Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Price Guide, a lot of “Green” in the MS side of the Kennedy Half Dollar

Just notice several of the high graded Kennedys on the MS side just went up in price. Has any of these coins trade recently? image

Or is this just another example of PCGS’S so called “Pricing Expert” making up stuff again? image

Comments

• Options
    I think PCGS wants to generate some more income, they raise values and end up selling more coins...without us collectors fighting for the best examples none of them would have jobs....
  • Options

<< <i>I think PCGS wants to generate some more income, they raise values and end up selling more coins...without us collectors fighting for the best examples none of them would have jobs.... >>

PCGS sells coins? I learn something new on this forum everyday.

I just looked at the PCGS price guide. I did not see any green or red. Just black. Is the OP looking at a different trend list or maybe it was some kind of glitch that PCGS corrected by the time I looked?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure since I am not in the market for but a few of them. But didn't some sell at FUN and by now they would be back to black.
    I like to see green there every once in awhile.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure since I am not in the market for but a few of them. But didn't some sell at FUN and by now they would be back to black.
    I like to see green there every once in awhile.
    image >>

Sly,

There was about twenty MS Kennedys listed in "green" last night, all top pop like the 1971, 1972, & 1982-P in MS67, the 1971-D, 1977-D, 1979 1991-P, 1991-D, 1992-P, 1992-D, 1994-P, 1994-D, 1995-D, 1998-D, 2003-P, 2003-D & 2005-P "Business Strike" in MS68 all got a $50 jump in price. I never saw any of these for sale recently. Just wondering why the bump in price, and what warranted the 50 bucks? Maybe the "Pricing Expert" is trying to justify his position so he doesn't end up on the "lay off" list image

Some of these are pop 1 or 2 coins for the condition / date and have not traded in years image

It just seems funning to me, when there is a public auction the prices are not adjusted and coins where there is no recent price history get a mysterious price increase (like no one will notice) image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they were adjusting for the fact that our money doesn't buy as much now?image

• Options
    They adjust the price like $50 a week for a few months until it gets to a more reasonable price. They don't want to double the price of a coin over night and admit that they were that wrong.
  • Options
    Between LindeDad's and LincolnsRules reply, I think they both head the "nail on the head" image
  • Options
    Green? I just checked and seen nothing but black. I don't think PCGS sell coins either.......image
    Earlycoin
  • Options
    PCGS can help control their own destiny, they actually dont sell "their own" coins but every thing they do ensures that the hobby stays strong, the creation of the Registry, collectors club, every thing they do is geared to the PCGS name. It is marketing at its finest.., they control the PCGS price guide is just another way to keep collectors interest one way or another, the bottom line like it or not it helps sell their brand name... and even if you dont agree some others will by buying PCGS slabs...in the long run changing prices in coins with no action is another way to entice collectors to find and send in more submissions...they are here to stay and every thing they do inadvertantly sells more slabs...they take a lot into consideration when changing prices, ebay auctions, and many other sources...it is just what we in business call the SWAG system,,,stupid wild ass guess...but one thing for sure it grabs everyones attention one way or another...and you remember their name...PCGS......marketing at its best....
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS can help control their own destiny, they actually dont sell "their own" coins but every thing they do ensures that the hobby stays strong, the creation of the Registry, collectors club, every thing they do is geared to the PCGS name. It is marketing at its finest.., they control the PCGS price guide is just another way to keep collectors interest one way or another, the bottom line like it or not it helps sell their brand name... and even if you dont agree some others will by buying PCGS slabs...in the long run changing prices in coins with no action is another way to entice collectors to find and send in more submissions...they are here to stay and every thing they do inadvertantly sells more slabs...they take a lot into consideration when changing prices, ebay auctions, and many other sources...it is just what we in business call the SWAG system,,,stupid wild ass guess...but one thing for sure it grabs everyones attention one way or another...and you remember their name...PCGS......marketing at its best.... >>

I understand you point a little better now. It is an interesting theory, and you stated your argument well. It certainly makes sense, from a marketing point of view. I am not willing to go as far as to think they manipulate the price guide to artificially make it look like PCGS coin values are still strong, as in the long run this can damage credibility. However, there is evidence to back up the OP's and your point.

1. Value changes used to stay green and red for a longer period. They now seem to go to black very quickly. It almost seems like they do not want you to notice. I looked at the trends shortly after the origional poster saw green, and I saw all black.

2. Increased prices without evidence of corresponding sales, in a down market. Hopefully, they have some evidence that we are missing. However, I have been buying a lot of PCGS Kennedy halves lately at a significant discount to the trends. Granted most were widgets. The only recent MS-68 I bought was a 2000-P. It is a top pop, but there are over a 100 at that grade, so not really a rarety. I won it on ebay at about 80% of current trend value. However, that said......................

In defense of PCGS, perhaps they are looking at things some posters here are not. Although low pop conditionally rare Kennedys may have no recent sales history, There is some evidence that the rarer coins are holding their value better than the overall market. Without perfect comparisons to work with, PCGS may be looking at other modern denominations with similar pops that do have recent sales (ie dollars, quarters, etc). They may have to use these as imperfect comparables to help interpalate value. I really prefer to think something along these lines better explains the pricing strategy, rather than the conspiracy theory of value manipulation. I just do not agree that PCGS would or need to go to those extremes...... Of course, I could be wrong. My tendency to view a glass as half full, rather than half empty; has left my quite thirsty on occassion.
  • Options
    "understand you point a little better now. It is an interesting theory, and you stated your argument well. It certainly makes sense, from a marketing point of view. I am not willing to go as far as to think they manipulate the price guide to artificially make it look like PCGS coin values are still strong, as in the long run this can damage credibility. However, there is evidence to back up the OP's and your point."

Thank you....I agree with you completly they do not manipulate the prices, but they do have a huge part of what people see as the values.
    One does not have to agree if it is close but it is mearly a guide line and it has been without question PCGS price values are the highest.
    I do believe directly and indirectly this has a huge affect on the market just for a reference point, some people follow some just check,
    but when a company as large as PCGS makes changes it is for two reasons, someone is seeing a change in the market affecting prices,
    so they adjust accordingly following the trends, second they are a business and the bottom line is dollars.

I feel PCGS has built a reputation on quality, trust, and honesty, unfortunatly at times they faulter but they do a great job overall IMOP.

If they did not create this in one form or another as a guide line, no prices except for supply and demand would control the values,
    this would be next to impossible to track with out the use of auctions in turn creating a track record. One coin in the exact grade and holder
    sells for $100.00, and the other sells for $400.00. Frenzy buyers? Over paid? Better looking coin? The list is endless. I have been in retail over 35 years and never once not seen a Marketing Director not trying to find a better way to sell the same apples as the competitor down the street.

Bottom line is one can do it better than another with a vision, better insight, management skills, etc...make no mistake they "sell" their own product in ways the consumer never sees...and they do it very well...

As for the prices it is just a small part of an overall business plan that has been made as part of the bigger picture,
    and that is to "sell" more slabs...PCGS...a business with excellent marketing plans....