Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Al Widmar is my hero!

His PSA 8 card has pushed me to 8.00 exactly on my 1951 Bowman set.

8.00 Baby!

(D'oh! I had his name wong.)

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    David, Congratulations - Now that you are 8.00, you are my hero! Good Job...jay
  • Options
    David,

congratulations! You are in some pretty lofty company!

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Excellent Job David image

Are Varghabucks making a comeback already?
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Nope -- the sale of my 1949 Bowman set is making a comeback. You will notice that Ron Hobbs has my 1949 Bowman (regular issue) set now on the Registry. I also sold him two PSA 9's that are upgrades of what is listed and he has some upgrades as well. Ron is an excellent customer as well as a very interesting and pleasant man to listen to. He said that there was a write-up on him in last year's March SMR. If anybody can find a copy of that to fax or mail to me, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Vargha,

Great job. Congrats.

Carlos
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Vargha,

Congrats. You are an inspiration to us all!!

aconte
  • Options
    David, nice collection, congratulations! What next?

Sky
    "Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • Options
    Congrats, Dave, on a wonderful accomplishment.
    Dom

If I'm buying it's PRICELESS. If I'm selling, it's WORTHLESS.

Looking for 1984 Donruss -
    #238 Keith Hernandez PSA 10
    -----------------and
    #637 Omar Moreno PSA 9 or 10.

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Dave,

WOW!!!! I would love to see your set. Ever thought of putting scans on the registry and sharing your set with everyone??? I appreciated seeing the 2 nines that you put on the boards.

The 1951 Bowman set is one of my alltime favorites.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    I have no scans right now (other than a mantle PSA 8 which will be coming in next week hopefully). I am torn about showing what I have. Perhaps I am paranoid because the competition is so fierce in this seat and I still am missing 10 PSA 8's. Also, the Branca's and Merkel's of the world are still hunting down 9's so I am not sure about showing what I have in that regard either. I would be interested to see some of your thoughts on the matter.
  • Options
    David, nice collection, congratulations! What next?

Thanks -- this is really it for a long time I think. I will still be looking to upgrade this set. I have spent a ton of money putting it together and it scares me that I am looking at $14K minimum just to complete the set in PSA 8, assuming I can find those cards.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Congrats !!!!!!!!!!
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    David Vargha - Deity of the PSA Set Registry

*bows*

So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Nice job David. Time to start working on a PSA 9 1972 set! image

As for showing your set, it's really up to you. It would be nice for everyone to be able to see it but you have to keep your own interests in mind. I don't worry about showing my sets because they are late 60's to early 70's and relatively plentiful in high grade. By showing the holes in my set, I'm hoping it will encourage more dealers/collectors to submit those cards and sell them. However, your set is much scarcer and needs no motivation to convince people to submit high grade commons. Therefore you don't have much to gain by showing it until it is complete to your satisfaction.

Good luck on the remaining PSA 8 commons.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    Vargha, I would like to congratulate you on reaching 8.00. I know that this is something you have been working toward and have sacrificed for ('49 Bowman Sets). Glad to see you get there.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    David-

Congratulations! Must be an absolutely amazing 1951 Bowman set.

As for Ron Hobbs -- he is a great guy to deal with. I was also looking for that article on him if you ever get a copy of that. He has a very nice 1955 Bowman set that I would love to own!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Congrads on the wonderful set. $14,000 is pretty scary and thats if there arn't any more upgrades to any cards. If you get those other 10 8's what would your GPA be at?
    Ref- gameusedmaniac, Iverson3Ball, penguin, iverson4eva, playmaker84, teletubbie, ilya, JRCCRUM

I collect mostly vintage basketball. I am about 30% done on 61' Fleer and 85% on 72-73 Topps.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    KardKollector> "If you get those other 10 8's what would your GPA be at?"

Well. . .since his current average is 8.00, if he added more 8s then his average would remain 8.00.

Now. . .his Set Rating may change depending on the weighting of the cards he will add, but the GPA should remain the same in that situation.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Mike, I'm not sure that is correct.

Let's use this example: There's a 10 card set and all of the weightings are equal to 1. Let's now say that the set has 6 PSA 8's, 2 PSA 7's and and 2 PSA 9's.

The above example would have a GPA of 8.0 and a Set Rating of 8.0 (Set Rating equals GPA when a set is 100% complete). You know this already. I'm just adding information for KardKollector and others.

Back to the example - Now let's say that the 2 PSA 7's are upgraded to PSA 8. Well now the set has 8 PSA 8's and 2 PSA 9's. The GPA and the Set Rating are now 8.20. So the addition of the 8's does raise the GPA and of course the Set Rating as well.

Vargha's '51 Bowman set currently has a GPA of 8.0. If he is still looking to upgrade 10 cards to PSA 8, that means he must have some 9's in the collection (or even a few 10's) that helped bring his GPA up to an 8.0.

Once he upgrades those 10 cards to PSA 8's his GPA may be 8.01 or 8.10 for all we know. We won't know for sure since he's not showing his grades in the Registry. If he decides to show the grades at some point it will be easy to calculate what the GPA will be when it's all said and done.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Actually the GPA would go up since I have 9's in it right now. The Set Rating is all jacked up again. Every time I add cards I have to e-mail Gayle to tell the programmers to fix the database. They should both be equal at this point since my set is at 100% and there are no variations with the 51 Bowmans. I have a PSA 8 Mantle that is on the way (the current listing is a 6). I believe that should jump me to 8.03. At this point in time, upgrades only add a few ticks. Of the ten remaining cards to upgrade (all 7's), only Mays is of significant weighting. My belief is that together, they represent .03 to .05 of total increase in the Set Rating/GPA. BTW -- the Mantle cost me the entire 1949 set, but that was probably the only way I was ever going to put together that kind of cash at one time.
  • Options
    Ok there you go. Vargha just confirmed my thinking.

David, I continue to have the same problem as you do regarding the "jumping" Set Ratings. In one of my sets it also screws up the "Finest Possible Set Rating". BJ said they're working on a program to fix this. Keep your fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Vargha - Congrats !!!!! A truly Herculean effort......
  • Options
    WOW!

Congratulations David.

You have put together one great set.
  • Options
    Bands are playing, flags are waving and pretty girls are dancing to mark this festive occasion. Outstanding, Vargha, that's outstanding!
    imageimage