Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ok, can someone explain the price of the Roosevelt 1968 PCGS PR69DCAM?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I bought mine for my registry set almost 5 years ago. Nice example, no toning, PCGS PR69DCAM.
I haven't watched it over the years and hadn't thought much of the pricing. Just figured it was static to down, like many others in that timeframe and grade.

I happen to look for someone else on teletrade (trying to see if I can get any of the silver Roosies for my son's set as he turns 7 in a few days) and happen to glance and see the 1968 PR69DCAM in PCGS plastic....looked at their most recent 4 (including 2 from 2009 being sold):
Jan 25 2009 Dime 1968S Proof PCGS 69 DCAM $242*
Jan 18 2009 Dime 1968S Proof PCGS 69 DCAM $230*
Jul 20 2008 Dime 1968S Proof PCGS 69 DCAM $138*
May 11 2008 Dime 1968S Proof PCGS 69 DCAM $280*

Ummm...PCGS price guide still says "$90" yet these are still going for 2 to 2 1/2 times that! What's up with that?
Examples look the same....no toning specials, non are "no S" varities.....

Anyone have realistic ideas?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    Unlike some, I am not stuck on the PCGS price guide....I mentioned it just as a reference......as the title states, I am looking to see if anyone has paid more attention to this issue and why it has run up like it has in the last few years.....

I'm quite aware the PCGS price guide isn't gospel or up to date on a lot of the issues.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Bumping to see if anyone might have an answer who can comprehend the post and not fixate on the PCGS price guide portion........

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for PCGS, but I only use their prices as one data point among many. Often, they are not close to the true market prices (both high and low).

The first place I check is Teletrade - they often have recent sales of coins I am interested in buying or selling. Of course, you did the same thing. But make sure you look at the pictures on Teletrade as well, sometimes there are good reasons why a coin sells for the price it does. Monster cameo coins sell for much more that average (not that you see too many monsters on Teletrade), nicely toned coins, etc. In any event, at least you will get some real life market data.

The second place I check is Heritage -

The last place I check is PCGS - by the time I get there, I ususally have determined the market price.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    We welcome pricing input from all PCGS dealers and all serious coin collectors. If you have pricing suggestions, email them to pcgspriceguide@collectors.com. Be sure to include relevant information such as
    auction records
    private offerings
    public sales
    …as opposed to just saying, “I think this price is too low (or high).”
    We will not be able to personally respond to your emails but we will review your suggestions.

• Options
    Just out of curiousity, when looking at prices on Teletrade and Heritage, to determine the value of a coin, do you add in the juice paid. I have read many threads where buyers will determine their bids by adding this in as well as postage in many cases to not exceed what they have determined to be the full value of the coin.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Silver Roosies for my son's set as he turns 7 in a few days)

A warm Happy Birthday to your Son Bochiman. image

As to you Bochiman.. I, hope you break your ankle or something.image
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that six month gap between the second sale and the last two has something to do with it. If you were in the market for what you thought was a $90 modern widget, and then went six months without the opportunity to bid on one, you might start to think the coin was scarcer than you originally believed and be willing to push higher when the opportunity did arise.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file