Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now's your chance to own a NGC Black Slab

PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
And one of the Key dates for the series too.

NGC 1940-D 25c BLACK LABEL
"It is what it is."

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Whoa...that's a rare occurrence

Edited for spelling
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn, I had that in my watch list.........So does everyone else now.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We ought to start a pool to guess what the final price will be.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, but if that seller is doing consignments, particularly something like this, they should really make the format easier to read.
    The way they wrote that up, and formatted it, is atrocious. Hard to read. Makes my head hurt and want to move on quickly.

Hope it gets some $$$ but I hope the seller learns to do much better with their formatting. But, I would think that, at over 6000 feedback, they are an old dog and won't change.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We ought to start a pool to guess what the final price will be. >>

It's already above my final price.
  • Options

My guess is $2000 with the winning bidder being Lane Brunner
  • Options
    I hope that hair is on the outside of the holder! image
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope that hair is on the outside of the holder! image >>

If not, you could just send it in for reholdering image
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this is a case of "Buy the holder color, not the coin."
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Darn, I had that in my watch list.........So does everyone else now. >>

We do now. image
  • Options
    I'll say around $2500 image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller will probably wonder what happened tomorrow when he see's that there are "437 people watching your item" image
  • Options
    Where's Oreville? image
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller will probably wonder what happened tomorrow when he see's that there are "437 people watching your item" image >>

After that, he may reason "Wow! I've got something really special here", and end the auction with "error made in listing" while he researches it to find out how much it's worth. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The seller will probably wonder what happened tomorrow when he see's that there are "437 people watching your item" image >>

After that, he may reason "Wow! I've got something really special here", and end the auction with "error made in listing" while he researches it to find out how much it's worth. image >>

Apparently the guy has an idea...he mentioned that other black slabs have gone for 4 figures.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Darn, I had that in my watch list.........So does everyone else now. >>

Same thing happened to a 1877cc dime I was watching the other day. image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> just don't get it with the ngc oldies, or for that matter the pcgs oldies, the anacs oldies, or the hall oldies etc etc etc, I am just looking for a great capped bust dime, at this point mr koolaide doesn't even give a crap if it is in someone's greasy nicotined stained hand as long as it's genuine, original, naturally vibrantly toned and over ms65. >>

Lucite encased fugio cents from the Bank of New York hoard are not the equal of the NGC black slabbed graded coins since the fugio cents were scrubbed clean by the unknowledgeable Bank of New York employees before encasing. Furthermore, they are no more than MS-60's prior to their cleaning.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were all the coins in black slabs put in backwards (at least by today's standard)?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>Were all the coins in black slabs put in backwards (at least by today's standard)? >>

Yes. At that time, the NGC logo was on the obverse, while the grade was placed on the back of the slab.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Were all the coins in black slabs put in backwards (at least by today's standard)? >>

Yes. At that time, the NGC logo was on the obverse, while the grade was placed on the back of the slab. >>

Thanks - that is interesting. I can see how they might have started out this way, I wonder what made them change? I can think of two things. 1) if selling a coin in a display case, they would look funny if you put the label up 2) when in a plastic box (if they existed then), they would also look funny. Anyway, it would be interesting if someone from NGC could shed some light on why they changed.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>Thanks - that is interesting. I can see how they might have started out this way, I wonder what made them change? I can think of two things. 1) if selling a coin in a display case, they would look funny if you put the label up 2) when in a plastic box (if they existed then), they would also look funny. Anyway, it would be interesting if someone from NGC could shed some light on why they changed. >>

I don't think it had anything to do with 'looking funny'; I think it had everything to do with trying to make the numerical grade the most important consideration in coin buying by emphasizing it in large numbers directly in your face (as opposed to discretely placing it in the back). The more important grades were, the more coins were submitted.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks - that is interesting. I can see how they might have started out this way, I wonder what made them change? I can think of two things. 1) if selling a coin in a display case, they would look funny if you put the label up 2) when in a plastic box (if they existed then), they would also look funny. Anyway, it would be interesting if someone from NGC could shed some light on why they changed. >>

I don't think it had anything to do with 'looking funny'; I think it had everything to do with trying to make the numerical grade the most important consideration in coin buying by emphasizing it in large numbers directly in your face (as opposed to discretely placing it in the back). The more important grades were, the more coins were submitted. >>

I thought I read somewhere that a marketing person felt it very important to have the NGC logo on the front of the slab.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think it had anything to do with 'looking funny'; I think it had everything to do with trying to make the numerical grade the most important consideration in coin buying by emphasizing it in large numbers directly in your face (as opposed to discretely placing it in the back). The more important grades were, the more coins were submitted. >>

I thought I read somewhere that a marketing person felt it very important to have the NGC logo on the front of the slab.

JJ >>

I also read this. For some reason the NGC customers thought it was more important to see the grade. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

JJ >>

I also read this. For some reason the NGC customers thought it was more important to see the grade. image >>

I think the current emphasis on what the label says vs. what the coin actually looks liek would be a lot different if they had stuck to the system of having the grade on the back.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice, but if that seller is doing consignments, particularly something like this, they should really make the format easier to read.
    The way they wrote that up, and formatted it, is atrocious. Hard to read. Makes my head hurt and want to move on quickly.

