Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

weak cameo?

here

From the pictures this just doesn't seem to me to be a deep cameo.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Wow, what's deeper cameo than this?

Looks as deep a cameo coin from those pictures as I've seen of any other DCAM coin.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    The shield doesn't look right to me.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all know that there are different degrees of cameo/ultra cameo contrast depending on the state of the dies. At some point in the sequence of striking coins, they go from ultracam to cameo. Same with PCGS deep cameo to cameo. At this point, it is a grey area as to how the TPG's will grade the piece. Some days it is an ultra, other days a cameo.

It is always a bit difficult making meaningful statements about cameo contrast from photos unless the coin is a moose. Mirror depth is also critical. Looking at the coin in question (and knowing that Heritage usually has crummy pics), it looks to me that it makes ultra cameo, but not by alot. I would also question whether this coin would make deep cameo at PCGS if cracked out, based on those photos IMHO.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    I've seen pictures of cameo's that looked liked SUPER DEEP CAMEO'S, and Deep cameo's that didn't even look cameo in the picture. The lighting makes all the difference....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file