Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Incredible 1913 Proof Cent realizes $27600!!!

And they thought MPLs were weak...

Economy Nothin'...4 X Price Guide for a 25/4 coin.

Incredible!

Linky

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks pq
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I am stunned!!!! I have always felt that MPLs are rare and undervalued but I wasn't expecting this. Congratulations to the new owner.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    What about the 1909 PCGS PR67RD that only went for $11,500 when the same coin sold for $19,550 in August? Doesn't this show some weakening in the Matte Proof market?

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there were some high end specimans that sold very well. I have posted all the hammer prices on the 1-28 list.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Crazy even IF someone had a guarantee from PCGS that it would 7 (although the obverse easily has claims to 7 - arguably to 8 - while the reverse is no more than a 6 for sure):

imageimage

I think someone artificially pumped up the market. We'll see I guess if/when the new owner makes it known it was for real.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats that black thingy hanging off the E in WE? I want to reach up on my screen and pick that thing off. Maybe a coin doctor will pick it off and it will become a 68RD someday. There is more detail in the beard on a better struck coin, this is a little weak. The reverse and obverse die pairs on the 13 aren't matched, you can get a fresh obverse, and a deeply granulated reverse. This one looks that way.

price was too high though.
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    First of all, another great job by WS by editing and putting the realized auction prices on the last list. Secondly, I'm trying to be objective here and I feel for the most part the prices were disappointing. Aside from the crazy '13 (which I don't get unless they think it's going to jump 2 points to a 68) and the '10s holding up, the '09s were very disappointing as were the '11s and '14. Very few met or exceeded the price guide. Maybe someone who saw these in hand can comment on the eye appeal or if the dogs just got what they deserved.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a strong 6, but not a 7. If it does go 7, I need to get some of my MPL's regraded. Most of the red examples that have come to the auction block in recent years have not been nice red examples. The 1913 was. Nice reds are rare as hens teeth. I liked the coin, and I'm glad to see red MPL's get some respect.
    Doug
  • Options
    I have been watching a lot of coins, and seen many selling for big bucks...even if this show ends in a down turn there are people willing to go the extra mile to get the coins they want at any price,,,,
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it goes with any collectible. The best of a particular type will always yield strong results. Sure that coin may not have been a legitimate 67. But for a red, it was all there. Personally, if I were buying a red MPL, I would want it to have just astonishing luster that leapt off the coin. I would want it to be beautiful, high end for the grade, and I would want to rest with the knowledge that in a few years, it will still command a red label. This 1913 had all of these things. The other RED coins in the auction? Not so much. The only other coin that even came colse was IMHO the 1910, but really, the 1913 was in a class all by itself.

Quality sells. Pretenders? Not so much.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A high hammer consists of two people wanting the same thing.
  • Options
    I think the prices realized on the 1913 and 1910 are indicative of the quality of these coins. I saw the 1909 PR67RD last summer in Baltimore, and I think my PR66RD is a better coin. Although I am always interested in upgrading my Registry Set (McCullagh Collection), I really like my 1913 PR65RD OGH, so I did not consider bidding on the PR66:

I did hear from someone that viewed the 1913 PR66RD and was told it is a monster coin. Good luck to the new owner and it is good to see quality Reds are holding their own!
    Jonathan
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Looks like yours is undergraded based on Brian's pics.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What about the 1909 PCGS PR67RD that only went for $11,500 when the same coin sold for $19,550 in August? Doesn't this show some weakening in the Matte Proof market?

Yes it does, like you point out here I see the weakness in the coins that are Low quality for the grade and continued strength in the quality for grade PCGS coins. The Heritage results backed this up pretty much across the board.

image >>

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    In looking at the close up Heritage picture of the 1913, are the white spots across the head of the portrait on the coin? Obviously, the long lines are scratches on the holder. Can anyone who saw the coin in hand tell us more about it?

Personally, I was in the bidding until it just went out of sight because I thought it was a nice 66. It went for too much money for me to buy it as a duplicate.

Doug
  • Options
    By the way, Heritage photos do nothing to show the eyepop of an MPL, which is what really makes these coins special. For comparison of photo techniques, here's a picture of mine. It has not been photchopped in any way, other than cropping and resizing.

Doug
  • Options
    Doug:
    That is one beautiful 1913 MPL. Congratulations!
    Jonathan
  • Options
    Agreed that is one nice 1913 beautiful coin..........
  • Options
    "I think someone artificially pumped up the market. We'll see I guess if/when the new owner makes it known it was for real."

I'm scratching my head on this one, as well. This coin's price stands out like a sore thumb with no clear reason in my mind. Why go so high? Maybe someone knows something I've not figured out or needs a registry hole filled. Is the coin a 68?? Having not seen it it hand, I can't tell. Doug is right ... photos just do not do a coin justice.

But anyway I may personally analyse it, congratulations and best wishes to the buyer.

Duane
  • Options
    I don't know how one person could artifically inflate the bidding on a coin? I watched the bidding on-line and noticed there were phone and floor bidders to the very end. As Michael said earlier in this thread:

A high hammer consists of two people wanting the same thing.

Sometimes that's all it takes.
    Jonathan
  • Options

All it takes is two people that think the coin will upgrade.

I remember a 12-S Lincoln in MS65RD that had a good shot at the lone 66. That coin went to the moon...literally, as I have not seen it since. I know the coin was tried several times with no luck. Now there is a $25K+ MS65RD 12-S Lincoln out there with nowhere to go!!

Jack

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    sans the rough spots on the holder....my 13 looks as good.

well 3/4's as good...i'll take only $20,000 for it!image

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most of the comments here. We saw RED examples and High end examples close enough to support the cash. But agin I want to point out..Whoever is buying, is not on this forum, or even has a PCGS set. If they did, we would see some movement UP with these coins. So far, NADA

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    hasn't it been a couple years since one of these sold?
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps I should inform you boys there are at least 3 players to buy a 1913 PR 67 red MPL at $40,000. Hence the price of
    $27,600 is still south of PR 67 money. The people who were bidding on this coin felt it was a PQ 66 and bid accordingly.

A 1913 in Proof 68 would be a $100,000 + coin.

The pop of the 1913 in Proof 66 is 25 so there should be more coming to auction.

Stewart
  • Options
    When you put it that way Stewart, the bid looks like a good bet from either an offensive or defensive position. DB