Home Sports Talk
Options

Lane Kiffin - open mouth, insert foot and quickly make some enemies

Tennessee's Lane Kiffin has been reprimanded by the Southeastern Conference for falsely accusing Florida coach Urban Meyer of a recruiting violation, and the new Volunteers' had to apologize for his remarks.

Kiffin told fans attending a breakfast celebrate signing day that Meyer violated recruiting rules by phoning wide receiver prospect Nu'Keese Richardson, WVLT-TV reported.

NCAA and SEC officials say it is not against recruiting rules to contact a prospect while they are on an official visit to another school.

In a statement to ESPN, Kiffin apologized and said he was trying to excite the crowd of donors and alumni.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley called Kiffin's comments inappropriate, out of line and false.

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    God what a dufus. Tennessee must be wondering if this guy even knows the rules. Somewhere Al Davis is smiling
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Kiffin thinks his USC heritage trumps SEC decorum, in which case he is mistaken. Or maybe he is just not very public relations savy. Or maybe he is an idiot/dufus.

Going in a different direction, however I must ask:

What the heck kind of name is "Nu'Keese"?

How and why do parents come up with names like this? Is there a book at Barnes 7 noble titled "Unusual Baby Names For Athletes" that has a list of names like "Nu'Keese"?

Do parents choose these names because of personal vanity (wanting to draw attention to the kid and to themselves)?

How about I suggest to my teenaged son that when he become the proud dad of a baby boy he and his wife name the kid "Cid'ZeckQuanTyreeckBlingShoYoGimmeKlanTangWu".