Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advice for a first time dealer

This March I will find myself on the other side of the table at a local coin show. What advice would you give a "first timer"? Anything i should be concentrating on? Thanks Guys

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Watch all hands
  • Options
    Keep a close eye on people handling your coins and be willing to
    negotiate at least a little.
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Oh boy - look out for the vultures!! (er: other dealers) image
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Seriously though, you may get the other dealers stopping by at set-up to see if you are under-priced on certain items, and they will try to cherry pick you. I know this first-hand experience - it is tough being the new guy. I started "on the other side of the table" a little over a year ago, and most dealers would stop by while you were setting up to see if they could steal anything for a cheap price - thinking you are a novice and may not know what to price everything. Then, they pretty much kept to themselves. Basically, I was the "new guy" invading their territory.

Also, if you are doing it alone, as I do, you have to watch out for people taking coins. It happens, and if you don't watch them and their hands like a hawk, it will happen to you. It is tough to take a break while being the only person.

But - have fun and talk with the other dealers. They are a good source of information, and will eventually warm up to you.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Bring what you feel is appropriate for the buying crowd at the show. I made the mistake of setting out a lot of inventory that was great but not the sort that moves at a local show once. Sold all of the stuff that I didn't figure would be of much interest though.

Bring windex and paper towels. Those glass cases get smudged up pronto.

Know your inventory so you don't have to look much up.

Have enough change as you can't count on the customers to have it.

Be prepared to be fresh meat. Seasoned dealers will descend on you like sharks to see if you have anything interesting and try to pick you for peanuts at the beginning and at the end of the day.

Don't show too many coins simultaneously.

If there is a sales tax requirement for coins where you are, make sure you have the required seller's permit and that you collect tax as applicable. I know most dealers will say to forget this. Really depends on where you are, the laws, the day of the week, and how aggressive the state revenuers are.

Have fun and relax.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>Also, if you are doing it alone, as I do, you have to watch out for people taking coins. It happens, and if you don't watch them and their hands like a hawk, it will happen to you. It is tough to take a break while being the only person. >>

Definitely. I know of a case where a dealer got slight-of-hand ripped off big time before. Showed an expensive Morgan dollar to the person. It was handed back and the dealer put it back in his case only to realize minutes later, to his horror, that the coin returned was a much more common one. Same date, different mint mark, same grade and same look. Always look at what you get handed back.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Carry a gun image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember... Knowledge is KING... Don't let NO ONE take advantage of you, including dealers.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try these for lots of good ideas:

Here's one thread

IMO the best thread on this topic

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    thanks guys, this stuff is priceless
  • Options
    If you don't keep all of your inventory in the glass case or elsewhere on the table, please let your customers know as they pass by. Sometimes they are looking for specific items that you could easily have with you at that time, but not visibly.
    For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • Options

<< <i>If you don't keep all of your inventory in the glass case or elsewhere on the table, please let your customers know as they pass by. Sometimes they are looking for specific items that you could easily have with you at that time, but not visibly. >>

And be careful about waht you keep on your backup table. (Know the dealer on the other side...with an adjacent backup table.)
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file