Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which look do you prefer? 2-1814 CBH's

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just purchased these 2- 1814 Capped Bust Half dollars and don't have either one in hand yet,so I'm not sure how accurate the pics/scans are.One is raw and the other is slabbed.Which one do you like the best and which one is in the best condition assuming neither one has any problems.

imageimage


imageimage
Trade $'s

Comments

  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between them, #2
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I prefer the second one literally one million times more. It may have a weaker strike, but that first coin just looks off to me.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options


    << <i>I prefer the second one literally one million times more. It may have a weaker strike, but that first coin just looks off to me. >>




    i agree , i'm no expert and only have two nice ones for my type set(pcgs) ,but i would go for the second one.
  • Options
    If both of these pictures are remotely accurate, the second coin appears to be extraordinarily more original than the first.
    image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I like #2 the best. I presume the smudge is on the slab to the left of the shield.
    I'm thinking AU50 on that one.
    Dan
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭
    Well, obviously they're two different varieties.

    The first, I feel is just a bad photo, likely made by a scanner.
    The coin was misaligned in its striking.
    The stars are the strongest struck, but both the central devices on both sides are very weak.
    I would still grade it an EF-40, and very close to EF-45 depending on luster.

    The second is basically the opposite of the first one.
    The stars are weakly struck but the central devices seem to show slightly stronger strikes.
    There's also less luster in the photo/coin, and I'd still call the coin EF-40, 45 max.

    I'm stuck between which I like better and it would come down to seeing each in hand.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>which one is in the best condition assuming neither one has any problems. >>



    Number one has less wear/rub showing giving it EF IMO.

    Number two with the wear showing on the cheek and bust I max at VF-30

    And I see luster on neither of them.

    image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    i like #1's obv
    and #2's reverse

    if i had to chose i'd preffer #1 as the bottom one has that gunmetal gray with off shade flat spots that don't do a thing for me and at least coin #1 has an even appearence to it
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 image
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 looks more natural with some real skin on it.

    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

    "Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."


    ~Wayne
  • Options
    I like #2 better
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I like #2 the best. I presume the smudge is on the slab to the left of the shield.
    I'm thinking AU50 on that one. >>



    Actually, that isn't a smudge; it is the result of a sunken die. Here is my raw O-102a.

    image
    image

    To answer the OP I would prefer the first one because I don't own that DM.

    Edit to add: Plus the second one would probably cost more then I think it is worth due to the lable.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Well, obviously they're two different varieties.

    The first, I feel is just a bad photo, likely made by a scanner.
    The coin was misaligned in its striking.
    The stars are the strongest struck, but both the central devices on both sides are very weak.
    I would still grade it an EF-40, and very close to EF-45 depending on luster.

    The second is basically the opposite of the first one.
    The stars are weakly struck but the central devices seem to show slightly stronger strikes.
    There's also less luster in the photo/coin, and I'd still call the coin EF-40, 45 max.

    I'm stuck between which I like better and it would come down to seeing each in hand. >>



    What Stone said.
    I also like coin # 2 due to the variety as well as the look of the piece.

    edited to add - I just scrolled down and saw the slab for coin # 2.
    It is overgraded.
    A nice coin that is now forever buried in that plastic because the plastic
    "SAYS" it is worth more than it should be.
    Wish I sent my entire CBH set in to be graded the same day that one was graded....and oh yea - I got the same
    submitter of that coin to submit mine image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Nice coin Jim. Thanks for the correction.

    I also note the clashing on yours that wasn't apparent on the OPs coin; which I pick up now after seeing your coin.

    Dan
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, Dan, welcome back. Long time, no read.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    I like the second one for the originality, but the first could be a wild card depending on what it is in hand, but could also be the reason not to buy raw coins without seeing them in hand. The second has more wear than the XF 40 that I have (only an O-102 and not an A model) so I would tend to agree that it is overgraded. Cool variety though.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

    http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm with the group and prefer the look of the second coin.

    Very nice. image


    Mike
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the second, but would not pay more than EF money
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I think there is too much wear on #2 to be graded AU50.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭
    I like #1.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I like the slabbed one...it looks much more original, and it has the cool sunken die. The first one looks cleaned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file