Home Sports Talk
Options

Bad Guy

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
This guy makes Elijah Dukes seem sane.

From Joe Posnasnski's blog.

This is so mind boggling, I cannot even believe it.

In case, you don’t want to click on it: That’s a story about former Kansas City Royals/New York Mets pitcher Ambiorix Burgos. You might recall that Burgos was traded straight up for our favorite pitcher Brian Bannister.

Banny, you probably know, is the greatest guy in the world.

And Burgos, it is now becoming clear, is desperately trying to become the worst.

Burgos was arrested in September, and here I’m pulling from the story that appeared in the New York Daily News, for “allegedly slamming his girlfriend against the wall at the Holiday Inn … He repeatedly punched her on the back, bit her and slapped her, prosecutors said.”

Well, hey, those were prosecutors, right? Maybe they exaggerated.

Burgos was arrested in October in Santo Domingo, and here I’m pulling from the Associated Press story: “Ambiorix Burgos was driving an SUV when it slammed into two women who later died of their injuries, police said.” It was a hit and run, and Burgos turned himself in a week later. It was in the second story that the AP reported, almost in passing, that Burgos also faced an unrelated illegal weapon charge.

Then comes the story we linked. A fellow ballplayer in the Dominican named Felix Gatico Martinez says that Burgos TWICE tried to shoot him after a heated argument they had during — we cannot make up this stuff — during a dominoes game.

I remember a scout calling me after the Royals traded Burgos to the Mets for Bannister. You know, there were some around baseball who thought the Royals were off for making that deal. Burgos could throw 98 mph. He had a devastating split-fingered fastball. He was clearly not going to be one of the five Burgos family members to appear on Family Feud, if you know what I mean, but if there are 100 people surveyed, top three answers on the board, name a pitch that gets people out — a 98 mph fastball would probably be the number one answer.

Anyway, there were mixed feelings about the trade, and this scout calls me and tells me that it’s great for the Royals. He had a lot of good things to say about Banny, all of which were right — guy’s makeup is off the charts, his fastball isn’t hard but it has some late movement, he has outstanding command and so on. And I said, “What about Burgos?”

And he said two words: “Bad guy.”

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one of Minaya's deals for Los Mets..LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.