Home Sports Talk
Options

Bob Costas leaves HBO for the MLB network

Bob Costas insists he is free to speak his mind about baseball, even though he's now an employee of the new MLB Network.

"The understanding I have is that I am free to make any comment that I deem appropriate, and that's what I intend to do," the 56-year-old broadcaster said Tuesday after his hiring was announced. "When there's journalism involved or when it's topical and a point of view is called for, then I think I'll express myself in the way people have come to expect me to express myself."

Costas said he spoke about his editorial independence with baseball commissioner Bud Selig and MLB Network chief executive officer Tony Petitti, and Costas said they both gave him assurances.

Costas' agreement does not affect his relationship with NBC, where he has worked since 1980. Although NBC doesn't televise major league games, it does report on them on its news programs and those of its affiliates.

"No, we don't have a problem," NBC spokesman Brian Walker said.

Costas hosted the MLB Network's first show on Jan. 1. He had hoped to continue broadcasting "Costas Now" on HBO, but the premium cable channel insisted on cable exclusivity.

"Bob Costas was a terrific addition when he joined HBO Sports eight years ago, providing us with a distinct and unique presence," HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said. "Television is about change, and we respect Bob's decision to move to the MLB Network."

Costas will occasionally broadcast games on the MLB Network's Thursday night package and will broadcast appreciations, retrospectives, interviews and commentaries. He probably will start most of his work for the MLB Network after NBC duties in May and June, and he anticipates he will average about three broadcasts per month.

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    This has disaster written all over it. Costas can't help but be critical, and baseball's decision makers will give him plenty of fodder to do so. Bud won't be too happy when the network that has been launched to promote the game has someone that is constantly throwing grenades in his direction.

I give Costas a year before he quits.
  • Options
    I expect Costas will push the envelope on several occasions to test the reaction of the MLB network.
  • Options
    go costas!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Costas will be great for the network.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    don't get me wrong, I generally like listening to Costas, especially as a play-by-play guy...I just think that the network might get tired of him taking baseball to task on whatever the debated topic of the day is.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭
    HBO's sports programming decisions have stunk of late.

Costas = success. Selig = disshoveled and overrated and overpaid!

I'll take Costas over Selig any day when it comes to wits and strategy.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

<< <i>HBO's sports programming decisions have stunk of late.

Costas = success. Selig = disshoveled and overrated and overpaid!

I'll take Costas over Selig any day when it comes to wits and strategy. >>

i must agree 100%
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, for one, am pleased that I can avoid Costas by only foregoing one channel.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Did Bob Costas have inside info on the Arod situation? Seems like he joined the MLB network just in time to crack that story.
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    good riddanceimage
  • Options
    costas will be next commish, no doubt