Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Derrick Thomas enters the Hall of Fame!

I just thought he deserved his own topic. Derrick Thomas finally makes it into the Pro Football Hall of Fame! I've been a Thomas fan for as long as I played football. He was always one of the players I idolized growing up. One of the most feared outside linebackers in the nineties, tragically died in a car accident while still an active player. He meant and still means a lot to the Kansas City area. He finally makes the HOF in 2009! Well deserved honor for such a great player.

Lastly, for the HOF collectors out there. I've been tracking his autos for the last year and noticed a plethora of his 1991-1992 Pro Line autos for sale in the last six months. I'm a little skeptical of the seemingly endless amount, so be warned! However I did feel safe with a 1993 Pro Line auto.

Comments

• Options
    DT!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    He deserves his enshrinement. 7 sacks in one game
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    really dont understand the Football HOF voting/standards. DT should have been elected years ago. and am I correct in stating that cris carter, was NOT selected for enshrinement?
  • Options
    No, Derrick Thomas doesn't deserve to be in the HOF because he had one game with 7 sacks. He deserves it because of the fear he put in opposing defensive coordinators and tackles. The man was a beast on the field! He was to the nineties what Lawrence Taylor was to the eighties. It's my belief, players like him changed the way the game was played.

As far as Cris Carter, he'll make it somewhere down the line, similar to Art Monk's path. Remember, the NFL can only induct 7 at a time. Bruce Smith and Rod Woodson happened to be on this years ballot further reducing the chances of previous players.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, I've been a Chiefs fan since the days of Len Dawson and Otis Taylor.
    But Derrick Thomas was no Lawrence Taylor. Sure, he probably belongs in the HOF, but he was really soft against the run. Kind of one diminsional, very good at blitzing and getting to the QB, but not near the all around player LT was.
    Just check the stats on how many tackles DT had compared to LT.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

woooooooohhhhhhh---- back the the truck up!!! Derrick soft?? I think you took one too many shots to the helmet there good buddy!! I don't go as far back as you..i only have to go to my friend Christian Okoye(APU ALUM) for a response--"When he passed, he had 127 sacks, 40 forced fumbles, and 16 fumble recoveries. He had 59 sacks his first 4 years. Not only did he have a 7 game sack, he threw a few 6's in there fore good measure". I suggest you check and see what Ray Ray has done his first 4 seasons.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

btw--Congrats to Bruce Smith--well deserved.. Only had 44 sacks his first 4 years. I ain't gonna tell Bruce he is soft!!
  • Options

<< <i>woooooooohhhhhhh---- back the the truck up!!! Derrick soft?? I think you took one too many shots to the helmet there good buddy!! I don't go as far back as you..i only have to go to my friend Christian Okoye(APU ALUM) for a response--"When he passed, he had 127 sacks, 40 forced fumbles, and 16 fumble recoveries. He had 59 sacks his first 4 years. Not only did he have a 7 game sack, he threw a few 6's in there fore good measure". I suggest you check and see what Ray Ray has done his first 4 seasons. >>

Yes, I said soft against the run. Marty even at times took him out of the game on first downs when he thought the other team would run. Believe me, there was no one else you wanted in there on third and long, but he was soft against the run.
    LOL. All the stats you posted have to do with sacks and fumbles, which is fine, but did you check the tackling stats?
    If not mistaken Lawrence Taylor had almost twice as many tackles as Derrick Thomas. LT was a complete Lincbacker, DT was not.
    Simple as that.
  • Options
    Lawrence Taylor, the best Outside Linebacker the game had ever seen in the statistical sack era....in the eighties.....when did the sack become a statistic? I believe in 1982.....Here comes DT in 1989....the nineties.....that was Derrick Thomas decade of dominance for outside linebackers...LT led the way....DT carried the torch from there....I know how great LT was....the play I'll never forget is in the 1990 NFC championship game vs the Niners....when he hit Roger Craig and force a fumble with less than 5 minutes left.....That ended the Niners dynasty...Trust me...I know a thing or two about the OLB position...they were both great and both well deserving of the Hall of Fame...
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>woooooooohhhhhhh---- back the the truck up!!! Derrick soft?? I think you took one too many shots to the helmet there good buddy!! I don't go as far back as you..i only have to go to my friend Christian Okoye(APU ALUM) for a response--"When he passed, he had 127 sacks, 40 forced fumbles, and 16 fumble recoveries. He had 59 sacks his first 4 years. Not only did he have a 7 game sack, he threw a few 6's in there fore good measure". I suggest you check and see what Ray Ray has done his first 4 seasons. >>

So your rebuttal that Thomas was weak against the run is to list a bunch of Thomas' stats against the..........pass? Come again?

Thomas was a linebacker who never even had 80 tackles in a season. Heck, he had FIVE seasons under 50 tackles. That's THREE a game. From a starting linebacker? Are you kidding me?

Tabe
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    What took so long?
  • Options
    Simply one of the most dominating players I've ever seen on the defensive side. Should have been voted in a long time ago.
  • Options
    Richard Dent should have gone in before Thomas
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    well deserved!!!

bravo
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    RIP DT!
    Roll Tide!
  • Options

<< <i>What took so long? >>

MBmiller, Tabe and I have been explaining what took so long, We're mostly falling on deaf ears. If Derrick were a complete linebacker, he would have been first ballot just like Lawrence Taylor. Tabe mentioned Derrick never even had 80 tackles in a season. LT's best season he had over 130 tackles. That's the difference between a one dimensional LB'er and a complete LB'er, because LT was as good a blitzer as DT.
    Again, I'm a lifelong Chiefs fan who saw most of DT's games on TV and think he probably should get in the Hall of Fame, but he should never be compared to LT.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>really dont understand the Football HOF voting/standards. DT should have been elected years ago. and am I correct in stating that cris carter, was NOT selected for enshrinement? >>

It's pretty simple. The football HOF voting process is one that requires the players to be measured against one another. They start with a list of over 100 nominees, that gets reduced to 25 modern era semifinalists, then to 15 modern era finalists, then to 10, then to 5.

Those final 5, along with the 2 senior candidate selections are put to a yes/no vote, in which they need 80% for induction. Prior to this year, Derrick Thomas had never made that final 5. He has been in the final 15 every year eligible, and made the cut to the final 10 the last couple of years.

The problem is, and the same goes for Cris Carter, there are only 5 slots. When you have 44 different opinions voting, and you have a list of 15 guys, who are all deserving of HOF status, there are going to be guys left out every year. Its a mjority rule thing, and unless the guy is Bruce Smith, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, etc, making it on the first ballot is pretty tough, because there's already a line in front of you made up of guys who are also deserving and have also been waiting even longer to get inducted.

The football HOF is certainly much more exclusive than inclusive. It is a process that makes the voters compare and contrast and then come to a consensus. Although Thomas didn't get in the last few years, there was no doubt that eventually he would find his way to the final 5, and once there would receive the 80% vote. The same can be said for Cris Carter, he WILL eventually get in. But there are only 5 slots to go around, and I think the voters try and be as fair and objective as possible by "spreading the wealth" to multiple positions and to multiple teams each year.

Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith will dominate the votes next year. Next years finalists will probably have FOUR WRs and a pass catching TE..Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, and Shannon Sharpe. Chances are only one, two at the most of those 4 will get in. Because as I stated, the voting over the years has shown, that for the most part the voters like to spread their votes among multiple positions each year. I'd put money on Richard Dent making it next year, as he will be the top defensive player on the ballot.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.