Hope it gets some $$$ but I hope the seller learns to do much better with their formatting. But, I would think that, at over 6000 feedback, they are an old dog and won't change. >>

1K and raising with nine days to go.
    I think the seller's doing alright.
  • Options
    So oreville, are you going after this coin?
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    My max bid will be $3,573.00

I wish you all the best luck.
  • Options

<< <i>My max bid will be $3,573.00

I wish you all the best luck. >>

You guys crack me up... I'd much rather have a 1932-D Washington in a new PCGS MS64 slab for that money... and I would probably get change too...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You guys crack me up... I'd much rather have a 1932-D Washington in a new PCGS MS64 slab for that money... and I would probably get change too... >>

You guys all crack me up....I'd much rather have a circulated 199x Washington in change and keep the rest of that money image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    What is the value of the coin in that grade? Just wondering.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the value of the coin in that grade? Just wondering. >>

$150 or so says the Greysheet... maybe up to $200 slabbed.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i just cannot understand collecting plastic slabs. if i had a stack of them
    they would be sold so fast into this mysterious black slab bubble.
  • Options

<< <i>i just cannot understand collecting plastic slabs. if i had a stack of them they would be sold so fast into this mysterious black slab bubble. >>

Ok then, just find the black NGC slabs.

The mysterious black slab bubble is waiting for you.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re "i just cannot understand collecting plastic slabs. if i had a stack of them they would be sold so fast into this mysterious black slab bubble. "

All I have to say is that i just cannot understand collecting rare coins. if i had a stack of them they would be sold so fast into this mysterious rare coin bubble.
    Mark

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

My guess is $2000 with the winning bidder being Lane Brunner >>

I enjoy your sense of humor! image

I really like these slabs. It will be interesting to see where it lands.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    [Observation deleted...misread the title...thought you had Black Lab puppies for sale....]
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    This would not be a hard thing for the country of china to reproduce. Heck it could be done here.lol
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    A green stickered black NGC slab should not go for anything greater than the $1300 to $1500 range for an inexpensive coin. A gold stickered black NGC would be worth a bit more.
  • Options
    Observation deleted...misread the title...thought you had Black Lab puppies for sale

That's hilarious............ lol
    My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I'll take the coin...you can keep the plastic. So do I get the coin for book value? Granted it does look nice to have the silver on black...but calm down. This is the epitome of buy the coin not the holder...isn't it?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A green stickered black NGC slab should not go for anything greater than the $1300 to $1500 range for an inexpensive coin. A gold stickered black NGC would be worth a bit more. >>

Why would anyone bother stickering a slab like this? It's the slab that counts and not the coin. Also, I'd be concerned with the glue on the sticker damaging the slab over a long period time---chemical etching of the glue into the plastic.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A green stickered black NGC slab should not go for anything greater than the $1300 to $1500 range for an inexpensive coin. A gold stickered black NGC would be worth a bit more. >>

Why would anyone bother stickering a slab like this? It's the slab that counts and not the coin. Also, I'd be concerned with the glue on the sticker damaging the slab over a long period time---chemical etching of the glue into the plastic. >>

I think that's a good point.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know acrylic is a petroleum product... but I didn't know an once of black was worth more then an once of gold image

I'm sorry this is totally just buying the plastic not the coin... nice to see that in this economy there's still STUPID money being spent! image

The MS64 Washie above is available for $999.99 and I'll include a Free 4' x 8' x 1/2" Sheet of Black Acrylic fully shipped! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Re "i just cannot understand collecting plastic slabs. if i had a stack of them they would be sold so fast into this mysterious black slab bubble. "

All I have to say is that i just cannot understand collecting rare coins. if i had a stack of them they would be sold so fast into this mysterious rare coin bubble. >>

two things to note.

one defender of the black slab is an owner of them and actively promotes them on this board. Of course he takes offense to my opinion.

the next person basically attempts to make me look foolish by using
    my own words against me. as if everything is considered collectible
    if a few people out of a few billion just happen to put them aside
    and call them collectibles.

hey mark, i have a few dog turds i can sell you. they are highly collectible. you want in?

---------

lets face it.. people are paying stupid money for these.. and it seems
    quite apparent to most here. who gives a rat's butt about the history
    of a TPG that has a goal of making money from said collectors? I guess
    some here cherish that. heh.

the mystery behind old slabs was the thought the coin was undergraded
    and worth paying a premium for. Now that has been warped into thinking
    that the slab itself is worth the premium no matter the coin inside it.
    rather odd that and continues my belief that most collectors are
    lemmings at heart. Just follow the crowd. Soon others will be posting
    black slabs found where ever and people will be oooh and aaahing
    over them.

nuff said
  • Options

<< <i>Why would anyone bother stickering a slab like this? It's the slab that counts and not the coin. Also, I'd be concerned with the glue on the sticker damaging the slab over a long period time---chemical etching of the glue into the plastic. >>

I cannot answer the 2nd half of the question. I have seen glue getting removed from these old slabs after 20 years without harming the plastic shell.

Regarding the first half of the question; the reason I sticker the black NGC slabs whether they are gold or green is that I am not going to make an exception for the black slabs as ALL my slabs have been reviewed for stickering.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fc:

I did not attempt to make you look foolish. I thought you did so quite well by yourself. The point I was trying to make is that compared to the overwhelming, vast majority of the population, we coin collectors look foolish. My slight paraphrase of your comment is what I expect those who do not understand why we collect coins would say. Because you and I are collectors, we think that paraphrased statement foolish because we enjoy collecting. Presumably those who like to collect slabs do so for the precise same reason we collect coins: They enjoy it.

Mark

PS: Thanks so much for your offer of dog poo. I will pass because, as it happens, I have cats so I guess my collection is comprised of cat poo. I can't understand why anyone would collect dog poo when they could, instead, collect cat poo.... But if you happen to prefer to collect dog poo, well my attitude is that's perfectly fine with me.
    Mark

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I hope it doesn't go for much

the chinese could make these easier/better than the newest slabs
  • Options
    Wow, I've never seen nor heard of this particular black holder - a 40-D Quarter. Could go anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000.

You better believe it.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file