Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold revaluation explained

derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
per the author, why it will happen:
Stewart Thomson

Per Thompson: "The key to restarting the economy is control of the gold market."

Note that he concludes that gold stocks are the place to be if/when it happens.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    A most interesting article. I am in total

agreement with the thoughts expressed.

Federal control of gold will happen, because

it must happen in order to stop the downward

spiral of spending. The world is at the beginning

of something horrible and enomous as it pertains

to the economy. All the stops must be pulled out

If we are to survive what is in effect another world

wide depression.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Gold isn't going to play any direct role. The government can borrow and if necessary, print all the money they want. That's the essence of having a fiat currency. There will be an effect on gold, eventually. It will be, in effect, a devaluation of the dollar against gold. But a "revaluation" will inflate all asset classes, from the Dow to real estate. Gold will be a major beneficiary, but an unintended one.

That's why I've often thought that if you believe big time inflation is coming, you ought to put some money down and buy real estate with a fixed-rate mortgage. That's really the way to play the inflation card.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as gold remains an alternative to paper investments it remains a threat to the Fed's efforts to stabalize the economy. So far, they have been able to "contain" the threat. At some point, as things get worse, they will have to "remove" the threat. More than one of Obama's economic team have gone on record as being anti-gold in the past.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "More than one of Obama's economic team have gone on record as being anti-gold in the past."

JMHO
    Our elected representatives want everyone in frn's or at the very least, something that they can tax like property or assets that they can attach, revalue, mess with. They need to be able to keep track of how many frn's and taxable assets everyone has. My perception is that our elected representatives want everyone in either the stockmarket, some fund, bonds, savings accounts, 401k's, or something that bankers and witch doctors can "adjust" but with gold, they have few tools to do their bidness. How can you tax metal in an sdb when you don't even know who has it or how much they have? Worst thing about gold for our elected representatives is that it does the economy no good if gold is sitting in a sdb and not getting played. They need every frn and everything of value out there churning around so the game keeps going. But, people are saving now, they are holding back, they aren't playing at the level they used to, the money is not going around anymore so they have to inject a trillion buks to keep the horses going around and around to the music for a little while longer.

All in all, I doubt that private ownership of gold is even on the radar of our elected representatives...unless it eventually is the only thing that does have value when held against the flood of frn's and frn debt that the government is promoting. I suspect that if the govt. told everyone to turn in their gold for $100/oz it might result in the federal balance sheet looking a little better but we're talking trillions of frns of debt against a few people holding some PM. Of course it would be better if they had some kind of hard asset to trade, like people's gold, to C for all the notes they are holding but the govt. has so many larger problems than that and those problems are here right now. Who has gold is surely not one of their major concerns for the moment.

I do agree with the postion that the players, particularly the bankers, are possibly working the other side of the trade and their efforts at playing the furtures and paper gold trade may only for their own betterment in the end but of course, there is no way to know which side of the trade they are on so we will never see what they are actually up to right now. Now, if we had an inventory of all the supposedly hard metal that is supposed to be stored on behalf of the paper investors by the funds, maybe we could see the real picture but we will never see that. Maybe if we knew where the 350 b TARP went we would understand better where things actually are but we will never see that. Maybe if the comex got called and people actually took possession of their metal then we might get to see the real picture but once again, we will never see that. "Transparency" was never intended to be a two way street.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I am a contrarian. I always believe the exact opposite

to whatever our Government Officials say. If they say

that they wont do something, then they surly will do it.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage