Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

rotated dies?

Back in 1816, were the rules the same as today? I have a g-4 1816 large cent that the reverse is rotated about 45 degrees. I need to know if this would add any value to the coin. I bought the coin for $24 dollars a couple years ago, and have recently noticed the rotation. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This site doesn't always work.

Most of the old coins have a lot of rotated dies. Someone
    with more specific knowledge should be along.

Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Well its the first one I've seen (being this old) or have had in my collection for 25 years. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well its the first one I've seen (being this old) or have had in my collection for 25 years. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this. >>

They do list two rotations for this. It doesn't say if they are the same die pair or not.

When dies rotate they normally shift in small increments until they reach a point that the
    rotational forces are in balance. Normally this will be primarily determined by the desings
    of the die. They will rest where the most die fill is opposite the least die fill typically but
    there might be multiple points of stability.

I believe that if the designs don't offer any truly stable positions then the die can continu-
    ally rotate from the rythmm of the press and adjoining presses. This would explain the
    near random orientation of some tokens.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file