being World Series champions. Ha! Ha!

and an important note to WinPitcher in case he was a wondering.....Carte Blanche is not a baseball player.
  • Options
    I love fans who talk crap after their team has won only its second championship in the last 30 years LOL
  • Options
    Number of championships in the 21st century:

Yankees: 1
    Phillies: 1

Sincerely,
    Posada, Matsui, Damon and their 40 million dollar salary between them!

LMAO
  • Options
    Very poor attempt at humor, Stalin but its good that you are able to crack yourself up!

Do the math...we've only had 9 years completed in the 21st century! And where does that make Phillies better than anyone else?

Im getting dizzy here.....way too much spinnninnngggggggggg
  • Options
    Shouldnt the title read "3 years 54 mil....Phillies were robbed!" The only stealing there was is Howard stealing from the Phillies image
  • Options
    Ahhh....NY fans.....dwelling on the past....you all go right ahead and relish those dusty trophies signifying memories of days gone by....me....I'll take the present & future of a well run, still hungry, classy ballclub with a group of interesting, dedicated, blue collar players who love to win, and not come to the ballpark just to pickup their paycheck and pose for endorsement photos.

BTW: The Phillies are the 2008 World Series champions, and there's nothing you can do to change that. HA! HA!
  • Options
    Where'd WinPitcher go in this thread? image

I guess he's angry and frustrated knowing his Pets have no chance this upcoming season to go anywhere. Hey WinPitcher...don't worry about it...there's other things to do during the summer besides being a baseball fan...you can take up gardenlng, bird watching, maybe join a tea club and enjoy crumpets and good conversation with the old ladies and tell them about all those Mets and Yankees championships of the past. LOL
  • Options
    These Sillies fans cant seem to stick with thread topics! image
  • Options

<< <i><<I love fans who talk crap after their team has won only its second championship in the last 30 years>>

Correction. Second championship in the last over 100 years. >>

Here's a fact for ya - at least the Phillies have been here over 100 years...that's a lot more than can be said for both of your NY NL teams who skedaddled from New York to California, and then the Mets were born out of that.

When are the Mets moving to Sacramento?
  • Options
    Ouch. That hurts. NY couldnt handle 3 teams at once so they had to settle for 2. Every NYer should be ashamed.

What was the topic here again????
  • Options

<< <i>Ouch. That hurts. NY couldnt handle 3 teams at once so they had to settle for 2. Every NYer should be ashamed.

What was the topic here again???? >>

The "topic" is Ryan Howard and doing whatever it takes to ensure the Phillies win pennants for years to come.

I'd rather be a part of that, than have as a team's main topic of conversation being A-Rod and his steroids.
  • Options
    I dont think anyone wants steroid controversy so I cant disagree with you there.

But as for Howard bringing more championships to the Phillies? If anyone, it will be a healthy Chase Utley, not Ryan Howard.
  • Options
    WinPitcher, WinPitcher...where art thou?

Steve...don't get too upset and start crying now...I was only kidding about your team moving to Sacramento. Because no city wants a team infamously known for being the worst choking team of all time.

Oh this is gonna be a great season for smack...I can see the Pets fans (except for maybe Grote15 who has stones) completely absent from this forum by around the All Star break, as the Pets are languishing away in 3rd or 4th place. Steve, again, don't cry now...the Pets aren't moving....yet. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>ahh the jealous Phillies bashers...especially the NY fans...can't stand it when their team has no shot to win a championship this upcoming season because other teams such as the Phillies and Red Sox want to compete against them. Reminds me of the "tough" schoolyard bully who the first time he finally gets punched, he runs off and cries. Well the NY teams aren't bullying around the Phillies and some other teams any longer, and now their fans are crying like babies.
    . >>

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Mets are +120 to win the NL East, Phillies are +150.

• Options
    Hey WinPitcher - here's a link for ya...you can check it out around the All Star break when your mercenary team is basically done, and you need something else to do:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/destinations/New_York_City/New_York_City_Area_Bird_watching.html
  • Options
    I'm sorry did I miss something..who are the world champions of baseball?

oh yeah..see signature line in case you forgot.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry did I miss something..who are the world champions of baseball?

oh yeah..see signature line in case you forgot. >>

Ya didn't miss nothing...just mostly whining, crying baby NY fans who don't get it that the team which just won a World Series and has a great opportunity for more in the future, was simply rewarding their star player who was second in the MVP balloting and in my opinion should have won it.

NY fans can't understand why some teams no longer bow down to them, and no longer just let the Mets and Yankees steal whoever they want - Well NY fans I've got some news for ya... those days are over! Ha! Ha!
  • Options

<< <i>

Ya didn't miss nothing...just mostly whining, crying baby NY fans who don't get it that the team which just won a World Series and has a great opportunity for more in the future, was simply rewarding their star player who was second in the MVP balloting and in my opinion should have won it.

NY fans can't understand why some teams no longer bow down to them, and no longer just let the Mets and Yankees steal whoever they want - Well NY fans I've got some news for ya... those days are over! Ha! Ha! >>

If that entire post wasnt Sillies whining then I have misunderstood what whining is all these years of my life! LOL
    And its great that the Phils did win the World Series. They deserved it. But now its 2009 and a new season. Let the season begin!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

NY fans can't understand why some teams no longer bow down to them, and no longer just let the Mets and Yankees steal whoever they want - Well NY fans I've got some news for ya... those days are over! Ha! Ha! >>

If that entire post wasnt Sillies whining then I have misunderstood what whining is all these years of my life! LOL
    And its great that the Phils did win the World Series. They deserved it. But now its 2009 and a new season. Let the season begin! >>

I think all that most fans ask for is a level playing field - you've never heard me beatch like this with the Eagles, and I respect and admire whenever the NY Giants or Jets would win a Super Bowl...but it would be quite naive and ignorant to believe that in MLB the playing field is level for all teams, and that's not even debatable...and in my view that needs to change with a salary cap which would make the game better for ALL fans.