Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

50 piece versus 144 piece set

In assembling a registry quality commemorative set, which would Board members view as more impressive -- a 50 piece set with average grade of close to 66, or a 144 piece set in the 64 - 65 range.

Assume that either set is well chosen and not focusing solely on the numbers.
Higashiyama

Comments

• This is an interesting and fair comparison, as this week's grey has the 144pc set's ask in 5 @ $84,705 and the 50pc set's bid in 6 is $88,534. Practically no difference in value.
    I'd have to go with the 144pc set. Since it would cost about the same, I'd have fun getting all of them. image
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Moi aussi!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    Both would be impressive! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • I think the 144 set is more impressive and more demanding. But if I had the dough, I'd go 144 in MS66 or better. Grade notwithstanding, collecting the 144 set requires gettin a lot of low mintage coins by date and mintmark. The 50 coin set is should be considered a type set. In each case the single toughies (Hawaiian, Hudson, Spanish Trail etc. ) are impressive. But, the Grant star, the Alabama 2x2, the Missouri, and even some of the Washington-Carvers and Booker T. Washingtons can be elusive. I maintain that more coins are more fun than fewer, although I've come to believe that Wondercoin's perspective of top quality, low population (and I'd add low mintage) are significantly more impressive (but not affordable by all.

Finally, the advice I give all is the same I use myself...collect what makes you happy forget about the rest of the community.

• MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Go for the big set! After you complete it in 64-65, you will have a great base to work with on upgrades to the 66 level. What a challenge!
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    The 144 set. Just try finding some of those coins in nice grades. It's rather difficult even if you have the cash.
  • MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    I would go for the 50 piece set in high grade 66's. It seems to me that human nature indicates we are never fully satisfied knowing that there is something better out there. In this case, you would know that your 64s and 65s are not the best available and even though you have the satisfaction of having a complete set, you would feel some angst in your accomplishment. Just my opinion...

MarkJude
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been wrestling with this issue for a couple weeks now. First, I started out on the 144 pc. journey. Looking for quality (MS65/66 and better) this has proven very expensive thus far. But, imho, "quality" is the way to go with these Commems (even if it is a grade or two beneath finest known quality, as is the case with the set I have been building), because nice MS65/66+ coins simply look great. image

On the other hand, dropping back to the 50 pc. set allows flexibility to "stretch" on that really neat coin or two (e.g. 1934/35 Boone in MS67 or super low mintage coins I really like the future of such as a BTW in MS67).

As of today, I have decided to collect the 50 pc. set, along with complete sets of BTW and W/C on the side. So, my hybrid set would be roughly 80 pieces. And, this could change tomorrow, which is kind of the beauty of collecting these commems. You can make it as personal in nature as you want (e.g. collect ship coins, Oregons, 50 pc., 144 pc., coins with Presidents on them, monster color coins, etc.) image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    Only an 80 coin hybrid set? Come on now, that's not impressive. Go for the 144 piece and add all the varieties and proof strikings. Now that's a set. image
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg: I never said my 80 coin pursuit was "impressive" image

I have purchased some or (in 3/4 cases nearly) all of the coins from 4/5 ALL-TIME FINEST Mint State Silver Wash Quarter sets in the past 12 months. Only set I haven't bought is Bill Walser's #4 current all-time set, which he hasn't consigned to David Lawrence YET image

Believe me, 80 commems is plenty to go along with those Washington Quarters !! image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see: A 144 complete set that has viewers nodding in amazement at the beauty and splendor of it all or a 50 piece set that has them looking around the room wondering where their socks went. -I'd go for the 50 piece set. image

peacockcoins