Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade opinion please for an 1878 toned Morgan

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bought this one recently and I would like to know what you think about it. It's a Vam 84.

I purchased a second one and it's currently on the BST forum for sale. It also is a Vam 84 and has gorgeous crescent-shaped toning.

All four pictures are of the same coin (different lighting).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say 63. Toning seems kinda dark on the obverse.

I was going to say 64, but there seems to be a series of parallel scratches across Liberty's cheek, so those (if present) will limit the grade.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • 65 and a vam....
  • Obv #1 doesn't show enough detail

Obv#2 seems tilted and one side is out of focus

Both reverses look 65
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on your photos, I'd go MS64. Was the subject coin in a TPG holder? Did you cherry the VAM?
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin was purchased raw.

I only check for Vams when I get home. There's no way I'm smart enough to remember all these Vams!!

There's not a major mark on the obverse. The cheek is extremely clean and those aren't scratches in front on the face (in the fields) but only toning patterns.

In my opinion, the coin's an easy ms64, hopefully an ms65.

Is a Vam 84 worth a premium?

I have a gorgeous vam 84 for sale currently on the BST (pardon the blatant plug!!)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    You should probably spend some time here.

<< <i>You should probably spend some time here. >>

that's the site I use to check for Vams.

Another reason why I haven't spent time memorizing them, is I don't know if these Vams carry any substantial premium.

It seems that any Morgan is some kind of Vam variety.

I sometimes think only about 20 out of the 8000 different types of Vams really matter.

I don't want to offend the Vam collectors, it's just my uneducated opinion. You see, in Canada, Vams are basically an unknown commodity.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    64 (weak obverse strike and impaired luster)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

<< <i>

Another reason why I haven't spent time memorizing them, is I don't know if these Vams carry any substantial premium.

I sometimes think only about 20 out of the 8000 different types of Vams really matter.

I don't want to offend the Vam collectors, it's just my uneducated opinion. You see, in Canada, Vams are basically an unknown commodity. >>

If you spend time at the VAMworld site, you will have seen that they post price realized info as well.

Top 100, hot 50 and hit list 40 coins generally seem to bring a premium. Additionally, PCGS will acknowledge other VAM varieties on their inserts, such as the 84 (but oddly enough, not the 84A), and these will subsequently bring some premium. The VAM84 is part of the major VAM set in the PCGS registry.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't want to offend the Vam collectors, it's just my uneducated opinion. You see, in Canada, Vams are basically an unknown commodity. >>

If you spend time at the VAMworld site, you will have seen that they post price realized info as well.

Top 100, hot 50 and hit list 40 coins generally seem to bring a premium. Additionally, PCGS will acknowledge other VAM varieties on their inserts, such as the 84 (but oddly enough, not the 84A), and these will subsequently bring some premium. The VAM84 is part of the major VAM set in the PCGS registry. >>

Good to know.

Thanks!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file