Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A little frustrated with the pop reports...

This is not a huge issue - an annoyance more than anything else. Perhaps others on these threads share my frustration.
I use the pop reports frequently and have always felt that PSA/DNA entries are out of place there. IMO they only serve to muddle the report. Does anyone really care that someone submitted a '76 autographed card of Ed Kranepool, and that it got a grade of 8? The purpose of PSA/DNA is mainly for authentication of the autograph, and the grade of the card is secondary, that's why so many of these entries are low grades or just graded authentic. And they're not included in the totals of the regular cards, so why put them in the list at all? As more and more of these entries are added, it is getting harder to wade through them all to get to the useful information for which these reports were created.
Taking out the PSA/DNA entries will result in cleaner and more useful population reports.

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the POP reports are already and will forever be corrupted. Why? Each and every card that is cracked out of a PSA slab causes an unintentional inflation of the POP for that card. How? Example: You crack out card "x" from a PSA 7 slab and send it in raw. Suppose the card comes back as a PSA 7, what happens now? The card has self-cloned into TWO PSA 7s. Furthermore, if the cracked card comes back as a PSA 8 or higher (which is the objective), then the PSA 7 remains and a "new" PSA 8/9 is created. Either way, up or down or the same, the card is duplicated in some fashion. If the crack out comes from another label, SGC, etc, and sent in raw, then there is no issue.

However, I agree with your statement, except for the part about "more useful population reports".

Something else to keep in mind (IMO), if you are seeking card "x" in a PSA 8, and the POP report or seller touts the card as say 1 of 12, you need to realize the possibility of some (could be many) of this card are tied up in the Registry. The card could be in player sets, complete sets or team sets. So, if you find there are 7 of this card in the Registry, the rarity of the card then becomes more obvious as it is really a 1 of 5. Of course it is possible that you check the Registry one day, only to find that someone has sold a set that contains that particular card, thus increasing the opportunity to get the card. However, the card is still gone if you don't get in on the sale. Point is, 1 of 12 ain't always 1 of 12 in terms of market availability.
  • Options
    if you crack out a card and send psa the flip......will they remove it from the pop report?.......and does anyone actually do that?......it sure would help.....
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could they if you sent it in raw? If you send it in slabbed in a PSA holder, your chances of getting a bump are next to nil. One would assume that yes, they'd adjust the POP report if you sent the card in a PSA holder and it got a bump up or down. However, I think that is very, very rare.

Raw is raw no?

If you are saying "the flip" meaning the red tag along with the raw submission, I've never heard of anyone doing that. If you did do that, I think you are negating the potential for an upgrade and may as well have send the card in slabbed.
  • Options
    I mean...let's say you send in a card hoping for a 9 or 10.....comes back a 7....so you send in a different card and it gets the 9..... now you might crack out the 7 for your raw set and send in the flip to have it removed from the pop report.......
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are saying "the flip" meaning the red tag along with the raw submission, I've never heard of anyone doing that. If you did do that, I think you are negating the potential for an upgrade and may as well have send the card in slabbed. >>

You don't have to send the flip (red tag thingy) in when you send the card to be graded. Just throw it in an envelope later and send it to PSA. They will remove it from the database.
  • Options
    yeah.....this is what i meant

Just throw it in an envelope later and send it to PSA. They will remove it from the database.
  • Options
    ken61ken61 Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I can also confirm that PSA will remove a card from the database if you send in the red thingy.

I suspect that only a small percentage of people do this.
  • Options
    I suspect that only a small percentage of people do this.

Precisely why the pop report is filled with errors...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    It appears on the surface anyway that PSA doesn't want to put the extra effort into keeping the POP Report acurate. I had this happen a few weeks ago. I have a 1954 Red Heart Warren Spahn PSA/Dna authentic autograph which is according to the POP Report is a one only. I was on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and was very suprised to see another listed in an auction. I emailed the seller to get the cert. number and confirmed on PSA site. The one in the POP Report is my cert. number. The other cert. number doesn't have the type filled in so it is not in the POP Report. I emailed PSA using there contact page and explained the problem thinking they could update the POP Report but as of today this has not happened. I am going to be cracking some cards to send for autographs. I was thinking of taking a picture of the empty slabs and sending to PSA so they can take the off the POP Report.

Jim
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I am going to be cracking some cards to send for autographs. I was thinking of taking a picture of the empty slabs and sending to PSA so they can take the off the POP Report. Jim >>

Just put the flips in an envelope and mail them back to PSA. They should adjust the Pop Report.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am going to be cracking some cards to send for autographs. I was thinking of taking a picture of the empty slabs and sending to PSA so they can take the off the POP Report. Jim >>

Just put the flips in an envelope and mail them back to PSA. They should adjust the Pop Report. >>

OK Doug I will.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Hammered - I agree with you. Having the PSA/DNA populations mixed in is an annoyance. I download the pop report of the sets I collect into an Excel chart that I end up using as my checklist. It's really handy to see which cards I have and what I need and to see the pop report all at one glance. But every time I do this, the first thing I have to do is go through and erase all the PSA/DNA information because those are not part of the set registry. Not a huge deal, reallly, but a minor annoyance nonetheless. And it would be cleaner if they were taken out or at least bunched up at the bottom of the report instead of intermingled with the regular grades.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I did a psa/dna vintage topps set and liked having the registry, that said it would make sense to have it seperated.
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    about 1 month ago, I noticed an eBay auction for a 1988 Leaf Roberto Alomar Rookie PSA 10 with a BIN of $109.00. The pop report says there are only 2 in existance, so I checked it out. Upon inspection it turned out to be a Donruss version and NOT the Leaf version. The registry showed it was logged in as a Leaf version in error.

I contacted customer service at PSA to notify them of the error and included the link to eBay for them to see for themselves and got this response:

'Hello,

I apologize, sometimes we make errors.
    If a card is labeled incorrectly it needs to be submitted for corrections in order to have out database corrected. We can not correct the website until the card is in hand.

Thank you,

Jessica Haisley

PSA Customer Service
    jhaisley@collectors.com
    800-325-1121'

I couldn't believe they really didn't care and were going to wait for the seller to re-submit it to have it corrected even though they could have simply saved everyone the time with the nice picture of the card as proof.

I emailed them back asking about the integrity of the reports and doing the right thing to uphold the PSA reputation.. I also cc'd Joe Orlando(who usually gets back) with the response, I never heard a word back about it again from PSA.

I'd be ticked if I was the owner of the only other Leaf Roberto Alomar PSA 10.

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the other 1988 Leaf Roberto Alomar Rookie PSA 10 is wrong to.

James