Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Whats the most popular registered set?

I was adding a few cards to the set registry for my 1968 set and I looked at the list of other '68 set builders and we equalled 25. I didn't feel like opening every year to see if any year has more then 25 recipients, so I put the question to the forum - Does '68 have the most?...jay

Comments

• Options
    Yes 1968 has the most with 25. 1975 comes in 2nd at 20. After that a tie between 52 and 56 with 17. After that quite a few tied and then drops off dramatically.

Sets with 10 or more registered at this time:

Basketball:
    61-62 Fleer basketball (sorry I had topps here)
    86-87 Fleer basketball
    Baseball:
    1952 Topps
    1953 Bowman color
    1954 Topps
    1955 Topps
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    1961 Topps
    1963 Topps
    1964 Topps
    1965 Topps
    1967 Topps
    1968 Topps
    1969 Topps
    1970 Topps
    1971 Topps
    1972 Topps
    1973 Topps
    1974 Topps
    1975 Topps
    Hall of Fame "set"

Football, Hockey, and Misc none with more than 10 sets.

Hope this helps you some.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I'm also betting that 68 has more "clandestine" set builders than any other year as well. I know we've talked about 4 or 5 other major players who've chosen not to list their sets for whatever reason. There may be other years with the same issue, but 68 seems to come to mind first.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    1961 basketball is Fleer not Topps
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jay,

I'm also surprised at how slowly many folks are progressing on the 68 set compared to how many 68's are sold on eBay. Except for yourself and Sulwap, most movement is a percent or a fraction of a percent at a time. I posted what 68's I had 2 months ago and have maintained 3rd position for much longer than I ever expected without adding anything.

But, then again - maybe thats the key to enjoying the set. A number of the 72 guys are starting to burn themselves out after 10%, 15% jumps every couple of months.

Oh well... its all still fun.image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I think most of the 1968 set collectors are hiding!

Rather than see which sets have the most number of people in the registry, I would like to know which sets have the highest total number of cards registered. (though I don't feel like figuring it out myself).

I.E. 1952 Topps has 3,000 cards registered in the registry
    1972 Topps has 2,000 cards registered, etc. etc.

Not sure what the numbers on that would be -- but I think that would be interesting (Perhaps even more so if one could easily see how many are registered, and what percentage of total graded that represents).

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mike - it would be even more interesting to take it one step further and find the number of "total sets" registered - i.e., the total number of cards on the registry for a given year, divided by the number of cards in the set.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I think you need to look at it from the viewpoint of # of entries in the registry and completion percentage... For intance, in 1964 Topps, there may be 13 set registered, but 6 are less than 5% complete and another 5 are less than 15% complete....you'd get a better picture adding up the percentages than just counting the entries.... my bet would be that either 52 Topps or 68 Topps Baseball will come out on top.....
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Frank, I said before on another message board, that even though I'm currently # 1 on the '68 set there are probably a half dozen or more that can blow mine out of the water, so even if I slowly add to it and always remain in the 1st slot, it will never be the best. So competition isn't a motivating factor since mine will never be the finest, the registry for me is just an easy way to keep track of my sets and there is always a record on the CU system regarding my cards, grades and serial #'s.
    And I also said on another post as well, that many registry participants just wants to see "his name in lights" with no thought about upgrading or completing his set. Laying around I have PSA cards of all Topps thru the '70's all Bowmans and other vintage as well. So say I wanted to list all my cards? That would encompass perhaps 75 different registry sets, while in essence I'm only working on 3, so 70+ would be fluff #'s...jay