Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Size of pliers needed to crack out coins...

Hi all,

I had read here that a pliers is one of the better tools to use to crack out PCGS coins, but I was just wondering how large of a pliers is needed to cut through the plastic (the 6" diagonal cutting pliers I currently have seems unable to do the job unless I'm missing something). Also, are pliers workable for NGC slabs too? (because again my current pliers will not do the trick)

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a thread where SG said he employs a pair of dikes to do it.

I forget what size they were?image

• Options
    I use a Dremel image

• Options
    I use a 7 1/2 inch Channellock end clamp pliers.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For NGC slabs I tape the ends with a hammer, pops right apart.

For PCGS I use end cutters. Large side cutters might work better but I have my method. Cutting straight in on the outside seam is my target, the center area cracks with it.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

All joking aside...if your going to crack a slab with pliers, dikes, nippers, etc....make sure you wear SAFETY GLASSES!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    And please dont drop it and let it roll across the floor till it hits a table leg and now its a lowly MS62.
    "One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And please dont drop it and let it roll across the floor till it hits a table leg and now its a lowly MS62. >>

That would happen to me! image
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember a thread where SG said he employs a pair of dikes to do it.

I forget what size they were?image >>

38D'simage

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    End cutter is what I use - Link. I have observed one major auction house using these on the bourse. They were cracking out Morgans at the rate of about 10 a minute.

Make sure you use a towel to cover the coin - the plastic shards that can be created are sharp and could injure your eyes.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember a thread where SG said he employs a pair of dikes to do it. >>

image (not that there's anything wrong with it)

P.S. I use the tool pictured above by Batman
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I remember a thread where SG said he employs a pair of dikes to do it.

I forget what size they were?image >>

38D'simage >>

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And please dont drop it and let it roll across the floor till it hits a table leg and now its a lowly MS62. >>

Can you explain how you do this and get a coin to upgrade???????????????????????????

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Can you explain how you do this and get a coin to upgrade???????????????????????????

image >>

Free Drop Rule

The cracker must lift the coin and drop it within one slab-length of and not nearer the broken slab than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a carpet or on a hardwood floor. When dropping the coin within one slab-length of the nearest point of relief, the coin must first strike a part of the chair leg at a spot that avoids interference by the wrong broken out slab and is not in a carpet and not on a hardwood floor. The coin may be cleaned when lifted under this Rule.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Thanks for the 2 serious replies to this thread image
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255

<< <i>image

All joking aside...if your going to crack a slab with pliers, dikes, nippers, etc....make sure you wear SAFETY GLASSES! >>

lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file